“Good despite the noise...” 4 of 5 stars

AR Diamante Beach SPA Hotel & Convention Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda Juan Carlos I, 48, 03710 Calpe, Spain   |
Ranked #3 of 30 hotels in Calpe
Meerkat2006
“Good despite the noise...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Hotel itself is located some few hundred meters from the beach, however, sea views are between other hotels since they are positioned directly in front of Diamanté beach, so don't expect a clear view across the sea. Request a room overlooking the pool, otherwise you'll have a view of waste ground behind the hotel. This is a reasonable hotel, boasting three outdoor pools, sun lounging area, private parking (although plenty of spaces on the street, so no need to pay). There is no indoor pool belonging to the hotel, its a spa (located in the hotel basement level) reserved by an outsourced company and costs 20euros per visit to use the hydro pool, etc. should you wish an indoor pool, you can use their sister hotel (Esmeralda) which is located directly on the beach. Breakfast is in the usual buffet format as is lunch and dinner, however, don't expect a change in the menu since having checked the last three days its all been the same proposal; chips, potatoes, pizza, pasta, cakes, selection of cold meats, liver, pork, etc. doesn't really invite you with some Mediterranean style dishes or something beyond what you imagine an 'all-inclusive Turkish resort geared for the Russians to offer'. For a 4star hotel, I'd have expected more selection, greater variation, and especially if you're one of those families paying for an all-inclusive package, you'd want value for your money. I only took the breakfast as part of the room booking, and there are plenty of eateries nearby in the town centre which are very good. Additionally, at breakfast you'll only be allowed to sit at specific tables as some are prepared for lunch, despite all meal times being served in the same location, same tables and are setup in the same way. This was annoying when you've already decided where to sit and put your plate down, then to be told to move. Sound proofing wasn't something factored into this hotel, you can easily hear the rooms above and beside you, plus anything going on outside in the corriodor, I wouldn't choose this hotel if I had children as I'd be concerned they'd be easily woken during the late evening/early morning. All that said, staff were friendly, rooms are of a good size, clean and you're a short stroll from the beach area... Lastly, if you get the opportunity, try eating at the hotels upmarket restaurant known as 'La Scala' its pricey, but the service is exceptional and quality of food was great...

• Stayed October 2013

348 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Kristiansund, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Good Things first: Nice hotell, nice pool aera, nice rooms, tidy and clean, nice and polite staff and nice spa treatments. Lots of old People, but it is a fancy hotel so of course you dont meet backpackers here!

We reserved two superior rooms trough viastay.com - superior to be sure to get seaview. When we arrived, they found only one room in our names, and that was not superior. After some waiting (the staff were nice and polite), we got our two rooms in the top (12th) floor, with seaview. It seems that the difference between superior and ordinary room is not that big - just some extras they add to an ordinary room souch as: - daily newspapers, a botle of cava and chocolate at arrival, coffee for the nespresso machine and shampoo etc of other type than the ordinary - and free drinks in the minibar (non alcoholic)

There was no cava, coffee or papers to see..

On day 2, I went Down to get this sorted out. The staff was understanding and promised to get this right asap. My parents room got cofee and the "exclusive" kind of shampoos, except from that - nada. The same evening I talked to another person, also she promised to bring the cava, etc. She told me only one of the rooms was marked as superior - I showed her my voucher proving that I had payd for two superior rooms. Nothing happened.

On day 3, I met another person. She promised me the same. During the afternoon we got Our coffee and shampoos, and when we came in that night after dining in the old town, the cava was waiting. The ice had melted, and it was time for bed..

No papers seen, no apologizes...

As far as I can see we god two days With ordinary rooms and two days With superior (a service that I had payd for but that I had do work hard to get...) The difference was about 60 Euros per night, and I choose this as a treat for the end of Our vacation and a gest to my parents.

In sum:

- I had to complain to Three different persons before something happened
- I had a voucher telling that we had payd for 2 superior rooms, still nothing happened
- We did NOT get what we paid for!

At checking out they also charged for drinks in minibar, so I had to tell them to put that put. They also give me free parking for 4 days - but that was all -still no apologies.

The rooms was fine and the hotel fine - but having paid lots of extra for extra treatment that we did not get did something to the Whole impression. I also wrote an email to the hotel Chain, but they haven't even answered!

Room Tip: The further up, the better. Seaview is between other buildings, you also see the pool aera. On the o...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Surrey.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel Sun 15.09.13 - Sun 22.09.13.
This is a hotel worthy of 4 star status, it has superb facilities:
(1) enormous restaurant serving breakfast and evening dinner buffet style. Drinks with evening dinner are extra cost.
(2) Fitness gym with a large range of what appears to be very high quality equipment.
(3) Spa, I cannot comment on this as I did not use it.
(4) Three outdoor swinmming pools and large poolside areas for relaxing in the shade / sunbathing.
(5) Spacious air conditioned bedroom, with a large balcony. The TV had some UK channels.
(6) Postbox in the hotel reception area, but note that there are no postbox collections on Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
(7) Very nice ground floor bar and cafe area.

The hotel reception staff and restaurant staff were always very helpful.
The hotel seems to be located in a very quiet area, although there are a lot of other hotels nearby it was a nice area to stay in for a week.

The only negative comment that I have is that there was no kettle in the bedroom for tea / coffee making. There is a supermarket across the road from the hotel which I used several times whilst I was staying at this hotel (to buy things for lunches).

A coach transfer from Alicante airport to the hotel, arranged by the tour operator, via the toll motorway, was about 1 hour (with no stops on the way) on Sunday.

If staying at this hotel on holiday, I suggest that you visit Altea, Calpe old town and Alicante old town.

Room Tip: You have two choices, either a room facing the sea and overlooking the hotel swimming pools, but the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Despite the name, it is a 5 min walk to the beach. However, the hotel is clean and nicely presented and being at the end of the beach strip, quieter than the harbour side of the rock. Staff were pleasant and buffet restaurant was well stocked and varied. The spa was beautiful but lacking on service- we were booted out of a 6pm hour long circuit at 10 to 7 but a very unapologetic staff member. It would not inspire me to book a relaxing treatment there! We had an apartment in the block next to the hotel and found it cleaned every day and in good condition.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Koper, Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

i stayed in this hotel for one week.everything was o.k., staff very helpful and kind, room was spotless, wi fi working most of the time fast enough, plenty of food in the restaurant, the beach is only 5 min walk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
East Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My wife and I like Ballroom dancing and found this holiday on the internet.
Paul Eden (Holidays4dancers) arranges the holiday and we booked the flights when the holiday is confirmed.
This all worked extremely well Paul arranged the airport transfers at Alicante Airport so no worries there.

The Hotel is 3 km's from Calpe town about 300 metre's from the beach and is beautifully built modern and spacious with high class decor and superb facilities. The outside pool area is very well kept with a large provision of sunbeds and parasols to serve the main pool the tub and children's pool.

Rooms are a choice of seaward facing (sun on the balcony in the morning) or land facing, the seaward views are through the gaps of other hotels and apartment buildings but this does not detract too much from the views as there is quite a large space between them.
Inland facing views benefit from the sunset views across the mountains which can be very memorable.

The rooms are well appointed with double sinks in the bathroom and very effective shower. Toiletries and hair dryer are provided and the towels are of high quality, a magnifying mirror is a useful addition.

The bedrooms have large wardrobes with drawers and a electronic safe. The beds are comfortable with bedside lights and tables built into the bed heads.
A mini fridge is provided and stocked although the hotel does not mind you removing the contents and filling it with your own items (we bought from the super market across the road).

The restaurant serves food via gondola style serveries that you help your self from there is a wide range of choice at all meal times. Cook while you wait items are available from a servery with all the usual choices for breakfast or dinner. Coffee machines quite good once you have mastered the various options and cold drinks such as fresh pressed orange juice are popular.

Wine prices are reasonable for a hotel although bottled water is quite expensive we thought.

WiFi is free throughout the hotel, we took our own tea making kit as the is no provision in the rooms.

The only criticism we had of this hotel was that the room chairs make an awful screeching noise on the tiled floors that transmits to other room. Not good late at night!
We advised the management that they needed to fit felt pads to the chair legs.

Room Tip: The hotel has about twelve floors we had fourth floor sea facing which was good for us.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Crawley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed at the Diamante Beach Hotel on Saturday night after turning up on spec after having trouble finding somewhere to stay. The receptionist was helpful when I arrived asking if they had a room available in my best but limited Spanish. But I did have to wait about 5 minutes before being acknowledged while she finished what she was doing on the computer.
The room was on the 8th floor with a 'sea view' although that view was in between other hotels. The room was clean and the bed comfortable but the TV was small and looked quiet old and the reception was bad so the picture was fuzzy. I think the standard of the room was below that of a Premier Inn in the UK, which was disappointing for a 4 star hotel.
Our main complaint was that we didn't sleep much due to the noise in the corridor outside our room. I realise it was a saturday night but we were shattered so went to bed about 11pm. People were coming and going in the room opposite, shouting and slamming doors. I did pop my head out of the door and ask them to be quiet. Then until 4am there was intermittent shouting and door banging until 4.30am. We didn't phone reception as by the time they arrived it would have been quiet again. So we woke up unrefreshed.
Breakfast ended at 10.30 and we arrived about 10.10 and soon after it was being cleared away. It was OK but not the best quality.
We complained at reception after breakfast but were only offered a room extension from 12noon to 2 pm, but that was no good as we had to leave before 12 anyway.
So all very disappointing and we wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to AR Diamante Beach SPA Hotel & Convention Centre? Share your experiences!