“lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Toronto, Canada
“lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My lunch was a surprise because I did not expect a restaurant with dishes so refined and genuine, I really recommend

Visited January 2014

Buenos Aires
“Friendly and local”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

All trip along the Amalfi coast, we had been a little disappointed with the food offering. So when we found the restaurant, on the left at the end of the main street, just before the small clock tower, we decided the quality of the food might make up for the less glamorous look of the place - even though there was only one other couple there. By 9.30, the place was full. We were very pleased with the result, and ate there again the following night.

Both nights I had the "Tourist Menu". The un-invitingly named meal was EUR 20, for a starter, a pasta, a main course, salad, 1/4L wine and water. The sardines were excellent, the pastas were perfect (a little al dente, as I prefer) the veal was - well, veal. It's hard to mess that up, and it is always pretty much the same. (Nice lemons though.) My wife was even allowed to change her pasta to spaghetti aglio e olio.

The girl next to us had the "fish soup" which is more of a seafood platter. I think it was EUR30, but looked enough for two. Unfortunately I did not have it the second day, still being full after having had pizza for lunch. As I only had sardines and pasta, the owner didn't charge us for a 2nd glass of wine.

The a la carte menu is not expensive either. Draft beer is available - Tuborg - it is much cheaper than at the "posher" restaurants on the square. I did not see a wine list, but there must be one, as we did see a few diners with a real bottle of wine, instead of the house plonk. Which was not at all bad.

At Trattoria dei Cartari, we felt like we were eating in Italy, instead of at in tourist town.

I've given the restaurant 5 stars. I always rate places based on the surrounding options. Don't expect the Ritz, but for good quality food at a very reasonable price and a friendly local atmosphere, I highly recommend it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Franco is awesome! Please read this review.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We ate at this restaurant several times. Each visit we tried something different and enjoyed our food every time. This restaurant goes beyond the food. Its the people. They are awesome. Franco, one of the chefs and owner, is awesome. He is such a sweet, kind person. One night we were starving but had waited until late (about 10/1030pm) to go in search of food. Most restaurants close at 10pm. Every restaurant told us they were closed. We went to Trattoria del Cartari and asked if they were open. At first they said no, we were a little devastated! We were starving. I guess Franco could see it on my face because he said, "Are you hungry?" I said yes. So he let everyone else go home and proceeded to stay late and cook a meal for me and my friend. Not heat up food in a microwave. He cooked! Seriously! Who does that!! This restaurant gets 5 stars from me but Franco gets 10. He is awesome. If you go tell him Deonza and Lissette said hello :)

Tokyo
“The worst restaurant experience in Italy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Don't waste your time, money and appetite! Don't go!

We followed the trip advisor to go to this restaurant to have something a bit casual. But we didn't have anything good about this restaurant.

Food: The worst taste we tasted in Italy for sure. It is so normal even less than normal. Lucking of taste in the mouse. Nothing unique and special about the taste. I can cook even better. The meat dish is pretty boring.

Service: Chef seemed friendly and wore proper chef cloth. But waiter keep watching TV and very dull service. Nothing friendly about him and a bit messy on himself as well with his daily casual cloth without apron and white shirt.

Atmosphere: If we could have the table at outside, it could be different experience. But it was raining and still a bit cold. We took the table inside. TV was on. Staffs kept watching it. Big reglet we didn't leave there when we saw it.

It seems some people has had good experience. But somehow we had the worst experience in Italy. Because of the off season, they don't put much effort!?? Even taste is worse than their high-season!? We don't know they can be better if they are happy with full of people at the restaurant. If you are considering this restaurant, don't take any risk when you stay in such a beautiful place with many other restaurant option.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Barretos, SP
“The best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I ate there 2 times, and was the best eating experience i have had on my travel in italy, i ate pasta bolognese and soup fish and amazing dessert a cake with pinenuts........i want to go back there.

Visited November 2012