“Anniversary stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Anniversary stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Following a visit to the hotel during our stay at the Sol Pelicanas last summer we fell in love with the building, which closely resembled the hotel Elysium Paphos where we were married. We ate lunch in the golf club and the staff were friendly, letting us wander at will while we had a thorough look around. We decided then and there to return and celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We're booked to arrive this coming Thursday and I'm so excited I had to write in advance!. I hope the Villaitana lives up to our memory of it and that the few negative reviews I had read are singular experiences and not the norm. I have high expectations for our trip and am looking forward to making lots wonderful memories.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CommunityVillaitana, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Villaitana, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear guest,

On the first place, thank you for choosing Melia Villaitana to celebrate this special date. It will be a real pleasure for us to receive your visit and make your stay unforgettable. We hope you enjoy all our facilities and services. We remain at your entire disposal. Kind regards,

Inmaculada Lucas

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Polish first
Pattaya, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Its up to you 4 star or 5 star stayed hear for a golf long weekend i did not play but my 15 mates did. I just went for the break and to lay by the pool, in the day time and just chill out. the room i stayed in was very nice and big i had my own lounge, dinning area, along with a ensuite.
Only had halfboard but the breakfast was really good along with the staff, very clean and tidy. I can say this is a very nice place everythink i belive you would like on a hoilday.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
CommunityVillaitana, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Villaitana, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your time and for sharing with other TripAdvisor users your experience in Melia Villaitana.
We are pleased to read that you really got relaxed in our hotel and you enjoyed our breakfast and room very much.
We will be glad to welcome you in a future and make your visit unforgettable.
Best regards,

Wallasey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

What can I say excellent hotel , everything 5 star , rooms quality , breakfast as good as I have ever had and I have travelled all over Europe in some very expensive hotels .Very good facilities eg gym , spa , swimming pools excellent and very clean .Came for three nights to play four games of golf .Weather was sunny and warm very good for October .Really enjoyed the golf with the short course the highlight although only a 62 parr course it is very difficult .You need to hit very straight and if you don't then you will lose a lot of balls .It is a thinking course and you get free buggies to get around a very hilly and rocky terrain.We played it twice and it was a pleasure ,got around in decent time 3 and a half hours.We played twice the Levante championship course and this was a par 72..Although it was more forgiving it had a lot of problems if you went off line and many many bunks .It was very enjoyable to play the two rounds and a course I would go back to play again along with short course .The only problems was that it was very busy and with late tee off times 2.42 and 2.14 it was touch and go if we got in 18 holes before It went dark at 7 .20. The second day was especially busy and with a four ball two groups in front of us being very slow on greens made it a 5 hour round . It is only a short 10 euro taxi ride to old town and there are many good restaurants ands some good bars well worth the visit . I thoroughly recommend this golf break I will definitely be going again.

Room Tip: Try and get tee off times between 1 pm and 2 pm not as busy as morning , however , after 2 could be...
Dear Phil,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing Melia Villaitana for your recent stay in La Costa Blanca and for the minutes you have taken to send us your opinion about our facilities and services. We are very happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We would like to let you know that the Golf Course is an outsourced service; we will send your feedback to them. It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you in a near future.
Warm regards,

Inmaculada Lucas- Guest Experience Manager
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

A group of us visited Melia Villaitana on a short golfing break. The hotel is situated on a hill about 4 miles outside of Benidorm centre next to the Terra Mitica waterpark. We arrived late on a Thursday night but the booking in process was easy and the staff were very pleasant. The hotel is large and spread out but very well designed in the style of a spanish village and the main square was very nice. I was struck by how clean and tidy everywhere was. The pools that surround the hotel were excellent and not crowded and the grounds were well kept. The main bar was well appointed although not particularly cheap. The room was large, clean and more than adequate for my needs. Breakfast was excellent and lasted from 0700 -1100. I don't think there was a shuttle service but getting taxis was easy by asking at reception and always arrived within 10 minutes. I would say the majority of guests were male golfers but I didn't see any of the rowdiness mentioned in other posts. The golf itself, however, was a different matter. We played the main course first and it wasn't in very good condition, it certainly wasn't anything special at all. The other problem was it was so crowded that we had to wait before taking every shot. We tee'd off at 3pm and only just finished before it became too dark. Also on coming up the 9th towards the clubhouse we could hear very raucous laughter and bad language, shamefully to say from drunken British golfers. On the second day our tee off time was 1300 but when we arrived at the first tee there were 6 other groups still waiting to start. We decided not to play. All in all very disappointing. The hotel was excellent but they need to sort out the golf. As for Benidorm itself it was dreadful beyond description, a real eye opener. I know it is a popular resort but not my cup of tea and it is a shame that such a good hotel is located there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
CommunityVillaitana, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Villaitana, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear guest,
We really appreciate that you choosed Melia Villaitana for your recent golf trip.
We deeply regret that you found the Golf Course busy during your stay and that you suffered some delay in your tee times.
It is our desire that you trust in us again for a next stay,
We remain at your disposal for any kind of assistance,
Kind regards,

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at the Melia Villaitana for 6 nights two weeks ago to attend a conference. It was love at first sight! The staff were SUPER friendly and accommodating. The room was very nice and spacious. The hotel is meticulously well-maintained and has several amazing swimming pools, including the quiet pool at The Level for adults only. We also ate at some of the hotel's restaurants (many to choose from) and found the food to be delicious at all of them. The daily breakfast buffet (included in room rate) was quite a spread...even served champagne to make mimosas!

My favorite part of this hotel was actually one of the bars...the Papamambo Jazz Bar...for a few different reasons. One being that the bartenders are excellent. They are so friendly and make you feel right at home. If you like sangria, ask bartender Lucas to make you one. I consider myself a sangria connoisseur, and this is hands down the best I've ever had (think high quality liqueurs and fresh mangoes, strawberries, grapes, etc). You'll definitely have your dancing shoes on after drinking two of Lucas' sangrias.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Loren504,
On behalf of the entire team of Melia Villaitana we would like to thank you for the time you took to share your positive opinion about your experience in Melia Villaitana on TripAdvisor.
We really appreciate your nice comments about our hotel facilities and staff, especially about Lucas, who will be for sure very proud to receive such a positive feedback.
Do not hesitate that all our staff feel extremely happy for having exceeded your expectations. We sincerely hope that we have the chance to welcome you again very soon.
Warm regards,

Rickmansworth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Oh what a shame! I've been playing golf at Villaitana pretty much every year since the Nicklaus designed course opened in 2005, and as a low h'cap golfer I find the par 72 Levante course a great test, and demands careful course management. The kind of course that rewards balanced risk taking, or you'd be chewed up and spat out before the end of the front nine!
I played there today and on arrival was greeted by new parking charges to use the golf club's car park! You have to get your ticket validated at the shop before you leave, but of course, no one tells you this until you get to the exit gate, with a stack of cars pulling up behind you! The steward came out to offer what I thought would be some assistance, but instead told me I needed to either find a machine to pay my €2.5, or get my ticket validated at the shop! By this time the stack of cars had grown even further, and so I was totally stuck and unable to reverse my car out to let those behind through! The steward simply watched on as I got out of my car to ask the drivers behind to try to make some room to allow me to backup. Chaos ensued, and I couldn't help thinking that after having just spent over €200 for two green fees + a buggy and two salads for lunch, this really was an outrageous way to treat customers.
As for the golf (the main point of my trip!), it looks as though the whole place has gone into administration. The Pro Shop, once full of nice golf gear, now has completely empty shelves... Worse was to come when I went upstairs to the bar to buy some bottles of water, only to join a queue of people that stemmed all the way back to the entrance to the clubhouse! I nearly missed my tee time!
And as for Jack's course - I think he would want to have a few stern words with the course management about the state of the greens. It's a real shame to witness how they have declined. The course is a now a mere shadow of its former past, and I just hope they listen to the feedback given here and begin what will doubtless be a sizable & costly task to restore the condition of the course and make Jack proud!

Dear Scsnow,
We would like to thank you for having posted your opinion in TripAdvisor but we note that you did not stay with us in the hotel.
We are sorry for the inconvenience regarding the service in the Golf Course but we point out that is an outsourced service. Even so, we apologize if they did not reach your expectations and do not hesitate that we will inform them about your impressions.
We encourage you to give the Golf Course, which always receive very good reviews from our guests, another chance.
Best regards,

Brighton & Hove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I have mixed views. This is my second visit to this lovely location. Stayed at the level last time, and the normal hotel this time. Hardly noticed a difference.
I am a golfer, and one of the previous reviewers complained about "British golfers"
I understand what they were saying...to many groups of all male golfers drinking and being very noisy with quite a lot of swearing. Not what you want when you are away with your wife for a quiet holiday!
I am part of a group of all male golfers who go on trips at least once a year....but we never behave like this.
The good points were a lovely room, and a super breakfast. The pools and surrounding areas are stunning.
The golf courses are both good, and were both in good condition.
Easy access to benidorm where we found some great restaurants.
We will be back, and hopefully there will be a few less lager louts next time!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bonse,
First of all, we would like to thank you for have chosen Melia Villaitana once again for your stay in La Costa Blanca.
We know well that unfortunately not all of our customers behave in the same way, so we express our apologies in case others caused you any kind of trouble this time.
Thank you once again for your kind opinion about our hotel facilities and breakfast.
We are looking foward to welcome you back in the near future.
Kind regards,

Inmaculada Lucas - Guest Experience Manager

Been to Melia Villaitana? Share your experiences!