“The Hotel Bellevue is THE best!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Bellevue Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Mauro Comite, 26, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #24 of 31 hotels in Amalfi
Waitsfield, Vermont
“The Hotel Bellevue is THE best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Bellevue in June for the second time; this time I was with my mother and sister. Once again, Amalfi and this hotel were the highlights of the trip. I've been to Amalfi on three other occasions, and stayed here on my last trip. I can't imagine visiting Amalfi without staying at the Hotel Bellevue. It is my favorite hotel in my favorite place in Italy! Quite frankly, my sister and my mother were ready to just stay there and skip Firenze and Tuscany.

I have been all over Italy many times, and without question, this is the best 3-star hotel I've been in. The hotel is lovely, as is the staff. It is operated by Tomas and his son, Antonio. Both are warm, friendly, and helpful; and Tomas especially is quite entertaining. Both speak excellent English; Tomas also speaks German, French, Spanish, and at least one other language fluently.

The rooms in the hotel are large and newly updated. The rooms on the front side of the hotel have beautiful terraces with tables, chairs, and flowers, that overlook the sea. The view from the terrace alone is worth the price! I don't know of any other hotels in Amalfi that offer such a large terrace with such a spectacular view. The rooms themselves are very spacious and comfortable; the bathrooms are also very nice.

Breakfast is quite sufficient - croissants, breads, meats, and cheese. Delicious coffee -- and fresh squeezed orange juice, from the sweet oranges of the region. The OJ is quite amazing.

The hotel is about a quarter mile outside of town. As a result, it has a more more relaxed feel to it, and there's much less noise in the evening. I've walked to town and back repeatedly - during the day and in the evening, and it is a nice 15-20 minute walk, although it is uphill on the return trip.

Tomas and his staff have provided excellent recommendations for dinners, as well as for other activities. My husband and I stayed here 3 years ago -- Tomas was very helpful in directing us to pathways all over the region to hike -- as well as places to see along the way.

I am already thinking about my next trip to Italy. I plan to stay in Amalfi for the entire time -- at the Hotel Bellevue. It is the Best!!

• Stayed June 2009

309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Melbourne ,Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

After booking Bellevue Suites I read reviews and nearly cancelled our booking.
We found nothing negative about the owner and his son.Our room was bright and clean with a balcony with table and chairs which had great views .Large clean bathroom.We had free parking .The website did quote shuttle bus but instead offered a drop off pick up down in the town by car.Walk to town o.k during daylight but difficult after dark The Hotel is very easy to find .We had one great day on the stony beach.A lift down( 3 stories this was opposite and up the hill from the property)through a tunnel onto the beach Couches umbrellas (At a cost) a cafe and bar there too.We were given excellent information on eateries and had a terrific tour to Pompeii organised by Hotel.The no food drink policy in the room was not a problem as the prices were very reasonable.Would have liked a snack menu available.!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

This hotel is immaculately kept, has incredible views, and is a 10 minute walk from the town of Amalfi. We were picked up by a staff member in the town after arriving by bus at no charge (though after that they charge about 6 euro for rides to and from the town). The rooms were spacious and clean, and the breakfast was very good. The hotel is run by an elderly man and his son, and it is clear that they take great pride in running their hotel and keeping it clean and quiet. We were initially concerned by other reviews that it would be unpleasant, and although he was a bit unfriendly at times, all other staff members were incredibly pleasant and helpful. One strange aspect was that they offer a hotel bar and room service, but it seems that they don't really want guests to take advantage of these services. For example, they ask you not to eat in your room, and when we went for a drink at the hotel bar around 10pm, the owner seated us at a small table in the hotel lobby because the other tables were being set up for breakfast. Overall, this hotel is a great 3-star option in Amalfi, particularly for couples on a quiet, romantic vacation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Stoke On Trent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

Similarly to a previous reviewer I nearly cancelled our booking on the strength of the number of critical reviews but I'm glad I didn't. The welcome was warm and we were upgraded to a better, (very pleasant), room for no extra charge and the management were very helpful at all times. The house rules are no different to most hotels and I certainly didn't find them onerous.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

A beautiful, spotlessly clean hotel. We had a lovely room with a seaview from the bed over our terrace. The best bathroom we had on our 5 week trip in Italy with the biggest shower. We were a bit unlucky with the weather but still had a great stay in Amalfi. We walked into Amalfi, about 10 mins, but there is a bus if you want. The staff were very helpful with booking tours and information about the area and anything else we wanted. We had two of the best meals we had in Italy at this hotel, cooked with fresh ingredients from the hotel's organic garden which you can see from the roof, looking back up the terraces behind the hotel.
The rules didn't bother us, we don't go on holiday to sit in our room and eat anyway. I don't put my shoes on the furniture when I am at home either. I would certainly book this hotel again and I hope I get the chance to.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

Hotel was wonderful. Immaculate, Service was excellent. The owner Thomaso organized everything for us and made our stay in Amalfi that much more enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

Whatever you do, do not book at this hotel. I recently made a reservation for our upcoming trip to Italy. We gave our deposit for 2 nights ($300CDN). Unfortunately, we had to cancel due to a family tragedy. I cancelled well over 3 monthes in advance (cancellation policy is 2 weeks), & I am yet to get my refund back. Antonio keeps promising to refund my card, but now he is now even returning our calls or emails. I have filed a complaint with Visa, so they are taking care of it. It has just been alot of aggrevation. I have heard nothing but bad things about this place & now I can see why!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Bellevue Suites? Share your experiences!