“Pretentious without substance” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 99 Hotels in Valencia
Atlanta
“Pretentious without substance”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hotel location was OK – not the best in town. The hotel was rated 5-star which is heavily overrated for what it is. I’d say it’s barely a 4-star. The room was not very clean, closets were dusted and the furniture was cheap-modern. Lighting was not good either. When we came back at 5pm they were in the middle of cleaning the room, so we had to wait for them to finish. They were doing repairs with heavy noise above our heads on both days of our stay. I’d not stay again in this facility – especially with lots of other accommodation in town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Palau_de_la_Mar, Gerente at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Sir,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment your stay with us.
I really apologise if we have not reached your expectations, we are working hard in order to continue with the improvements in our property and service.
Please, do not hesitate to contact me directly if you come back to Valencia in the future, I will manage your reservation and take care of it personally.
Receive my best regards,
Patricia García Vizcaíno.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The hotel has been located in convenient walking distance from the train station, the old town and the great park (former riverbed) is just around the corner, which allows nice runs in the evening or a walk to the Science museum.

The room was clean at any time, the staff was always friendly and available if needed. The rooms are large and have a good sized bathroom also. The spa - a gym, small (whirl) pool, steam room and sauna are small but nice. We did not try the food nor any of the spa treatments. The only downside were the two single beds that are on wheels and it was at times very frustrating to have a rolling bed.

Overall the hotel is definitely to recommend to friends and family. This hotel is in one of the most beautiful cities and rooms and service are great! So stay there if you get the chance.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front with two lovely balconies. The road is busy but the windows are double gl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Palau_de_la_Mar, General Manager at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments regarding our location.
It is very convinient that we are close to the Science museum which is one of the many attractions in our beautiful Valencia.

I am very sorry to read that you didn´t get the chance to try our food or spa treatments because they are one of our strongest points. Your feedback regarding our rolling beds will be very usefull and we are greatfull that you took your time to write about us.

We would be more than happy to welcome your Friends and Family!

Best Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed this hotel for a week and cannot stop talking about the excellent service and accommodation.
The room was big, quiet and clean and had a very comfortable bed.
The breakfast was excellent.
The staff could not have been more helpful.
The hotel is located close the main shopping area of Valencia and within easy walking distance of Santiago Calatrava's spectacular City of Arts and Sciences.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments regarding our services.

We are very happy that we have meet your expectations and we are looking forward to welcome you again.

Having a satisfied guest is the biggest reward we can get!

Warm Regards,
herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My american friends and husband and I visited in May 2013. Lovely hotel, great rooms and very nice staff. The location is great, we had bikes from the hotel and biked all over town. We didn't try dinner but had breakfast once (20 euro each!) and that was excellant.
Bar staff were not very knowledgable nor could they supply the drinks we wanted...
Would definately come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

It is a great pleasure for me to read that you had a lovely stay with us.

We are working hard on our breakfast buffet in order to meet the expectation of our guest and it is always great to have someone to confirm that we have succeeded.

Sorry our bar employees didn't meet your expectations. We will pay more attention from now on, thank you very much for pointing this out.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you again in Hospes Palau de la Mar,
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My Husband and I spent 2 nights at this Hotel we had a standard room which cost about $275 dollars a night at check in we were told we could upgrade to a deluxe suite for an additional 25 euros a night. which we did ,the room was great. The suite was big ,elegant and the bed was very comfy. The breakfast that came with the meal was fantastic, you name it and it was on the breakfast bar. Stocked very well with various breakfast delights such as Eggs cooked scrambled, fried, or boiled, small quiches, different cheeses breads meats ,cereals fruit, yogurt and yes a toaster that actually worked. Also great coffee. We are Now in Ibiza but going back to this Hotel for one night before hoping on a plane to Granada., followed by Seville. I will be writing about Ibiza next..

Room Tip: Great location, walking distance from Plaza de la Reina, where the Hop-on Hop-off tours start. We lo...
Dear Guest,

I am more than happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you very much for your comments, we appreciate your time to write a review on Tripadvisor.com .

I wish you a great time in Spain, and we are looking forward in welcoming you again!!!

Warm Regards,
Kobe, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I checked into the Palau de la Mar hoping that it was going to be a great stay. It was average at best. The location though was fantastic as it is situated adjacent to Valencia's main shopping area.
The dreamer room that I got on the 1st floor was dark and über minamalist in decor. There was a welcome gift of brownies in the room which was a nice touch however they were stale.
I didn't eat at their main restaurant but I did have breakfast. Great spread.
The best part of the hotel is converted palatial building which now houses the hotel. Some of the features like the huge wooden doors at the main entrance of the hotel are amazing.
The staff were amicable though that's as far as it goes.
Also, if the hotel had a 4 star rating I think it would justify a lot however being billed as a 5 star property, one can't help but think the rating is too ambitious.

• Stayed May 2013
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director General at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you having the time to write your comments in Tripadvisor.com.

I appreciate you enjoyed our facilities, and we will consider your opinion to improve as much as possible in all other things.

Look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Best regards,

Patricia Garcia Vizcaino
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Let me start by saying I got this hotel on a deal with Voyage Prive. Paid £400.00 for 3 nights accommodation B&B. Not bad for 5 star but this is not 5 star. I saw it advertised for full price at £750.00. If I had paid this I would have been extremely upset. Rooms are described as minimalistic. I would describe as not much of it and cheap. The tap in the bath was loose. One leg on the sink just "dangled". The room was cold and we couldn't adjust the temperature. After a cold nights sleep I spoke to reception and was told the rooms were set at 19 degrees for the summer and were not adjustable by the guests. We had to request extra bedclothes for the remaining nights. Breakfast was fine if a little cramped. The restaurant cannot cope with a buffet style meal as guests and staff just get in each others way. But the staff in the restaurant did try hard. Can't comment on the spa as we didn't venture there. Location is good and you can easily walk to the old town. On the whole we got what we paid for. But then that isn't a deal is it?.

Dear Guest,

I am awfully sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay in our hotel, but I assure you that your comments will help us to improve our service and quality. I am very grateful that you took time to write your feedback.

Regarding the problem with the temperature in our rooms, as soon as we found out, we started working on fixing this problem.

Please, if you ever decide to come back to Valencia, me and my colleagues are more than happy to welcome you and try to improve your opinion regarding our hotel.

Recieve my best Regards,
Patricia García Vizcaíno

Been to Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel? Share your experiences!