“Unusual menu items...all delicious!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cornucopia

Cornucopia
C/ Navas de Tolosa, 9, 28013 Madrid, Spain (Centro)
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Book Online and Save Up to 30% *
Cornucopia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
*Some exclusions may apply.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,489 of 6,834 Restaurants in Madrid
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Centro
Ottawa, Canada
“Unusual menu items...all delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I are usually put off by restaurants with an ultra modern, simplistic look, but we were so drawn by the interesting items on the menu, that the 3 of us (a friend was with us) decided to go inside. We were glad we did, because the food was fabulous! Everything we had was not only delicious, but also not your everyday run-of-the-mill menu items: mushroom croquettes, goat cheese wrapped with “prosciutto” (Italian ham), Iberico tomato jam, tuna steak, grilled grouper with creamy almond sauce, pork stuffed with brie cheese and apricots, and chocolate torte with coulis. At the end of the meal, they offered us a liqueur at no charge. The service throughout the meal was excellent, and everyone who served our table was always smiling and very pleasant.

Our bill came out to 30 euros each (including wine), which we found high compared to most of the other restaurants we had been to during our 2 weeks in Spain, but nevertheless, definitely worth it. If we ever went back to Madrid, we would definitely go back to this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Victoria, Canada
“Excellent Food and Service in a Real Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We just returned from a great meal at Cornucopia. My wife had the croquettes to start - and they were delicious. They went very well with the grilled asparagus that I ordered to start, so we swapped a little back and forth.

My wife had the grilled chicken for a main course and it was very good and flavourful, as was my pork loin.

To finish I had the chocolate-almond torte - perhaps a little dry, and could have benefited from a reduction in the portion of cake and an increase in the volume of the orange sauce that accompanied it, but it was quite good.

The service was exemplary - friendly, professional, prompt and efficient. Wow, such a difference when the customer is treated like a human being. Well done. We were even offered a complimentary limoncello to finish.

All in all a wonderful meal only steps from our hotel that didn't need to rely on cheap fried tapas or the ubiquitous paella.

In terms of value, I felt the prices were fair given the quality of food on offer. €78 for 2 including a bottle of (quite wonderful) wine. Not much more than the bill for paella in Plaza Mayor last night, but much higher quality and attention to detail.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Santa Fe
“Just good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stumbled across this restaurant while in Madrid and had a very good dinner. All natural and fresh foods. A good place that did not seem touristy at all.

Visited January 2013
Laguna Hills, California
“We liked it enough that we went there twice (in 6 days)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We found some pretty good restaurants (and several "so-so") during our week in Madrid, but this was the best.

It's on a walking street, between Callao and Santo Domingo metro stops, amid lots of other restaurants. We got there early, and hungry, after a long flight from the states, and were happy to find that they would seat us at 8, when most places don't even open until 9, or 9:30. Good thing we were early, because they were turning people away by 9:30 (reserve at 915-213-896).

My wife is a vegetarian, who will eat some fish, and the sole was delicious. My steak was a little bit chewy, but it had good flavor, and everything else was very good. A bit pricey (113 Euros, with wine, for 3 people), but hey, we were tired and hungry.

After 4 more days of mainly average tapas and meals elsewhere, we returned for another dinner at Cornucopia. The sole was again to my wife's liking, and my salmon was quite tasty, but it was a little more cooked than I like (I prefer it "moist", but forgot to mention this - their default is "medium").

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leiden, The Netherlands
“Top level food, great restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Also found this place via TA. It's not tapas; it's a very nice restaurant with some great nouveau cuisine. Located in a quiet street just blocks away from Gran Via / Plaza Callao, it's very nice decorated with fine modern art. If I would have walked in in such a place in Amsterdam, London or Paris I would have turned around, knowing that it would cost dearly.
Not Cornucopia: aLthough the waiter couldn't speak a word English, we managed to order our 3 course dinner and it was fantastic food. As a starter some goat-cheese with ham, as a main the tenderloin with brie. Very tastefull, delicous food.
For two people, including a bottle of wine, we spend 70 euros on two 3-course dinners in a great atmosphere. When in Madrid, go to this restaurant.

Visited October 2012