“Great Location and Great Price” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C Arenal 23, 1st Floor, 28013 Madrid, Spain (Centro)   |
Ranked #83 of 453 Hotels in Madrid
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Perth, Australia
“Great Location and Great Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I travelled to Madrid on my own for the first time this year and I stayed at the Hostal Oriente for 7 nights from 5 September. I picked this hostal because of all the helpful information I found on Tripadvisor, therefore, here I am to give something back.

I agree with all the positive remarks made by "Isenators". The price was very good.The whole place was very clean and smelt very nice. The shower was always hot. There is also a supermarket below ground level at a great department store called El Cortes de Ingles which is a very short walk from Hostal Oriente as you head towards Sol metro station. I didn't have a laptop so it was very convenient to have a computer I could use in the guests' lounge area.

All travellers have different needs. I was travelling in a fairly sad state of mind after the loss of 2 members of my family within 4 weeks of each other, so although the hotel had kindly chosen a room for me at the back, I needed to see and hear people. So I asked reception to be moved to a room at the front of the hostal and when a room became available, I did. Personally, the noise from the street did not stop me from sleeping because I was very tired by the end of the day, but of course, everyone is different.

The fact that the staff didn't speak English (one of the lovely cleaning ladies actually does speak English), was a bonus for me because I have been learning Spanish and it gave me a chance to practise it. In fact, I think they were all very patient with my lack of fluency.

If you are looking for a hotel with a gym or a restaurant, this is not for you. Otherwise, I would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone. I will certainly try to get a room there the next time I am in Madrid.

Room Tip: If you do not want to hear the noise from the streets, make sure you ask for rooms at the back. If...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at the Oriente from September 14-17, 2012 and literally booked it 2 weeks before leaving based solely on trip advisor reviews. I was travelling on my own (female) and the price was very good.

Rooms were very clean and I felt very safe. Are the rooms dated, the bed a little soft, the pillow a little weird, yes, but it is very clean. The locaiton is awesome and very easy to get to as the place is literally right in front of the Opera metro station (metro from airport- 5 Euros was easy and took about 45-50 mins total in busy times but didn't seem that long). You are a short 2 min walk from the Royal Palace, Sabatini gardens and Cathedral, and Plaza Mayor, Plaza Santa Ana, San Miguel market etc are al a 5-10 minute walk the other way. I also walked twice down to the Prado Museum and Retiro Park and that was only 20-30 minutes but with so much going on and so many shops and cafes/terraces it doesn't seem like a long walk.

I would recommend this place to anyone travelling on their own or in a couple that isn't looking for frills and extras and self sufficient when they travel. I would stay here again as you are so close to everything.

Cons: you can hear EVERYTHING through the walls, i was so tired and barely in my room this wasn't an issue at night, but walls are very thin. I had asked for an inner room and it was very quiet at night. Also, the staff do not speak any English, so while I was able to get checked in and set up with my key, if you need tips/suggestions etc, you are on your own.

Overall, good value for your money in Madrid and I would stay again.

Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at the Hostale Oriente... I was originally there for 5 days in November 2011 and liked it enough to return recently. I found the hotel to be an excellent value for the price. On both occasions, I had a double room overlooking the plaza (which I requested). The room was pleasant and scrupulously clean, the beds and pillows quite comfortable. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I found the water to be hot and the water pressure quite plentiful. The tub/shower was very small and the towels are not 4-star, but they were adequate. At 55€ a night, I wasn't expected The Ritz. The location is perfect - very near to everything, but not in the middle of the busiest areas, such as Peurta del Sol or Gran Via.

The place is a bit noisy, as walls are thin and there is also noise from the street from late-night partyers. But I think that is pretty normal for Madrid and I didn't find it too much of a bother.

There is a very reasonably priced place for breakfast just across the street called Viena Caprellanes. They offer a fantastic cafe con leche and crispy pan tostado with marmalade and butter for 2.14€ (in addition to some awesome looking pastries for about the same price). It was filled with locals every morning and the waitress remembered the fact that I preferred 'leche caliente'on the second day. I found it very charming and authentic place and a great way to start the day.

If you are looking for a comfortable, well-situated and reasonably priced stay in Madrid I definitely recommend Hostale Oriente.

Room Tip: The interior, single rooms are very small and a bit dark. The double rooms facing the plaza and Cal...
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My family of 3 stayed for 3 nights in a triple room from Sep 13-16, 2012. Decision was based on Tripadvisor reviews, proximity to rental car return office, and couple tour books' representation that a Spanish hostal is not really a hostel, but a hotel with basic services. We were disappointed with this property. It was the worst property in our 24 days Europe/Africa trip. It is located on Calle Arenal, a noisy pedistrian only street, with people partying until 6:00 am. The windows did not seal tightly as they were off centered. Curtains were thin which allowed street lights to penetrate through easily. Shower pressure was low and only trickle of water came out at times. Water temperature was luke warm. Towels were not absorbent.

This property is more like a hostel. If you do decide to stay here, be prepared with ear plugs, eye shades, and take showers early (when water pressure and water temperature seemed to be slightly better).

A better choice is a property near the Plaza Cibeles area. Banco de Espana metro stop, the Prado Musem, and the aerobus stop are all nearby. Madrid is a compact city. Most tourist attractions are within 5 to 15-20 minutes walking distance. We did not use the subway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Hostal Oriente is an old hostel that hasn’t been remodelled recently like the Bergatin or Alhambra Suites for example. The price is however reasonable and the establishment is clean.

The interior rooms are tiny, very hot and I wouldn’t recommend them. The exterior rooms that overlook the plaza have small balconies and nice views and are pleasant. The reception area is a little grim with no windows. The service is basic and the staff could be more charming. An important thing to remember is it's quite difficult to sleep here as the walls are very thin. You can hear everybody in the rooms next door. There is a lot of noise from the cleaners in the mornings and outside with people partying at night so sleep quality is not the best.

If you want a cheap place to stay that’s clean and central this doesn’t fare badly. However there are brand new or remodelled hostels closer to Puerta del Sol Square for the same price less that come with more up to date facilities and better service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed there in May for 3 days and was given one of the court looking rooms. Although the room was a bit dark and was not looking anywhere nice, I can say that it was spotless and good enough for a short city break.
The place itself is on the main street and very close to the metro station -not that you would need it, Madrid is such a small city- and the owner was very helpful whilst we were there. Lack of English, but hey it is Spain.
Will definitely recommend it as a cheap base for a city break.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a lovely little hostal just down the street from the Puerta del Sol with easy access to the metro and walking distance from many sites. The staff working the front desk is there 24 hours a day, so you never have to feel awkward about waking up someone when coming home from one of Madrid’s famous late nights. The single room was small, which is to be expected, but comfortable. There was too much perfume used in the cleaning process, but I soon figured out that this is kind of normal for Spain: they are obsessed with having things smell “nice.” The only real negative I found was that the walls are pretty thin: I could hear conversations from next door with almost perfect clarity. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Oriente Hostal? Share your experiences!