“Hidden Gem in Amalfi” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Hidden Gem in Amalfi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Small family run restaurant -classic wood fired pizza oven, fresh pasta. Our waiter was very helpful with suggestions and they were wonderful. I really thought my husband was crazy ordering Pizza but when it came I had to have some and it was amazing. How can a vegetable pizza be this great (see photo)?? Fresh, fresh, fresh and wood fire. My eggplant pasta dish was also fantastic. Small restaurant but not really , several rooms inside and also some outside seating in alley way which is where we wanted to sit and enjoy the neighborhood. Imagine if you were lucky enough to live here? Have another glass of wine...The interior is warm and inviting, and the menu features many types of pizza in addition to local specialties. Fresh seafood also looked excellent and was enjoyed by couple at next table.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

73% Recommend
“Great casual place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We loved this restaurant. It is casual and run by a very nice family. Service was very friendly and attentive. Our food was delicious! They serve a nice garlic bread with your dinner too. We went back and had pizza here the following day....you can order it to go. Pizzas are 6-10 euros each and very good. I recommend this place highly for couples and families. Prices are very reasonable too! Just look for the signs for il teatro. You have to climb some stairs off the main street to find it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Cute!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had a nice time at Il Teatro and our server was one of the main reasons! He was from Amalfi but spoke perfect Spanish, having lived in Spain for 10 years. We had our first taste of limoncello here and enjoyed the Penne Arrabiatta and the Salmon Ravioli for dinner. We recommend both. We sat outside which was nice but the biggest downside was the uneven floor. We felt like we were going to fall on each other!

Visited September 2012
London, United Kingdom
“rotten fish and overpriced bill!! AVOID!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have never felt so unhappy about a restaurant in my life. I ordered "squid pasta": even before the waiter put the dish in front of me, I was hit by a wave of rotting meat smell. I smelled the pasta e it was awful. I couldn't bring myself to taste it as the smell was so bad, but my boyfriend did. He's not fussy about food and eats everything but he grimaced and said the squid was clearly way over the expiry date!
When we told the waiter, he acted as we offended him, saying that we don't know, or like squid (false).When the bill arrived, luckily he didn't charge us for that, as we sent it back to the kitchen (only a suicidal fool would have eaten it!) but we had the unpleasant surprise of an overcharge. We "thought" we ordered one side dish, some stuffed vegetables, but the bill showed two side dishes and the prices for both was above the maximum price of the side dishes in the offficial menu (unfortunately the stuffed vegetables were not in the printed menu).
we left without leaving a tip and without saying goodbye, but extremely disappointed, as we drove 1 hour all the way from positano to eat at Amalfi.
On a side note, my boyfriend heard him whispering to a nearby table of friends, saying that their cook makes a lot of mistakes he has to cover or justify for in front of the customers often! Unbelievable.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Blackburn, Lancashire
“What a Find !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We visited Amalfi twice whilst on holiday in Sorrento at the end of August, and found this family run Restaurant by chance while weaving our way along the narrow, twisting passages which run parallel to the main street. And what a find ! We were greeted by the staff and made to feel welcome straight away. The food was fabulous, enjoyed with a carafe of local wine. We were told that the building was once a Theatre and a place to stay for local orphans many years ago. The tables are both inside and outside in the narrow alley. A peaceful, quiet and romantic setting, away from the more touristy areas.

• Visited August 2012