“Amazing, memorable tours of the Amalfi coast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amalfi Coast

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Brooklyn, New York
“Amazing, memorable tours of the Amalfi coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

My husband and I just returned from our Honeymoon on the Amalfi Coast. It was an amazing vacation and we created some of the best, lifelong memories there.

The area lends itself to intimate, romantic time together and some amazing adventures to share. Every where you go you are accompanied by the view of an endless, blue ocean. The food was flavorful, fresh and fulfilling - everything (mozzerella, tomatoes, lemons, chestnuts, olives, salami) is grown and made in the region - so you can't top the quality and homemade taste.

Perhaps the best part of the trip were the amazing guides - Marilena and Valentina from Overmediterranean tours (www.overmediterranean.it). They are a local, women-owned business. They share the history and expereince of their home with a passion and wisdom that made it extra special. They accompanied us on a hike along the Path of the Gods as well as a tour of Amalfi and Ravello. Eash fillied with stunning views, rich history and amazing art and gardens.

The absolute best part of the trip was the personal visit to a local home, tour of their home and private cooking lessons (along with a chance to eat everything we learned to cook with the family!).

The hotel we stayed in was Hotel Santa Caterina. It was spacious, beautiful and offered unbelievable service.

Ceres, California
“Great Excursion from our Mediterranean Cruise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

This was an excursin from our cruise but the Amalfi Coast is so beautiful that we are going to return someday to spend more time here. Like many Italian towns there are "Duomos" or town centers, gathering places. Our destination was to view a beautiful frive along the coast and to stop and have lunch in this Duomo. Also like many duomo, this was flanked with a huge, beautiful cathedral of which I do not remember the name. Look at my photos (which most were taken from the front seat of our coach tour bus) and you would see more than I could ever write. This would be a romantic getaway with the spouse or significant other. Enough said.

New York
“Amalfi Coast, Italy Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2008

Amalfi Coast is the most beautiful place on earth. I would go there every year.

New York City, New York
“Minori, Ravello, Amalfi, Capri,”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2007

I highly recommend this vacation for all. My family and I rented the most beautiful villa for $4,300 for one week. It far surpassed any expectations I had of an Italian villa. It was street level and also had a pathway down to a bathing platform that was surreal. It technically was located in MInori. It stated it was in Ravello, but Ravello is located at the very top of the winding cliffs. We went October 9th. The weather was amazing, about 70-75 degrees everyday. Warm enough to swim. All I can say is pack your walking shoes! This is quite a workout just sightseeing.
I loved Minori because there were few tourists. Daily markets for fish, vegetables, & meats. What I loved most about renting the villa was that we cooked pretty much every meal everyday. We saved so much money doing this, and the food was phenomenal. We also could really enjoy the scenery from the comfort of the villa. Sometimes when you are in a hotel room, you feel the need to hurry up out of your room. Here we just took our time and relaxed. Our view was hard to beat. All of our bedrooms, kitchen, livingroom had balconies and all you could see was the water and the coastline from either side.
Transportation is almost comical. I read tons of reviews about just hoping on the SITA buses. Well...... it's not exactly that easy, or exact, or guaranteed. The buses are PACKED. They may stop for you..... they may not. You have to purchase your ticket ahead of time from a coffee/smoke shop. They drive like lunatics which doesn't seem to matter to most, but we were almost sick. You will need to hold on for dear life. The bus drivers whip and wind around these hair pin turns like it's nothing. My suggestions- take a boat. There is one in minori, amalfi, positano etc. It will cost more, but you don't have to sit in traffic on a cramped bus, praying to god.
You will probably want to go to Capri since you have already made it to the Amalfi Coast. We took a boat to Capri from Minori and it cost 30 euros. It made a stop in Amalfi and then onto Capri. It took about 1 hour. I was a beautiul ride and the views of the coastline are breathtaking. They even gave us a little tour of a grotto, island of the sirens etc. It was really nice. They dropped us off and we were on our own for most of the day. My mother and I being impatient as usual walked to the main town of Capri. Now I want to warn you. This is no easy journey, at least not for me. It is a hike straight up and it is physically challenging. I am no athlete like my mom, but she was winded too. One wonderful thing about walking though is all of the beautiful homes and views you can't see from a bus... oh yes there is actually a bus that can take you right there.
Capri is blue and beautiful, and crowded. It's kind like venice in the way where even though I am one of the tourists.... the amount of tourists almost ruin the experience. Luckily like Venice it is soooo beautiful that you will want to experience it how ever you have to. There are shops everywhere. It is really a day for strolling (once you get to the town) shopping, views and food. You can swim at the beach. My sister stayed there with her friends and my brother. The water is clear cobalt blue, the beach is extremely rocky. Walking into the water is not any easy task with bare feet. They loved it though once they were swimming.
Amalfi- I can't say too much about it, because I didn't spend much time there. The town is over croweded but you get used to it. It is a beautiful town. The duomo in the town center is amazing. My sister went on some hike called the hike of the gods. She finally found it after digging a little deeper than the town center and she said it was the most amazing trail.
Ravello- is magical. We went to the Villa Rufolo for a Mozart concert played by a classical pianist. The drive up was actually scary for me and it was dark, so I can't imagine what it is like during the day. If you are in the area you have to make it up to Ravello. It's worth the drive and your time.

Boston
“It's fun, but seems all a bit overtouristed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2007

We spent a week on the Amalfi peninsula in October 2007, based in Sorrento taking day trips in the area.

It was fun and we're glad we went, but I don't think we'll go back. Our overall impression was that the level of tourism is so great that the transportation systems, accommodations, and local economies have been a bit overwhelmed. There is still great food to be had, the scenery is spectacular, and Herculaneum is well worth seeing, but it just seemed all a bit overused and felt a bit too much like a production line.

Been to Amalfi Coast? Share your experiences!