Stayed in September 2013 having previously stayed at the Level hotel on the same site when it was all part of the Sheraton chain. Had some positives namely the large room with excellent balcony and glorious view and the overall layout of the site is very good with the popular square and spacious pool area. Although I didn't play a round of golf our room overlooked one of the courses which looked in great shape. Booked early and the rate was very reasonable at around 90 Euros a night including breakfast. However also had quite a few negatives from our point of view. Worst was that if the air con was not on then there was a nasty smell coming up through the drains which was very unpleasant. The rooms did not have tea/coffee facilities (we had brought our own) but did have a fridge which was very useful. Only 1 bath towel each per day and no turn down service - OK but not great. Staff at reception were friendly but unfortunately very poor. Had to exchange both room keys 3 times and when its a 10 minute walk to the room from reception that can be frustrating! Also asked for a map of Benidorm at reception but didn't have one, asked for bus timetable and was given totally the wrong information. Had asked for early check in but not checked in until 345pm - 15 minutes before the guaranteed time. Breakfast had all the right items but didn't quite work with no meet & greet service, abundance of insects on the peaches in particular, cereal left out and hence stale. Fresh fried eggs and melon were fine though. Taxi cost between 10 and 15 Euros to Benidorm depending on day of week and time (Sunday's and late evenings more expensive). If you want a bus then timetable is dictated by Terra Mitica park nearby - when that is closed there are no buses to benidorm from the bus stop outside the hotel. You can get a bus into Benidorm at 1750 (one of only 2 in the day within walking distance) by leaving the hotel complex turning right and walk about 1 mile to the bus stop which states it is for the Number 1 bus - that will take you to the tram station where you can change for an onward destination if required. Cost is 1.5 Euros to Benidorm (which may be 2 buses but you just pay the first driver and then show your ticket to get on the second bus). Tram station is about 1 hour walk from hotel but worth it if you want a day trip on the tram/train to either Denia or Alicante - cost was about 13 Euros return and journey time about 80 minutes but you do get some great scenery along the way to both Alicante and Denia.
My lasting impression is that the hotel has gone downmarket and suffered cost cutting since leaving the Sheraton chain. Most striking example was when I asked for 2 towels at the pool and was told no - only one and when that is used you can have another one! Wouldn't mind but the towel wasn't big enough to cover the lounger - fetch your own I guess! Doubt we will return to this hotel in all honesty.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated 20 minutes from Alicante, Melia Villaitana has two hotels Melia Villaitana 4* y The Level at Melia Villaitana 5*. Melia Villaitana has been designed in the form of a Mediterranean village, lying between 2 golf courses designed by Nicklaus Design and boasting some wonderful views of the Gran Bahia of the Costa Blanca. Its 25 individual buildings and its unique architectural style replicate picturesque squares and historic corners of the region, making the hotel an innovative experience for both leisure and business, and positioning it as a new concept of exclusivity, comfort and service on the Costa Blanca.Accommodation: The hotel has 455 spacious double rooms, including 99 rooms of The Level (5 star) category.Services: The hotel has 2 golf courses, 5,000 m2 of outdoor pools, as well as a wide range of cuisine, 2 tennis and 6 paddle courts, an outdoor childrens play area, a kids club, artificial beach and a complete Spa & Wellness Center with 13 treatment rooms, thermal pools, gym and relaxation room. A Convention Centre with 6,000 m2 of flexible space, divided into 17 meeting rooms to meet every requirement in relation to conferences and large events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Melia, Venere, Priceline, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Melia Villaitana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villaitana Wellness Golf And Business Sun Resort
- Villaitana Wellness Golf & Business Sun Hotel Benidorm
- Villaitana Wellness Hotel Business Sun
- Villaitana Wellness Resort Business Sun
- Sheraton Benidorm