“An Institution Not to Be Missed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Paco

Casa Paco
Puerta Cerrada 11, 28005 Madrid, Spain (Centro)
91-366-3166
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro
New York City, New York
“An Institution Not to Be Missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I discovered Casa Paco in 1962. Ever since it has been on my list of "musts" whenever I visit Madrid. When I arrived in Madrid in the second half of August 2013, the restaurant was, to my disappointment, closed for vacation. Fortunately, for me, it had reopened when I returned to Madrid in early September. On this occasion (my birthday) the food and service were as wonderful as ever. Casa Paco is an "institution" NOT TO BE MISSED when one visits Madrid.

• Visited September 2013

“Delicious and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Having had beautiful seafood throughout our trip we decided on a good steak for one of our meals.
So delighted to have found this place. Clearly long established and in a nice part of Madrid.
Meat was delicious. We didn't want the "kilo to share" as had been suggested in some reviews. I explained we wanted a medium sized steak each. The waiter was a joy. Gave us exactly what we wanted, sliced nicely to share. Cooked perfectly (medium rare).
Whole experience was great and possibly best steak I've ever eaten. (We were shown it on its way to the kitchen too, which I particularly liked!)
Delicious

• Visited July 2013
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Casa Paco”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We really want to write a good review for Casa Paco given our expectations of visiting again after a 40 year lapse. But sadly, it cannot be. We secured reservations for a Friday evening and contrary to the local norm ate early at 8:30 pm. Service was attentive and efficient. We deliberately ordered a standard can't go wrong fillet-salad-french fries. The salad and french fries were quite good. But the steak was entirely disappointing. We split one kilo as recommended, medium rare after some additional cooking on the plate. The concept--crisp outer layer and medium rare interior--was right on the mark. But the meat, at least the portion we received, was not of high quality. We have had steaks in the best steak houses in a dozen major cities and each was far superior to that piece of meat. We really did not even recognize the cut. Perhaps we ordered wrong or just by bad luck was served a steak in poor condition. We struck out and it pains us to write this as our expectations could not have been higher.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Delray Beach, Florida
“As good as it was in the 1950's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband ate at Casa Paco's in the late 50's with his first wife. Then again in the late 70's with family and friends followed again with a dinner in the 80's and for the last time in 2001 with me the new wife. I know he likes it. My husband is accustom to well prepared foods. The place always delivers and always is consistent. The meat is tender - cooked perfectly. The tiles on the walls are the same. The waiters have never been rude - maybe the travelers offended the waiters without knowing it. The last time we were there we returned for dinner again later in the same week and we were remembered. We explained that my husband had been there several times over the last 40 years and they took us on a tour of the restaurant - and gave us a restaurant plate to take home. The older waiters talked of the restaurant 30 years ago. Dinning there was a wonderful pleasure. It should not be missed. It is part of Madrid and talking of it makes me wish we could take a trip back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“delicious steak! rude waiter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were a little concerned after we sat down and saw that every other table had an orange Fodor's Spain book on it like we did (ut oh, is this a tourist trap??) but once we had our first bite of the steak our worries were wiped away! The beef is truly delicious! 1 kilo was definitely enough to share between 4 women after having started with a gazpacho and salad to share. PLEASE request the meal WITHOUT SALT, as they really pour it on in handfuls. Make a reservation!

• Visited May 2013