“A Very Pleasant Stay At A Very Reasonable Price” 4 of 5 stars

Sercotel Sorolla Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av.de las Cortes Valencianas,58, 46015 Valencia, Spain   |
Ranked #19 of 99 Hotels in Valencia
Austin
“A Very Pleasant Stay At A Very Reasonable Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

What makes a hotel stay pleasant ? The answer to that question probably differs from one person to another ... but for me there are a combination of factors: location, price, condition of property, attitude of staff, amenities, breakfast , wifi, quiet in the room, and bedding. Probably a few other things that I am leaving out.The Sorolla Palace actually did an excellent job on meeting our standards on all of those items. It was not THE BEST that could be in some areas, but stepping back and looking at the overall experience, it is a good all around hotel that will make most people (except the very very fussy ones ... but they have their own agenda) .glad that they stayed there.

Oh ... before I forget .. let me remind you to bring a washcloth with you. As is usual at many European hotels, a wash cloth was not provided (it is considered to be a personal item, sort of like socks or underwear) . We forgot to bring one so we purchased one at Corte Ingles . If you do bring a washcloth, then bring a zip lock bag to take it with you in a moist condition when you check out.

I gave it four stars not because I think it was a four star hotel, but because it would rate it as "very good" . I would put it in the category of a nice Marriott if you want some comparison with a known U.S. standard. As such it would be about 3.5 stars in my mind.

Valencia can be an expensive place to stay, but the Sorolla Palace was, in our mind, reasonable. The trade off was that it is a little bit away from the center of the city; but once that we became familiar with the location of the metros, getting around was a snap. Be sure to get the multi use metro ticket; unfortunately one ticket can not be shared as it can be in, for example, Barcelona.

Breakfast at the hotel was first rate; and we were very happy with it for the first couple of days (we were there for a week), and satisfied with it throughout the week. We would have liked a little change up on the selection some days to include omelets or pancakes or waffles. Still, take a look at the pictures of the food selection that I am including with this review and I think you will have to agree that it was extensive and excellent. The cost of breakfast once you check in is a little high (as are all nice breakfast buffets at hotels these days), so I would encourage you to seek out a price for the room that includes breakfast.

We did eat one night at the hotel's better restaurant (El Dossel) and were impressed. We also had a hamburger at the first floor bar/café and were far from impressed ... it was a terrible hamburger, but that is what I get for eating a hamburger while on vacation. So, if you eat at the hotel I would stick with the breakfasts and the hotel's better restaurant (located on the same floor where the breakfast buffet is served).

The pool at the hotel was an interesting set-up and the only negative aspect was the walk between the pool and the hotel (short walk). The gym was very adequate and I enjoyed using it.

Bathrooms: For some reason hotel builders have decided that glass enclosures for toilet areas are good things ; well guess what? I disagree. I think that when ones goes to use a toilet there should be a solid wall and a solid door for audio privacy. But that is just me, maybe others don't feel the same? Anyway ; there is a solid door to the bathroom, and it is just that once in the bathroom there is a smoked glass door and wall between the toilet area and the rest of the bathroom. Our particular room (1418) was on a floor with a meeting room on it and there was a toilet in the hallway across from our room that was left unlocked and we used it as a second toilet area. Very convenient. So, you might consider a room near that one if you might have the need for more than one toilet.

There was a neat sound system in the room, that we used and enjoyed. The "drawers" inside of the closet area were actually pull out shelves. The worked fine, just take a look to make sure that nothing feel in the back before you check out of the hotel.

Plenty of closet room.

The room had a "two door entrance" for quiet in the room. There was an outer door, which led to a short inner hall with the closet and bathroom off of that hall; then an "inner" door. Once that both of the doors were shut there was absolutely NO hallway noise in the room; also the two doorway set up allowed one person to get bathroomed and dressed while the other slept. We needed that type of quiet set up to get over the jet lag that we had for the first few days.

We faced the street that runs between the Sorolla and the Melia , and had no noise from any traffic.

Restaurants in the area: There are several, of all types of cuisine, and some were very good. The best one was an Italian restaurant just a little down the block ... called Rigatoni. I will review that in a different post. The food and service there were good and we would return. There was also a neat pastry shop on the same side of the street as Rigatoni that I was very happy with.

Right adjacent to the entrance to the Benniferri Metro was a food store called "Consum" that we went to a few times; it has all the basics. There were two larger food stores a little further away, and I did go to them to check them out , but could not see a reason to favor one over the other.

I have to comment that the wine prices in Spain were utterly inexpensive . Check out the prices at "Consum" and you will see what I mean.

Very convenient to have near the hotel was a store called the Media Mart. It is similar to a Best Buy or a Frys. If you left something at home you can probably get it there. It is right in the area of the entrance to the Metro and you can't miss it.

When we left Valencia, we did so by train from the Estacio Del Nord (we went on to Tortosa).. The taxi was only about 8.5 euros to get to the station (we had a lot of luggage, or we would have taken the Metro).

There is a "Casino" across the street from the hotel, and I tried to go there .. but they wanted to see a passport, so I didn't go. If you do go, mention that you are staying at the Sorolla and then the admission is free. Who ever heard of a casino charging an admission so that you could lose money inside ? I have no idea what they might do with the information from my passport and I didn't want to find out, so I never went past the entry point. . The reviews I read of the Casino were not very promising.

Oddly enough, there was no clock in the room (but there was maybe one on the phone); but the front desk was nice enough to give us a small "loaner" clock for the week. Let me add though, that none of the hotels we encountered in Spain (and we were in four of them) had clocks in the rooms...

I indicated that landmarks were in the area .. but let me modify that by saying that the landmarks are a short Metro ride away ... there are no "landmarks" directly outside of the hotel. I did actually walk all the way back from the city center of Valencia on two occasions during the week that we were there. It was a long walk (nearly an hour as I recall), but for me that is the only way to really see a city.

So yes, we enjoyed the Sorolla and would recommend it for any type of visit to Valencia where you want a nice place to stay at a price that won't break the bank, as long as you don't mind walking about 7 minutes to the metro station and then proceeding by public transportation. If you are unable to walk, or don't like public transportation, then a different hotel might suit you more.

Room Tip: High floor; there are two elevators on the floor, I would suggest a room NOT near an elevator, at th...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Manuel-ALCODORI, Gerente at Sercotel Sorolla Palace, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thak you very much for your good comments, we are pleased you have been so comfortable in our hotel, with the facilities and our food & beverage. We hope see you very soon !!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

Modern luxury hotel in the fashionable district with excellent transport links (metro, tram). Very friendly and helpful staff at reception. Large clean rooms, nice bathroom. Good pool and whirpool, ... Rich breakfast and great waitresses, they will not stop even for a moment, but are still smiling and helpful. I have usually any reminders, but this time it was really the little things that were quickly and efficiently remedied and satisfaction was entirely appropriate without any delays or inconveniences.

I definitely recommend this hotel and would go back there again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Manuel-ALCODORI, Gerente at Sercotel Sorolla Palace, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you very much for your excellent comments to our hotel. We hope see you soon !!!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

Don't let there be misunderstandings: This is a very nice hotel. Only when one positions itself as 4 star, a customer has expectations. The room on the 14th floor had dirty windows on the inside, finger prints and more. I found a black residue on the paper towel used to wipe the glass. The carpet showed too many stains. Slippers are advisory. The flat screen does not have all the channels promoted. When staying over the weekend don’t accept a room oriented to the NW: On Saturday A nightclub at the bottom of the building keeps banging loud basses till 05H00 AM.( guaranteed to keep you awake , even on the 14th floor, window closed).
The breakfast buffet is awesome but does come at its price but breakfast included rates are on offer.

Room Tip: Away from the local nightclub....
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your comments, after reading your comments and very puzzled, we review thoroughly the room you occupied and was made a more thorough cleanup. We should realize before and apologize. You should have warned us when you arrived to your room because we had quickly changed to a room in perfect condition as is normal in our hotel. Sorry and thanks for your comments because they help us to improve.
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014 via mobile

we stayed one night during our trip around Spain, the hotel is located a bit far from the center, However not to far from metrovalencia, Beniferri stop yellow line.
A few points that would like to let you know, in order to help the hotel to improve.

1.food is good and yummy, breakfast well appointed and fast refilled, my only comment is that they are far away to satisfy the Asian requirements, no single Asian dish were available. Do not forget that Asian market seems very strong around Europe and they don't eat our food, such a Danish, croissants bread....
Romantic menu was ok, at least was tasty more than presentation.
2. My biggest disappointment was with front office, I had problems with my wifi due in my floor was not working properly even logged in.
I walk to front office twice, first time they fixed for me but unfortunately on my floor was not working as I mentioned here some lines above, Paco the front office manager can't fix it and look at me like he doesn't care anymore, and I walked away without fixing my problem.
The most incredible is that you have to pay a deposit of 10 euro for a gym towel and pick up at front office, that make me totally disappointed even none of them brought me the towels while was training in the gym room.
Anyway I found out that no service mind from the front office staff. Will not come back to any sorolla hotels .
At least food was good.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuching, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2014

We only stayed for one night on our 10 days Spain tour. Both bedroom and bathrooms are spacious. There is not much to see or do near the hotel. A small supermarket is 10 minutes walk away. Breakfast was varied with a good spread. We had Paella for dinner, which was delicious.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2014

Stayed here in Sep as my husband attended a conference.

We were upgraded to a beautiful suite with a fantastic view of the city. Room was clean. Shower and toilet adequate. Location not too central but it was easy to hop into a taxi which are aplenty outside the hotel and go to the places we wanted to go. Plus point for my husband is the conference centre is just across.

Breakfast was extensive. Loved the frittatas and the smoked salmon was beautifully presented. Food in the restaurants were also excellent.

service from reception and restaurant were good. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Having said that there were a few attention to details that were sadly lacking :

1) no one at reception could help you to arrange for tours or restaurant bookings. I was pointed to a table nearby full of brochures but they were all in Spanish. Luckily in my exploration of the area I found a tourism office and they were helpful in providing me with the information I needed

2). No kettle in room. Nor could you get ice sent up to yr room. If you want any of that, you pay 4 euros ++ or you can personally go down to the restaurant to get them. Not being cheap but we thought it was a bit too much. There was also no complimentary bottled water provided.

3) wifi was quite sketchy most of the time. Staff at the reception were helpful but it took a whole day before we got back the wifi in our room. We had to sit in the lobby area to get wifi

We assume the hotel is still new and still has room for improvements but we enjoyed our stay there. Read some reviews about the not so good location with nothing much to do in the surrounding areas but as mentioned above, just hop into a taxi which are always outside the hotel and everywhere is between 6 to 15 euros taxi ride away.

We would certainly stay at this hotel again should we visit Valencia

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
nice
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2014

we wanted a hotel clean and quite as we were going to the tomatina on that week-end and we were not disappointed. the rooms are very clean, service was good. breakfast is very expensive for what it is but there are great local tiendas around. the pool area is great, very clean and the hotel is very easy to access. we got a great deal so we were very happy overall

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Manuel-ALCODORI, Gerente at Sercotel Sorolla Palace, responded to this review, September 29, 2014
Thank you very much for your excellent comments !!

Been to Sercotel Sorolla Palace? Share your experiences!