“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Cartagena
Sydney, Australia
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I wanted a base while I visited family. It was comfortable, felt very safe, they were helpful and I had everything I needed. I had a room overlooking Alfonso XIII main road but it was a good size and not noisy - there are shutters, good windows and 3 layers of curtaining! Even though not standard in each room, they immediately provided a kettle and cups for my room so I could make tea etc. There was nothing else I needed. Restaurant for breakfast a bit bland and boring. The range of yoghurt and fruit was not fantastic - I'm a fruit and yoghurt addict - but if you like melons, kiwi fruit, bananas - it's fine and in any event it has a more than adequate range of cereals, cooked items, cheeses etc. There is a really great resturant/cafe/tapas bar a few doors up the road (in opposite direction to city). 10 to 15 mins walk to shopping centre; 25 mins to Port but a lovely, flat walk so no problem at all.

Room Tip: I was told from previous reviewers not to get a room with windows that faced a wall. i think that wa...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
PedroGarcia, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Alfonso XIII, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Guest,

we would like to thank you very much for your comments but also for your useful remarks.
We are very happy and proud that you liked the room and location. With reference to the breakfast I apologize for not exceeding your expectations about the selection for fresh fruit and yoghurt.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions, helping us to constantly increasing our standards.

Looking forward to welcoming you again,

warmest regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Stromness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

This trip was a treat for my Mother and I was hoping that the hotel would be suitable, it met our expectations.On arrival at the hotel we were greeted warmly by the reception staff and helped to the lifts with our cases. The hotel foyer looks very elegant ane welcoming.
The room was clean and well provisioned with laundry, toletries and mine bar. The beds were comfortable and we slept well. The windows overloked the street but the double double galzing kept out any street noise and we were not disturbed.
The Alfonso XIII is perfectly located for the historical center, cafes, resturants and shops, all within walking distance.
We had a very enjoyable stay and the staff were always friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel for va comfortable stay in Cartagena.

• Stayed May 2011
hotelalfonsoxiii, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Alfonso XIII, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
Dear guest:
Thank you very much for your opinion about your recent stay.
Your feedback is very much appreciated. With pleasure I will pass on your kind words to our staff.
Again, thanks for taking the time and we hope to see you again.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

Have stayed here a few times - does exactly what it says on the tin. Easy check-in, comfy bed, good bathroom, quiet for the night. Easy access to all of Cartagena's sights. Very good VFM Chinese just down the road (turn left) with wine at 4E a bottle!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
hotelalfonsoxiii, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Alfonso XIII, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Dear guest:
Thank you very much for your opinion about your recent stay.
Your feedback is very much appreciated.
Again, thanks for taking the time and we hope to see you again.
Dorset, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We stayed here for one night and arrived at 11.30 am. Although check in is officially from 12 noon we were immediately checked in with good humoured efficiency. I had sent a fax requesting that we were not given a room facing a wall, and this request was confirmed and adhered to. The underground car park is 13 euros per day and it can be difficult to manoeuvre into some of the spaces, although the attendant is on hand to assist. Our room was pleasant and faced the main road, but closing the window kept out most of the traffic noise. The typical Spanish buffet breakfast was more than adequate although the hot food was merely lukewarm. We did nto try the restaurant but some of our friends who were also staying there, pronounced it exellent, if a little pricey. The hotel is very well located and is on the main road as you leave the motorway, which means that when leaving, one is on the motorway in minutes. It is comfortably within walking distance of the port area and most places of interest. It is worth mentioning, that the hotel website states that the rooms contain tea and coffee making facilities. In fact they do not, but these are available on request. We queried this at reception, and on returning to our room, a gentle tap on the door a few minutes later, revealed a maid with a large tray on which were a kettle, cups and saucers, tea, coffee, milk and sugar. Nicely done!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
hotelalfonsoxiii, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Alfonso XIII, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Dear guest:
Let me start by thanking you for your opinion about your recent stay at our property.
Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.
We hope to see you again.
Again, thanks for taking the time and have a great day!
Hope Valley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

The hotel was conveniently strolling Located in easy Reach of the main sights in Cartagena, the room was comfortable and quiet and There Was free internet access in the lobby. WAS by the hotel parking in a secure car park. We Were Treated courtesly and warmly by Both the hotel and everyone we met in Cartagena. Both would recommend the hotel and Cartagena as worth visiting.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
hotelalfonsoxiii, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Alfonso XIII, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Dear guest,
We are pleased to read your kind words. Your opinion is very important to us.
I esteem very much that you like Cartagena and its people. We hope to see you soon. Thank you very much.
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

We've booked two rooms . Once we've entered inside we have noticed a strange smell in the room ......
At the moment when we want to get out we have noticed that one of our room's door cannot be closed ; so , they've changed our rooms .
Nothing to worry us .... we came to the hotel around 12 pm and BIG SURPRISE ; once we have started the A/C equipment ( being end of July and the outside temperatures during the day being heigher of 30 degrees Celsius ) , a bad smell came inside ( like being directly from the toilet - you know what I mean ) .
no air comming on the windows ( the rooms being on the inside part of the hotel not to the street ) .
in conclusion , one of the worst night we've spent during our vacation in Spain.
In the next morning after we've ckecked out I have asked to talk with the Manager in duty of this hotel ; he does not appear at all .....
advise : if you ever visit this hotel ask for a room facing the street
To the Best Western Cartagena manager ; try to speak with your customers and in this way you'll find a lot of interesting things about your hotel !!!!!!! if you care about your customers ......

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
hotelalfonsoxiii, Director General at Hotel Alfonso XIII, responded to this review, September 1, 2010
Dear guest:
Let me start by thanking you for writing your suggestions about your recent stay at our property.
When I have read your suggestions, I remember I went there to see you, but already you had gone. I am sorry if I was late but I had a visit.
Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.
Juan Carlos García
Director
Best Western Alfonso XIII
marbella
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

not an impressive 4 star, but you get more than you pay for in my opinion.
room clean and big. asked for wake up call that never came so missed our bus.
hotel refunded tickets and gave us the taxifare to bus station and home in the other end.
this amounted to much more than our hotel bill, very impressive service.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Alfonso XIII? Share your experiences!