“The best meal of my week in Italy” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 93 restaurants in Amalfi
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Concord, NH
“The best meal of my week in Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Let me start this review by giving proper kudos to my server Alex. He was quite personable and passionate. He was concerned that I wanted to sit outside, being November and all. I assured him I am from a cold climate and high-50's F is quite comfortable for me. Please note this restaurant has to be "found", not that it's difficult to get to, but it is not in the main piazza or street. After being seated, I perused the menu and he gently inquired what I liked. When I mentioned that I am a seafood fanatic, he suggested the special clam dish that day as a starter. When he inquired further and was assured that I enjoy whole grilled fish(many Americans are still offended when their food still has a head and eyes) he suggested the Sea Bream.
Both dishes were fantastic and perfectly executed. The clams were simply sauteed in a nice garlicky broth. The sea bream came with one of the most perfumed local lemons I've ever smelled and the juice was likewise a combination of sweet and sour which was perfect for the fish. The homemade bread, grilled veggies, local olive oil and regional wine all complemented my meal harmoniously. I can say without a doubt this was the first time I've felt a server literally "read my mind" regarding what I wanted to eat and how it should be paced. We had some great conversation as well about the differences between the north and the south as well as soccer and traveling. Keep in mind this was fairly late at night in the low season. I am told experiences can be quite the opposite when the tourist season in Amalfi is in full swing. I however had one of the best meals of my life with nearly one on one attention. Thanks again!

• Visited November 2013

89% Recommend
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent restaurant in lovely setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This restaurant is set off the Main Street behind a small church. There is an outdoor section which is delightful in the shade or cool of evening. The food was excellent - seafood antipasti,and two delightful seafood pasta dishes, lim one creme cake. Service helpful, friendly and charming with good wine advice. You can watch the local residents gather and chat or pass by while you dine. One of the most enjoyable dining experiences of the trip around Italy.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Golden, Colorado
“It was not only the Best Meal once, we came back the next day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is just simple the hidden Jewel in town, not only the best sea food ever, I grew up in Venezuela where the sea food and the cuisine is good, we tried the Chef recommendation and for me is the best Cartocho I ever had in my life, the kids try red sauce pasta but still now a days the kept saying if we can come back there, my husband enjoyed the shrimps and try oysters with pasta for 2nd time in his life and he just loved it, the lady who serve us, treat us like we were family, I just simply believe they have the Best Chef in town, in a short visit trip of Amalfi, (3 days) we had to come back again and trust me the town itself has the best food in Italy. Thanks to the people that recommend that to us, in town.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Great find in Amalfi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Really enjoyed our evening at Il Buonvicino. The restaurant is just away from the main drag in Amalfi and it was fun following signs up the staircases that litter the town. Lovely ambiance in the courtyard and we were lucky enough to eat outside even in late October, though it got a little chilly towards the end of the evening.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Budapest, Hungary
“Peaceful corner in Amalfi - but no more...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were really glad to find this nice restaurant, extremely perfect place - hidden from the busy main street. We even told ourselves that no matter what the food will be, this place is worth it... Well, after the "sea fish plate" and a lamb dish we were a bit disappointed. My "sea fish plate" had no fish at all. Some shrimps, squid and grilled, bitter pumpkin soaked in gallons of olive oil. Well, fine - maybe it was a mistranslation on the menu, one wrong meal is always on a tourist's risk-list. The other meal we ordered was lamb. It was really chewy (I guess poor sheep was older than the church nearby), and 2/3 of the 'meat' was either fat or bone.

All in all we could eat pretty much half of a children-portion. If they didn't serve bread, I had remained hungry. Surely you can't really complain, because the waiters didn't really speak English - and we felt that the 55 € for 5 bites of bad food is quite overpriced. And we truly had this feeling that we got a bad service because we were tourists.

I'm quite sure that they are not always like this - and maybe we had a bad luck, they had a bad day. And there might be a lot of maybes - but one thing is sure: I'll prefer to avoid this restaurant.

• 1 of 5 stars Food