If you care about comfort, this is not the place for you.
If you love history and want to stay in a unique and interesting place, like a monastery from the 13th century, this is the place for you.
I got the smallest room and I loved it.
I used candles when I wanted to improve the lighting in the room and used a carafe to pour water on me in the bathtub.
Floors are uneven. There's no TV.
The room is beautiful. It's nicely decorated.
They have fruits and water for you for free laid out on the table when you come in.
There's heating and AC.
The bed is extremely comfortable. And the room was very quiet.
Already sent some family members there because it's a great place. You can always stay in a normal hotel with TV and mini-fridge. But this experience of beauty, history and calmness is unbelievable and not to miss at all.
Breakfast has salty and sweet stuff. Could be more diverse.
The people at the reception are unbelievable kind and care about your well being and what they do in there: protect a patrimony.
If I ever go back to Matera I will definitely stay here again..
- Also Known As:
- Sextantio Civita Caves Hotel Matera
- Sextantio Civita Caves Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matera can be found in the south of Italy and is world famous because of its Sassi quarters, a stunning and well preserved example of a village where hundreds of caves were turned into dwellings, churches and palaces. A UNESCO World Heritage site since 1993, the Sassi represent a unique hamlet throughout Italy: the earliest inhabitants date back to the stone and bronze age, in the middle ages it boasted several monastic communities and later became a vibrant farming centre, owing to the rich harvests from the surrounding hills and plains. The Sextantio Le Grotte della Civita project is placed in the oldest part of the Sassi quarters, the CIVITA, facing the spectacular Murgia park and its rock-hewn churches. It comprises 18 rooms (some of them exceeding 160m²) and an ancient church, the "Cripta della Civita," now used as a common area, all renovated to retain their original features. The Sextantio Le Grotte della Civita project is situated in the historical heart of Matera. The 18 caves have been renovated in full respect of the local heritage. Each cave reveals the original shape and materials. The interior design, the respectful and minimalistic approach of Sextantio is reflected in the plain furniture elements. The guests will experience a particular atmosphere evoking the cultural and human history of the Sassi of Matera. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Venere, Expedia, Splendia, Travelocity, Tingo, Agoda, MrandMrsSmith, Escapio, Orbitz, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Sextantio Le Grotte della Civita reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.