“Better then expected!!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
oxford
“Better then expected!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

I had been looking at the reviews and really didnt want to g to this hotel! we tried to change the hotel but couldnt, Me my boyfriend and my 3yrold son arrived on 22june for 2wks,first of all it was really nice and clean! not what i expected... the food was fine always a selection! but get really bored of it after a while!! First choice KIDZ CLUB was FAB!!! My son loved it!! Loopy lauren and silly steph was brilliant!!! the hotel entertainment was ok for the kids not so much for the adults tho!! the staff were fab we got on really well with them...we did get the bug which wasnt nice!! but it didnt ruin our holiday we had a great time, all in all was good for a 3 star hotel!! :)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

stayed at the regete in march,6 adults are returning in november. however having read the reviews i think this hotel has a big problem, on our return in march i was violently sick and had the runs , my husband became ill the next day, it lasted 2 days (not nice.)
never gave it a thought until i started reading how many people had had the same problem.i think first choice need to look at this A S A P ,UP TO NOW I WILL NOT BE BOOKING THIS HOTEL IN NOVEMBER,shame nice hotel nice staff good entertainment but who wants to be ill on holiday.over to you first choice!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
janmpspain, Public Relations Manager at MedPlaya Hotel Regente, responded to this review, July 16, 2010
We are really very sorry to hear that you were ill on return from your holiday in March. The hotel has continual and regular external health and hygiene checks and consistently shows that the levels of hygiene and quality controls are extremely high. We take the health and safety of our customers very seriously and the regular controls we have in place show that the illness some guests have been reporting cannot be attributed to any fault in the hotels procedures and services. We do know that they symptoms reported are those of the Noro Virus which is an airborne virus very active across Europe. There are regular cases reported in the UK and across Europe. Please rest assured that we work very closely with our partners First Choice and they are fully aware of all the results of our external hygiene checks and controls.
We are very sorry to hear you were ill but we would please ask you to reconsider booking the hotel for your next break. We are very glad to hear that you like the services we provide at the Regente and we would like to be able to welcome you back there in the future.
manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

We arrived 24th June and had dinner, some hours later I was violently sick and had the runs which lasted until the following Tuesday, my son and grandson were the same until the following Sunday, although there were many other people experiencing the same problem when we complained to the 1st choice rep she denied there was a problem, all she promised was that head office would get my complaint. We were booked in "all inclusive" but didnt dare eat again in the hotel turned out to be a very expensive week! As a bit of constructive critisism look at the revues for this hotel on the internet, you will see the word BUG mentioned.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
We are very sorry to hear that you were not very well during your stay with us at the Hotel Regente. Some of our customers do seem to have experienced the illness which comes from the Noro Virus which is an airborne virus unfortunately quite prolific across Europe. There are cases reported weekly in the UK and other parts of Europe. The Hotel Regente follows very stringent and tight guidelines regarding hygiene and we have regular external checks carried out. The hotel always shows to have high levels of hygiene ,cleanliness and quality control. We are truly sorry that you and your family suffered from an illness whilst with us in the hotel.
n ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

just home on sat, stayed for 2 weeks half board but after 2 days the food was so good and all inclusive was such good value for money that we upgraded for £12 per person a day. our 7 year old was free. fantastic hotel,cleaners around the hotel 24/7, friendly staff and a fantastic 100% save thompsons kids club. the hotel enterainers were also v.good and friendly. the only downside to the food would be the lack of kids options ie. chicken nuggets that sorta thing but the over all spread was really tasty and food is available throughout the whole day. night time entertainment was 50/50 some nites very enjoyable other ok but always good for the kids. hotel in a great location walking distance 5mins from the beech and bus stop at your door to all the parks. my only sugestion to regente is to make the lounge area non smoking, 1. because the kids are in ther a lot and also as soon as I came out my roon on the 1st floor I could smell it. not great when im a retired smoker!! as for this bug..yes i did get sick the 1st day of my 2nd week i was very ill vomiting and the other my daughter had slight vomiting and my partner tummy cramps. we have really tried to put our finger on the source, but just dont know, the hotel is clean food well cooked and hot and its not the ice we seen ourselves the ice is not frooze from their water so wee realy dont know. all in all we throughly enjoyed our stay and would come back to this hoel again if we return to benidorm. A+++++++++++++++++ for thompson kids club one wee tip dont book any trips to places through the reps you can pick up money off coupons all over the place r book at round town beside the hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
janmpspain, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Hotel Regente, responded to this review, July 16, 2010
Thankyou for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Hotel Regente.
We are pleased to hear that overall you were very happy with the standards of accommodation , service and food.
We are sorry to hear that your holiday enjoyment was affected by the Noro Virus which is an airborne virus that has affected various European area in recent months. We hope that you are fully recovered from your illness now, and that we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel Regente or one of our other 10 hotels on mainland Spain in the future.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

DAY ONE 17/06/2010: Arrived for check in to be told that our two rooms booked were on separate floors. When booking through first choice we told them that as one of our party was disabled we would need a low floor next to each other. The staff was very unhelpful and would not change the room, even though the hotel was not fully booked! We are non smokers and were disappointed that our room smelt like an ashtray.
I became really ill. I was unable to hold anything down and continued to violently vomit for two days. I had diarrhoea and could not leave the room. I was unable to eat for four days of my all inclusive holiday. Due to being ill I could not look after my elderly and disabled mother in law as I think if she had caught the bug it would have been a lot more serious.

a few days later I then went to see another rep from the hotel. She again was dismissive and not at all interested.

I spoke with other people that had also had the bug from the hotel

Overall, the cleanliness of the hotel was not GREAT. There was chocolate drink spilt on the stairwell that remained there for three days. The windows and glass doors were very dirty and our bath was not cleaned once during our stay! The sheets and towels were spotless, but unfortunately they all stunk of smoke!

Another thing that was really disappointing was that we could not see the entertainment at night as there was no wheelchair access. If the restaurant was open at the beginning then you could go that way, but when the entertainment finished the restaurant was closed so we were unable to get back to our rooms.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Thankyou for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Hotel Regente.
We are sorry to hear that your holiday enjoyment was affected by the Noro Virus which is an airborne virus that has affected various European area in recent months. The hotel follows very stringent rules and guidelines concerning hygiene and cleanliness and we have regular external checks which always confirms that the Hotel Regente has a very high level of cleanliness. The Noro Virus unfortunately is very common these days across Europe. We value feedback from our customers and your comments will be taken into account as we aim to provide all our customers with a happy stay in our hotels.
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

We stayed 23rd to the 30th of June and found the Hotel very clean and friendly with a very clean restaurant and rooms that are meticulously cleaned on a daily basis. The position of the Hotel is good and the staff are very helpful, unfortunately starting on the second day, the three of us, one after another got a very nasty stomach bug with vomiting etc lasting around 24-36hrs each over 4 days. I now wish i had taken more interest in the previous reviews as this ruined our family Holiday. We all washed hands regularly and always used the anti bacterial dispensers placed outside the restaurant entrance doors, I doubt it is a food problem as we all eat different meals, my partner and daughter are vegetarian. I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with the air conditioning system holding/spreading a virus, We believe that the bug must be linked to the Hotel Regente, there are just too many coincidences in the reviews for this Hotel in particular and it needs to be investigated further to prevent more incidents occuring and ruining what should be a good reputation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
CustomerServiceMgr, Guest Relations Manager at MedPlaya Hotel Regente, responded to this review, July 2, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Hotel Regente.

We are pleased to hear that overall you were very pleased with the standards of accommodation, service and food.

We are sorry to hear that your holiday enjoyment was affected by the Noro Virus which is an airborne virus that has affected various european areas in recent months. We hope that you are fully recovered from your illness now, and that we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel Regente or one of our other 10 hotels on mainland spain in the future.
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a fortnight (from 18/6 until 26/6) and after reading the reviews before we went, I wasnt looking forward to the holiday in the slightest!I had set my expectations low but when we first entered the hotel you could see that the cleanliness certainly wasnt an issue in this hotel as the reception was immaculate! Luckily this was the case for the whole hotel. The receptionists were always really friendly, the night time receptionist only spoke a little english but this was not a problem as he always tried his best to help you despite this.
The rooms were really nice and cleaned on a daily basis, our maid on the 7th floor was great!! Yes the walls are paper thin and you can hear pretty much everything from the next room but it certainly didnt ruin the holiday. However it was pretty annoying when the people next door insisted on banging on the wall when you decided to speak on entering your room after the night time entertainment. We listened to a very loud tv through the night for about a week of our holiday so I dont think our talking could have been too hard to put up with.
We were all inclusive and there was always plenty of food to choose from, I had no complaints regarding the food the 2 weeks we were there. The greeter in the restaurant, Pedro was really friendly and ensured that everyone used the sanitisation gel when entering the restaurant. Yet another measure the hotel have taken to ensure complete cleanliness.
I found the entertainment good on a nightly basis. Every night begins with a kids disco which keeps the kids occupied followed by bingo (every second night) which is completely FREE so no reason not to join in. Then followed by either one or two acts and then karaoke or a mini disco (in the bar) so theres never a reason to be bored and have nothing to do.
The first week of our holiday there was not a problem getting sunloungers by the pool but the 2nd week with it getting busier you would see people going down with towels as early as 7am. so getting a bed might be a bit of a problem in the busier period. The hotel is right next to lots of shops and bars and only about a 5minute walk from the beach. i suggest getting the code for the back gate from reception as it saves you walking around the side of the hotel. however this gate is only open to 6pm and i think it would be much better being open all of the time, saving the walk up the dark street behind the hotel late at night.
A week into my holiday i was struck with the "dreaded" bug. not anywhere near as bad as i had expected after readind the reviews. i was unwell for 48 hours but nothing that made me bedbound and unable to enjoy myself. go prepared, take over the counter medication and you'll be totally fine.
The only complaint i would have with the hotel is that they only have 2 lifts which is nowhere near enough for the amount of guests. sometimes we found ourselves waiting ,what felt like a lifetime, on the life before giving in and taking the stairs. walking up 7 flights of stairs is not always easy when youre tired after a long day.
All in all i think this was an excellent hotel and one of the best holidays ive been on. I would definitely return to this hotel, regardless of what i read on here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to MedPlaya Hotel Regente? Share your experiences!