“surprised by benidorm” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
glasgow
“surprised by benidorm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

My Girlfriend and I stayed for 4 nights and found this hotel to be far better than we expected. My girlfriend was not pleased when I booked this as a surprise as the thought of going to Benidorn for two 39year olds was not very appealing. The Hotel rooms were very clean and of 4 star standard, the pool area was fantastic and ideal place to spend the day in the sun relaxing. We booked on half board basis and decided to use this for lunch instead of dinner so we could sample other restaurants, we found that there was plenty of choice and food was of a good standard but it was very busy at peak times and we preffered to relax over dinner in the evenings. We found the staff vey friendly and helpful. The hotel is situated in a quiet part of Benidorm which but was nice to walk to beach and lively bars. We were a bit anxious about Benidorm but have to admit had a fantastic time with the hotel making it so special.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

Stayed at this hotel for three nights. The lobby I guess to some would be quite impressive I found it to be like the lobby to an office block...the reception staff were efficient and check in took about two minutes.My room on the first floor overlooked the pool area.The room was realistically 3 star with well worn furnishings and the bathroom was clean but not gleaming..the balcony doors did not lock but I was not overly concerned as the room had a safe...the air conditioning was very poor and seemed to be blowing non cooled air.I stayed on a half board basis and found the food to be ok as you can imagine in a hotel with 500 rooms it was very much like a school canteen in the presentation and atmosphere...the food and cleanliness must of been ok as I did not suffer from any side effects from eating it (lol).The hotel location is a 20 minute walk from the beach and about 40 minute walk from the old town.The pool area was very good although I did not use it. Benidorm was great for a three night break but I would not want to be there any longer than that.All in all ok and for 105 euros per night (room for 2 half board) it was ok.

Northumberland UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Melia Benidorm for 7 days. The room was very nice bathroom small but had everything we needed. Free use of safe and a fridge. Air conditioning - we still trying to work out hope it works! Pool area very nice as were the gardens. Staff ok. A lot of spanish people staying in hotel maybe why the food was not good. Breakfasts were fine but I hardly ate anything on an evening. Ok if you like fish.

• Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

I went to The Melia for a long weekend with 4 friends to celebrate turning 40 this year!

Our first impression was of the reception area, wow! The booking in process was smooth and the porter was very quick to relieve us of our baggage. Our hotel room was extremely comfortable with a great view of the pool area and surrounding gardens. The gardens are magnificent and well kept. Here's some points that might help:

1. Pool area - excellent, peaceful with plenty of sun loungers. We were 5 ladies taking a break from hectic family and work lives, therefore, this was just what the doctor ordered!The pool area catered more for adults, however, there was a childrens pool. The food at the pool bar is awful, eat in the hotel restaurant or in the many cafes on the way to the beach.
2. Restaurant - good, very busy with a hectic atmosphere. If you are someone like me who likes to eat slowly and spend the evening sharing a good bottle of wine with friends, I would suggest to eat out occasionally. We ate at the hotel due to paying for half board. Saying that, the food was excellent with a great choice. The staff were extremely efficient and worked very hard. Maybe some background music would help soften the atmosphere.
3. Beach - good, the walk to the beach took approx 10 mins and you passed pubs / shops that didn't fit well with the luxury accommodation, but, this is Benidorm and you shouldn't expect anything else! The cost of the beach loungers was cheap, 3 euros. The sandy beach is lovely but the sea entance was rocky.
4. Hotel Entertainment - none, well none that I came across but it's Benidorm and a hotel can't compete with what's out there! We did go to the Benidorm Palace, a 10 min walk from the hotel and the show exceeded my expectations, brilliant!
5. Benidorm Town - the hotel is situated in a very quiet area and you need to walk a fair distance to reach the hustle and bustle that we all know as Benidorm, however, taxi ranks are every where and costs approx 8 euros. This suited me, I could have the best of both worlds, peace and tranquility or a jumping night life!

Would I stay at the Melia again? Defintely. I'm thinking of booking another weekend with my husband, the hotel atmosphere and surroundings are wonderful! I'll probably book bed & breakfast so that I can sample some of the restaurants.

glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

5 females celebrating being 40 stayed at the Melia for 4 nights...decided to stay here as reviews here said itwas good, albeit the food wasnt the best ..decided to go for plush surroundings and would eat out if neccessary..absolutely delighted Hotel was stunning, Food choices and presentation were excellent, staff were excellent , rooms were lovely and spotless..overall had agreat holiday and would definately stay here again, ok so sometimes there were queues but hey they are catering for huge numbers amd whats the rush, its a holiday

Stayed June 2006
Bham, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2006

I stayed in the Melia Benidorm hotel this month (June) and found it to be everything I expected it to be and more. From the moment you see the reception area you'll be saying 'wow'. Rooms are quite large, clean, tidy and a pleasue to be in. The swimming pool is also wonderful, a joy to swim in. Although the food wasnt very hot at times there was always plenty of choice, and excellent value.

Although I wasnt too keen on Benidorm itelf I'd have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to friends.

dukinfield cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

Went to this hotel for four days over Easter (March 2006) I was apprehensive about staying on one of the higher floors but upon checking in and asking for a lower floor I was thrilled to be given one on the fourth floor. The room itself was lovely and the furnishings were of a high standard. The pool area was absolutely beautiful with lagoon style pools,waterfalls etc. All the rooms in the hotel overlooked the pool which was nice. The reception was impressive with glass lifts and planted areas. The indoor pool was a bit dingy and the roof leaked when we had rain.The hotel was located near plenty of bars,shops and restaurants and was about a ten minute walk to the beach. We found it quiet at night and although in a busy area we were never disturbed. As we are vegetarians we found the buffet choice of food extremely limited and it was often lukewarm, therefore if we stayed at this hotel again we would stay bed and breakfast as the evening meals were not to our liking. Apart from the choice of food we would highly recommend this hotel as it was extremely clean and very attractive.

Been to Melia Benidorm? Share your experiences!