“Fab Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
Halifax
“Fab Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Avenida from 1st July to 8th July 2012 through OnTheBeach holidays

After reading mixed reviews but a general consensus for a nice hotel, we decided to take the plunge for this hotel due to the location and not having been to Benidorm before.

Firstly, the transfer from the airport was OK (through Resort Care) but it dropped off quite a way from the hotel with no really clear instructions where the hotel was (basically a general 'over there' gesture in the middle of a busy town centre). We walked around for a good 15mins and had to ask multiple locals where the hotel was. It was a good thing I knew the hotel wasn't far from the beach due to photos I had seen.

Once found, I was pleasantly surprised at its location. Right in the heart of the town and VERY close to the beach on a side street which lots of restaurant/shops around.

Check-In/Reception
The hotel looked a bit more 'classy' from the outside than many hotels I have stayed at over the years which filled me with hope. The check-in was straight forward as we arrived well after check-in time and the reception staff we very keen and friendly to ensure we got sorted quickly and up to our room.

Room
I was a little disappointed with the location of our room as had one of the rooms that overlooked the inside courtyard so no balcony. I do utilise a balcony a lot on holidays when it gets too hot to sit in the sun. Though, if this had been a major impact on my stay I would have requested a room change if possible. As it was, the room still stayed cool and was very nice. Very clean, smelled very fresh on entry and spacious. I stayed with my sister so we had a twin with single beds and I did find the beds a little uncomfortable, mainly a personal issue as im used to a double. I also usually use lots of pillows but bless the housekeepers; I used the blankets as extra pillows and the next day they left me 2 extra pillows!

Pool
Choose this hotel in particular due to having the pool on the roof, which if you look around is quite unusual in this area. The pool is tiny though...not really a pool you can properly 'swim' in if you like doing lengths! Also, the amount of space for sunbeds is not large for the size of the hotel. By 11am if you haven't got a sunbed you you wont get one (both around the pool and on the terrace). The side terrace away from the pool is really great and has a fantastic view across to the sea. We spent most of the time sunbathing on the terrace. The pool bar is great too and also provided snacks which was good as we didn't have to go down for lunch and loose our sunbed!

This is one aspect I was very wary of to be honest. First time I have ever gone all inclusive and we can sometimes be a bit picky with food. Also prior to going I had read some mixed reviews so
really didn't know what to expect.

Really really surprised with the amount of variety and standards of food at each meal. Something for everyone. Dinner especially for me was a bonus as had different dishes each night which included fish, pasta, vegetables and also didn't just have chips every night (a range of different potatoes each night). Liked the buffet style concept which really look the stress out of what to eat. Excellent range of deserts too. Only one gripe - would have liked ability to refill soft drinks ourselves. The waiters asked when we initially sat down but never really came back during the meal for more drinks. I did have to ask a few times for refills (just Coca Cola) and it just felt it would have been easier with ability to refill your own (like coffee/orange at breakfast).

They do have a dress code for dinner which is casual but they do not allow shorts/vest tops, no bare chests etc which is understandable really. One night while we were there a Brit ruined everyone elses dinner by hurling abuse at the poor waiter/seater because he had been asked to change his top. I found this quite disturbing in the middle of a restaurant full of people enjoying their dinner!

Location/Benidorm
As our first time in Benidorm, the location was perfect. Right in the heart of the town and not far from Levante Beach. The beach is great and plenty of room. They do hire out sunbeds/parasols for 4 Euros each (so 2 sunbeds and 1 parasol was 12 Euros) which I found quite reasonable. The sand does get hot though so make sure you take some shoes! Also loved the 'feet washes' which are located near to each beach exit which use sea water pumped up to wash the sand off.

Along the front there were lots of restaurants/bars. Our favourties were Penelopes which had some dancers later in the night.....the best BY FAR was Daytonas Bar (American Themed) on the Saturday Night. You MUST get there early to get a decent seat but the live music and atmosphere was electric....we only went here the night we were due to leave and I would loved to have gone a few more times.

Terra Mitica (Theme Park), Terra Natura (Zoo) and Terra Aquatica (Waterpark) can all be reached via very affordable and easy to use buses from bust stop opposite entrance to Mederia Centro Hotel (tall blue one!!), bus No.3...costs 1 Euro 40 for a single. We only went to Terra Natura (25 Euros but you can pick up some offer leaflets around) and we really enjoyed it

Overall
This hotel is great. It may not suit everyone, but for your first visit to Benidorm to get the 'fee' I would highly recommend. We thoroughly enjoyed our week here and already miss it :P

Room Tip: Room facing outside and not inner courtyard
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is well good, since it was my first time of going to Spain I didn't know what to expect but it lived up to mine and my friends expectations, we went all inclusive and well got our money's worth, the Spanish people that run the hotel are very welcoming, the food is great the location is excellent, close to the beach and lots of shops, overall we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would recommend the hotel to anyone

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
North Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed here recently and found it a lovely hotel. Very central, right amongst the shops and round the corner from the beach.

We went half board, it was only about £10 more than b&b, so we thought that even if we only ate there once it would be ok. We ate there every night. Lots of choice and even towards the end of the service, they were still bringing out more if anything had run out. Breakfast had the usual self-service choice of bacon, sausage, egg etc, but also cereal, yoghurts, fresh fruit, pastries. Evening meal was also self service. Salads, soup, to start. Big bowls of olives and various oils,. there was always a pasta choice, then either fish, meat (or you could eat both) veg, potatoes etc. One night they had a palm tree made out of prawns - sounds weird, looked weird, but the prawns were superb.

There was entertainment in the bar but we didn't watch any of it as we went out after dinner. The hotel is near all the lovely picturesque little streets which people don't think of when they think about Benidorm.

I don't think that the hotel and the area around attracted the stag and hen parties, we were there for a week and only saw one group of lads late one night!

The only complaint I have is the view from our room. The room itself was spacious, very clean, had tv, safe (pay at reception if you want to use it) large bathroom. In fact the room was probably one of the biggest I've had, but it looked out directly into the apartments opposite. There was no net curtain so if you had the curtains open, we could see everyone opposite and they could see us. They appeared to be residential apartments so people were hanging up washing, eating their meals and looking straight into our room.

We spent most of the time in our room with the curtains closed, got up, showered, dressed with curtains closed, even in the morning. We did ask to change rooms, but were told that the hotel was full. We didn't let it spoil our holiday because we were out and about most of the time.

If we'd had a different view from our room, I would have rated this hotel 5/5.

Room Tip: Don't have room 312
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This hotel says it is suitable for disabled people.it is certainly not!!!,you cant even get a wheelchair in the lift!!!,there are steps up to the pool,and down to the sun terrace!!!,this hotel has made our stay in benidorm very very difficult,We were not allowed to hire a double scooter,as they said they had no room for one!!!,so for ten days i had to push my father in a wheelchair!!!,we hired a single scooter for my mam,but my parents were totally dependent on us,as they could not go out without us!!! The hotel is full of stag do,s,the noise is ridiclous.We have never slept much for ten nights.Coach drops you off quite a long way from hotel,not good when you have 4 cases,and parents who are disabled!!,We asked for help when leaving,and we were told as we were leaving early,there was no one to help us!!,a guest who was staying at avenida,help us to pickup point! thanks again jimmy.I WOULD NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN!!,we were made to feel like a inconvience,not a guest!!!,two good points the lovley welsh lady on reception,she was really helpful,also the food is nice.

Room Tip: dont stay here!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Absolutely perfect, fantastic location, staff wonderful. 2 minutes to beach. The resort was very well maintained with constant cleaning all around. The hotel was very clean and tidy all the time. food was quite variable and could not complain about it at all along with the lovely Pedro (restaurant manager) and staff who made you feel special. The entertainment was lively and We booked this hotel a few months back and requested a room with balcony, which we were fortunate and delighted to get, room 218. The pool at the top of hotel was small but nice and did the job of keeping you cool in the hot sun. Will always go back to the Avenida when we go to Benidorm. Brilliant location for everything

Room Tip: request a room with a balcony
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in January 2012 for three nights.
Hotel was very clean and the food was excellent.
Rooftop pool not very big but was lovely and heated.
Hotel is in a great position and I would definitely go back to this hotel and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Nantwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This was our first time at the Avenida Hotel, and we would certainly go back. The food was really good, plenty of choice, always hot and very varied. The staff were all very pleasant and willing. When we arrived our room was one without a balcony, so we asked if we could change, it was not possible for 2 nights, but then they rang to say we could change (thanks Liz) this was great we were on the front of the hotel so able to watch the hustle and bustle. Rooms were kept very clean, as were beds and towels, we were AI and the drinks were fab, all named not just local. The only thing that lets this hotel down is the entertainment, it really does need updating.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Avenida? Share your experiences!