“lots of fun” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Madrid

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
chicago
“lots of fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

We traveled to Madrid Spain for the first time at the End of Feb 2009. That a great time to go as its not hot and not cold the weather is wonderful. I would recommend going to Plaza Mayor in downtown as its fun to sit at a cafe and watch all the things going on around you. I did alot a research on place to go and shop. The best place to shop is downtown be sure to walk around the whole circle on both sides as I did not and missed alot of cool stores. DO ride the Merto every where as the different parts of town have different atmosheres going on. I read before going to look up. You will miss alot of neat buildings if you dont. People in Spain are nice but if you got any where to eat they will take awhile to serve you. I think its because they have a hard time understanding english. Pointing at the menu worked great for us. I would recommend trying imberica ham and different cheeses they are wonderful. We had some of the best coffee at Albes Cafe on the cornor of lopez de hoyes and manutano. metro stop prosperidad. If you get a chance go there the wait staff are awesome.

Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

We spend some time in Madrid at the end of last year and beginning of 2009. We have managed to do a lot and see alot. One of the things that really helped us to discover Madrid with all the wonderful stories was the Sandeman's New Madrid Tour. Highly recommend. We accidently stumbled upon this tour, while being disappointed that the Palace was closed and pretty much every other museum in that vicinity. The guide Juan Pablo, was extremely knowledgeble and with a wonderful sense of humour. He took us all over the core of Madrid, some of the places I doubt we would have ever found, if we would have done it ourselves, but most of all the story of the city that he told. He recited the poem of Pablo Neruda and almost brought me to tears!!! The tour is free, guides are only asking for your tip(whatever you can afford). You can find the guides at Puerta del Sol . If I am not mistaken they offer 2 tours, one at 11 and the other is at 15:00.
Definately recommend to visit the Royal Palace and of course Prado museum is a mast. I think in the evening from 5 pm you can visit the museum for free. If you are looking for that one place, which you can comment to your friends "I've been there" you must wine and dine yourselves at "La Botin" restaurant. The food was fantastic and prices were resonable (for Spain). Service and atmospherewas great and since it is in the Guinness book of records, you can proundly declare , or at least I can "I've been there!"
Overall Madrid was wonderful!

Baguio, Philippines
“The Quality of Life in Madrid”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

Having been to several metropolitan cities in different continents, I watched how stressful city life goes on in many of them. People all hurrying up to catch their train, flight or cab... or people standing with hurriedly eaten meals... or simply running past a throng without time to say "excuse me" or "sorry". That is the typical set-up in a city belonging to the first world. Until I went to Madrid where I noticed how slower their pace would be. No one was rushing to work. All shops close for their lunch break. It's a center for culture, arts, history. And I guess it's a first world city that knows how to balance economic development with a good quality of life. In my opinion -It's the quality of life that I would hope to have. Ahhh, Madrid!!! Purita from Philippines

indianapolis indiana usa
“Be alert on the Subway!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

Having traveled to Madrid several times my wife and I have always had a grand time. So much to do and see and getting around is very simple. Travelers, however should be cautious on the subway ,and for that fact most places toursits go. Twice I experienced attempts to be pickpocked. On the subway two young women were able to pick my wallet. As I got off of the subway and the doors were closing I realized my wallet was gone and the two were smiling at me. Reporting the theft at the local police station was another story in itself! The second attempt was at Puerta del Sol . This time I was able to grab the man trying to pick (a fake wallet) from by back pocket and put him in a wrist lock taking him to the ground(Iam a retired teacher and wrestling coach) He and his partner who had pretended to stumble in front of me as a diversion ran off. Pickpockets are found in all the major cities in Spain and Europe ,but I would still not hesitate to travel throughout Spain or the continent. It's all part of the adventure!

Dover, United Kingdom
“First Visit to Spain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

We visited at the end of October and the weather was mostly good - sunshine, sometimes chilly, one day poured with rain. The city is very easy to get around, whether on foot or by metro and most sights - Prado, Royal Palace, Plaza Mayor are within walking distance of each other. The open top bus tour, at 16 euros, was terrible value for money - the headsets didn't work even though we tried them in 3 or 4 different seat backs, and for those that did, they weren't worth listening to. Great variety of restaurants and cafes and great coffee in "The and Cafe". Some stunning architecture.

Been to Madrid? Share your experiences!