“more than satisfied for price....” 4 of 5 stars

Mayra Apartments
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Amsterdam 6, 03503 Benidorm, Spain   |
Ranked #64 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
wales
“more than satisfied for price....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

just come back from Mayra apartments last week, group of 5 21 yr old girls! we had a very good price for apartments of £79 each, was dubvious when booking thinking it was gonna be a dive but for the price it was alot nicer than expected...rooms were exceptionally clean and spacious, we was on 15th floor which was rather high and one night did get very windy, as we stayed for a week we did not have any maid service and no change of towels, it was a 2 euro charge for fresh set of towels! did not use the kitchen area but seemed to have everything needed! location of hotel was good it was a short walk from main strip/square and supermarkets etc. a well run bar underneath with friendly staff and cheap prices for drinks and food. they would greet us every evening with a discounted or even free shot to get us on our way. the pool area was okay not the best but done the trick, lack of umberella and cheapy beds but nothing an inflatable lilo didnt fix, the pool was on the small side but very deep so not the best for small children that cannot swim. overall the apartments was very good value for money, we had no problems with our stay and would definitely go back there again :)

Room Tip: higher floors apprantly have more breeze as theres no air con.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

just returned back from these apartments take no notice of the negative reviews on here we had a great time the apartments are great for self catering everything u need and very clean the maid is friendly and hard working and the bar downstairs is good 1 euro a pint and snacks all day it took 5 mins to the beach and nightlife pool is small but hey ho great for cooling down we were on the top floor and the view was to die for straight over to the sea will defo be goin back to these apartments next year all in all great hol.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

just got back from the mayra alex and ramona were very freindly we had the kids with us and he was brilliant with them. we would go back h there again. the rooms were clean there is a little bar under the apartments 1 euro a pint very good value for money, there were a lot of sun beds so we spent a lot of time at the pool. we wernt ment to check in until 5 oclock but alex let us into our room half an hour after we got there. my little grandaughter who is three adored him and he was brilliant with her . we would definitly go back again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alloa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is the 4th year running we girls have stayed at Mayra and we cannot fault the place for what we need it to do for us. If you are looking for 5 star then go book elsewhere. If however you are looking for cheap, clean, well situated accomodation this is it. 5 minutes from the main bars and restaurants but far enough away that you're not constantly disturbed by noise. A wee pool bar which sells snacks and drinks cheaply is ideal for during the day. Alex and Ramona are very nice people and let us keep one of our apartments on until we left for the airport. They work very hard and all they want is a bit of respect in return. We are always made to feel welcome and we will definitely return for our girls weekend next year again.

Room Tip: This is a 15 storey apartment block. Floor 3 or 4 ideal as can get a bit windy higher up.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have read previous reviews and was very disturbed at how people describe romana (cruella). That is so very unkind as she is a lovely woman that would do anything for you. She is not the cleaner or receptionist she is part of the management team and there is only her and Alejandro that clean the rooms which is why you cannot check in till 5. It says this in your booking so then to complain that you cannot get into the room before this is stupid. There was a disabled family staying when we were there and romana went out of her way to help make there stay good. Alejandro is also lovely and friendly and my daughter thoroughly enjoys the attention from them both. The rooms are basic but very comfortable and very clean. The tv can be changed to English so if you see I programe such as "big bang theory" then just change the language setting. This works on most of the English tv programmes. There's a bar under the apartments but this doesn't create noise at night and the food is really cheap my family of 3 eat for €10 which would be hard to beat in the uk. If you arrive and there is no-one on reception then romana puts a note on with the rooms she is cleaning so if you press the doorbell for that appartment you can speak to Romana and she will advise you of what to do. CCTV has been installed so there is no worries about the lack of locks on windows and realistically who is going to climb 12ft to break in??? In front of everyone sat at the pool? All noise travels far in Spain so even though the only bar is a street away you can hear them in most of the appartments but all this stops by 12.00.

Please don't let the few negative comments stop you from booking as this is a great place to stay and great value for money. I have now been 3 times already this year!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

have just returned from a 2 week stay at these apartments (19th July - 2nd August). After reading through some of the previous reviews I can absolutely agree with everything that branandpat had commented on, unfortunatley in my opinion the review after this I found to be extremely unfair. The apartments are in an amazingly central location situated on a slight hill at the side of the Nereo hotel. They are all pool view and the higher ones also have the advantage of a seaview and the possibility of a slight breeze. They are very spacious, two rooms with single beds in each. A sofa which can be used as a small double bed and a roll out bed underneath. Loads of clothes storage space with plenty of hangers. A perfectly adequate sized kitchen filled with all the appliances that you could need. Yes the kettle is not near a plug, but instead of holding it whilst it boiled (which the previous reviewer stated), we brought a small table in from the living area and set the kettle on it. It was close enough to the plug and also held the likes of our teabags/coffee/sugar etc... The balcony would easily seat 6 people although there were only seats for 4. There is also a large clothes airer...Bathroom was fine with plenty of hot water. Never did I see any evidence of silver fish... I did see the odd ant, but thats normal in such a hot climate.. We used mosquito plugs and never got bitten. Yes there are no locks on the balcony or windows, we were on the 2nd floor and unless someone was on a huge pair of fire ladders it would be impossible to gain access to the apartment. Yes there is also a gate which anyone can gain access to, to get into the pool, but the doors of the apartment complex are locked from 9pm at night and unless you have a key, you will not be able to enter these apartments. The main downside and something that may put me off going back is that there is no air conditioning. We bought a large floor fan but this only blew hot air round the apartment and we suffered quite a bit with the lack of cool air. We left every window and balcony door open each night, but this did not help.
The pool is on the small side, but the beach is a 5 min walk away if this is a problem for anyone. My main problem with the pool area was the lack of shade. There are NO umberellas and although the bar area have 3 brolleys they are for guests using the bar,not for the apartment complex. There is also a lack of sunbeds and numerous of them cracked and broken. The bar as said before is so cheap and the measures huge. I however did find that that the bar area itself was always quite unkempt. It often looked dirty and untidy. We never ate any meals here, but round the corner was the Yorkshire Pride II and I can absolutley recommend it. The portions are huge and the prices very reasonable.
A lot of talk here about the housekeeper. This lady has been doing her job for over 30 years and takes no nonense. I found her helpful, pleasant, approachable. She runs a tight ship and I witnessed her throwing out a group of several guys who had obviously been up to no good. I took sick on my 3rd day and she was more than helpful and took it upon herself to call a doctor out to the complex for me. I honestly cannot thank her enough.
I did find that there were a lot of spanish young people around who were noisy, but no more noisy than the rest of the holidaymakers who were returning from an evening out.
This has been my 3rd time in benidorm and my first time in apartments. In my opinion the amount of romanian gypsies had greatly decreased. The P men were still around, but ignore them and dont get involved with their gambling and you will be fine. At the end of the day you get what you pay for. The aparments are average, they are in a great location, just unfortunate that there was no air conditioning as I would've had no hesitation in returning.

Room Tip: lifts are slow, so if you are impatient go for a lower floor, but then you have no sea view... all r...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I accompanied my family to these apartments, we were there from the 1st to 10th July.
Personally I absolutely hated it, although my family did not mind. We are certainly used to staying in nicer places. The only good thing I can say is the price is so cheap and in a good location - if you don't mind being kept awake all night and your apartment being infested in bugs then go for it!

We were on the third floor and my room was facing the pool, and given the Spanish had broken up for their Summer holidays - I was awoken many nights to loud screaming and their constant smoking of weed.
On the last night I was kept awake until 5am - and could only sleep once the people above us decided too.

Mayras 'rules' are an absolute joke - it states there will be no excessive noise after 10pm yet this really isn't the case. The apartments were apparently stated as 'family' yet all I saw was groups of rowdy lads and unruly Spanish teens/early twenties.

On the final night when I was kept up till 5am, upon turning on my light I saw a huge silverfish climbing up my wall - only to find my mum had seen many in the bathroom during the holiday.

I absolutely cannot stand bugs so silverfish climbing up the walls was the absolute last straw.

You have to pay to use the internet (around 25euros per week), pay 2euros? per day to use the safe deposit box, pay to get an extra change of towels if you need them before your designated towel change day.

The kitchen is a joke. The oven's knobs have no indication of which is for what - so that was a fun hour spent working it out. The plugs are in the worst places and barely reach appliances so you have to practically hold the kettle in mid air whilst it boils.

Last but not least, the apartments are on the back of a bar. Any one in the bar, or any random passer buy can get into the pool area and more scarily in the apartments. This is hardly safe for children or anyone. There are NO locks on the windows or balcony door. This caused much distress for my family that were staying on the 1st floor. What kind of place allows their windows and doors to be open at all times?!

I hated it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mayra Apartments? Share your experiences!