“Wanted to give 5 Star but....” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 95 Restaurants in Amalfi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, Winery, Mediterranean, Vegan
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Richmond, Canada
“Wanted to give 5 Star but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Our guide book recommended this restaurant so we decided to try this place out for our first dinner on this trip. We did not have any sort of expectation, but we were pleasantly surprised from the start of our meal how good the food was. There were 4 of us and my parents who are in their late 70's do not have a big appetite, but they ate quite a bit because food was so good. The service staff who took our order explained the menu in detail and helped us decide on our food.. we later found out he is one of the family members who runs this restaurant. We ended up ordering too much food so we cancelled one of the main course at last minute and although we were willing to pay for that, restaurant insisted on not taking our payment which was nice. We were impressed with the food knowledge of the staff...and their attentiveness to their guests.
We loved the fact that they grow their own organic vegetables that they use in their cooking and the use of the fresh local seafood.
So why I can't give them 5 stars...? Well, there are just 2 points ... one was that one of the younger service staff had cologne on that was so strong that every time he came around we knew he was near. I think strong perfume and cologne can be distracting to a meal. Second point is the dish which was strongly recommended (apparently they have been making this dish for many years) was too salty.... I suppose we should of said something, but we didn't. I thought it was just our dish, but I overheard our neighbor table making the same comment for the same dish...

• 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great views and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I booked this on TA advise and reviews for our anniversary dinner (made this point when making the reservation). They provided transportation to and from our hotel, at no charge which was very prompt and courteous. We were seated at a table with a great view (although too dark to see much) by our waiter (this is family owned and operated) who smiled pleasantly and was as attentive as possible during our dinner. The wine and food suggested was delicious and well prepared. I would not give this a 5 star because the table seated next to us (8 people from Conn) were loud (my husband and I had trouble conversing), and garnered more attention. We also especially wanted to order the stuffed zucchini flowers (a recommendation) but the "8" table apparently ordered the last ones. How do you not have enough food on hand (a special listed) when it's only 8:30pm on Friday, in Italy??

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Rochester,UK
“delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We ate here twice in a 4 night stay in a nearby hotel. The staff were very friendly and knowledgable about the menu and wine. The food was delicious. I can see why it's been around since the 1960's in the same family. We were picked up and dropped off at our hotel which was a big plus. Two really great meals. Would definately recommend.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Molto Bene”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We spent the night off Amalfi on the Azamara Quest and had dinner at this restaurant based on the Trip Adviser reviews. It did not disappoint. We were greeted by one of the Owner's sons outside the front door. Our table had a spectacular view. We felt like we were invited to eat at someone"s home. We ate all the recommended dishes ( pasta cooked in parchment, zucchini flowers, fresh local fish). I would definitely recommend this Trattoria for a special evening.

Delray Beach, Florida
“Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

While I recommend this restaurant after eating here, I would not return to it upon my next visit. It was simply not exceptional enough to do so. Since I stayed at Il Saraceno which is about 300 yards away and has the same spectacular view, I went strictly for the food. This family-owned and operated restaurant has wonderful service and they even picked us up at out hotel and dropped us off. There is no pressure to spend $$$$ during your meal and that is refreshing along this coast.

• 4 of 5 stars Food