“Truly exceptional” 5 of 5 stars
Review of NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi

You added NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi to your Saves list
NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Annunziatella, 46 | Amalfi Coast, City Centre, 84011 Amalfi, Italy (Formerly Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5% EXTRA DISCOUNT
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
GreenLeadersGold level
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Truly exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed here during our honeymoon and we enjoyed it very much indeed. To kick off with the best part: I think it will be hard to find a more stunning view on the Amalfi coast than the view from the terrace of Convento di Amalfi. Just sitting there with breakfast, a drink or dinner is breathtaking. The latter comes with local live music which was very nice too.

We had a great room supporting a balcony with seaview, which is just as good as the views from the main terrace. Although the hotel has a beautiful pool, they offer a private beach too which is only 10 mins by boat and is a nice spot to take in some sun. Although the hotel sits high on the hills, the road to the centre of Amalfi is very short - part of it can be done with a lift, so the difference is only 90 steps. A small price to pay for being able to walk up into the town and enloy dinner there.

The staff was exceptionally friendly, and no effort is spared to help you. A special thanks to the guys at the valet car service - they even lowered the top of our convertible for us so that we did not have to step in a hot car. Great service.

If you want to stay in Amalfi, choose this hotel - it will not dissapoint!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Had a lovely 5 day break at the end of August with my husband to celebrate my 40th birthday. The hotel is stunning, staff very welcoming and friendly, service excellent and the views are amazing. Worth upgrading to a Junior suite with a view as had a huge terrace with sunbeds and spent many an hour watching the boats and activity in the harbour. Didn't want to leave and will definitely return. Thank you to the hotel for making my birthday so special.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Grand Hotel Convento and very much enjoyed ourselves. It is definitely geared towards providing a luxury experience. That being said, the fire alarm was situated directly over our bed and had two rapidly flashing red lights that substantially lit up the room. I normally sleep through anything, but found it distracting. We thought the batteries might be low but when we checked at reception we were told it was normal. I have to say this was a huge negative for me - we've never stayed anywhere with that sort of light issue and it was surprising to find it at a five star that is geared to quality. I should say that we booked in advance and at $450/night I think we had one of the most cost effective rooms. Our ocean view was a window situated high above the desk - the room was still very beautiful - but if you are reserving the most cost effective room then you should be prepared for this. Breakfast was delicious and the setting wonderful. We took advantage of the private beach which is included in your room cost - you have to take a ferry to the beach (for which you are provided vouchers and a schedule) and once at the beach you are provided with beach chairs and towels. The pool area is small but lovely. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. One caution - in August there are lots of mosquitoes. While walking to the pool we stopped to admire the beautiful flowers and lemons and were bitten like crazy. By the end of our stay I had at least 10 itchy bites - so bring some repellent!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

We spent our 20th wedding anniversary at the Convento and it was overall a great choice. Lovely exclusive setting overlooking Amalfi, beautiful terrace for breakfast and dinner, and great (smallish) pool. Easy access to town (we mostly took the scenic steps down and the hotel shuttle back), for dinner in Amalfi. The hotel provides free access to a pebble beach 10 min away by boat and its worth going to mingle with the locals! Our only complaint is that free wifi is only available in the lobby - otherwise its via cable in your room and around €10 per 24 hours. The hotel is classy and should thus be fully wired up to serve the many patrons swishing around with iPads etc But we loved it and feel nervous about reviewing it since we are afraid it will be fully-booked next time we want to go there! Grazie

• Stayed July 2011
Kent girl in Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights as part of our honeymoon and was the place I was most looking forward to staying at.

The pros: We were upgraded on arrival to a room with a small balcony (not sure what they called it), which was nice.
The views from the hotel were amazing.
Breakfasts were good.
Pool area was nice, as were the other outdoor areas.

The cons: The room was a bit tatty, tiny and in my view, did not represent value for money (even with the upgrade). The bathroom was designed in a very odd way - the shower door opened outwards, towards the sink unit, leaving a gap of 4 inches for you to squeeze through - more if you push the door and manoeuvre around it - but very awkward unless you are a very skinny minnie.
Staff were ok, but the service felt very impersonal - obviously the staff had been well trained but it felt very rehearsed and unnatural.
Free shuttle bus was good but sometimes didn't run when they were meant to so we'd have to walk back from the town centre after waiting around for 20 minutes. The walk itself was fine and we enjoyed it but sometimes we just wanted to get back without sweating up the steps!

I felt very disappointed by the hotel, which is probably down to a combination of my expectations being high and the cost of it. If it was a third of the price then I'd have been very happy I'm sure!

Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

The location, indeed a great setting, wonderful views, splendid coast, the small scattered villages etc.. all truly beautiful!

The downside is that it location/area is very attractive for tourists and especially the hotels take the advantage of that. Knowing that, one can expect steep prices, especially for all the extras.
On top there is little space, which results in high parking cost (sometimes even with some walking). Also the use of taxi’s is relative expensive.

The hotel was beautiful set alongside the cliff with stunning views. We had a junior suite, and yes had to fork out quite a bit. That was our choice as we wanted to have a superb 5 days break.
The room was large, all in; the bathroom very nice with a rain shower and a big tub. Next a very nice balcony (large) with chairs and of course the beautiful views.
The missing elements were a few hooks to hang up the bathrobe or even used towels; no coffee/tea making facility, which one may expect for an upscale room. What also was not top was the detail of 'updating' the room (as putting out new bath soap flacons etc.), and that for several of the 5 days.

As a frequent traveler (around the globe) my feel was that most of the staff had not gotten any other experience then in the local hotel business. It certainly would have helped to have some other 5star expertise in the house to lift those last flaws to make it a truly perfect stay.

Internet connections in many hotels still are outrageously expensive, so they were in the Convento. Well I was on holiday and did not want to connect every hour so went to the lobby where wireless was available. Staff gave me every time free access vouchers, so can't complain about that.

Breakfast offered all and when something was not available, one could ask. Staff is very friendly and helpful.
The quality of the food in the restaurant was good too. When one is not a fish lover, than the choice is becoming more limited. But that will be the case in many restaurants in a coastal area.

Amalfi, to me, was the least touristy out of the cities in the area and therefore to my liking. The hotel was one of the two best (next to Catharina) and, when coming back to this area, I would love to stay here again.

Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Spent my 60th birthday at this hotel and boy was it good. A slight problem with the room on arrival was quickly resolved and for the rest of the 7 days we were there it was fab-u-lous. The staff were always attentive, the food was gorgeous and the views magnificent. If I am still around on my 70th we'll be back.

Room Tip: We booked a double room and the air con was not working so they upgraded us to a Junior Suite. I wil...