“Not what it seems... but did the job eventually.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Abalu Madrid Centro
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle del Pez, 19, 28004 Madrid, Spain   |
Ranked #327 of 458 hotels in Madrid
Perth, United Kingdom
“Not what it seems... but did the job eventually.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We arrived at 11.30pm on Thursday night. On entering the hotel, we were quite impressed. Check in was simple and straight forward. We were shown to a lift to get to our apartment, that's where our impression changed. The lift was tiny and dirty. We could barely fit the two of us and our hand luggage in. The room seemed ok - on first look! It was obviously a self catering room and the small seating area was visible with a curtain over the galley style kitchen. The bathroom was the size of a shoe box. I had to sit sideways on the toilet to fit in and I have no idea how my husband was going to fit in the shower (he's under 6 foot so that is saying something). We were greeted with two single beds and enough walking space around the bed to get to the other side.

As this trip was a surprise for my 30th birthday from my husband and he had paid quite a bit for the room (he was swayed to go for this hotel over others due to the misleading photos on their website), I asked for our room to be swapped. This was done with no hassle what so ever and we were transferred to an apartment around the corner. We were assured that this would not cost anymore as it was the same price as the room we had paid for… The new room had a living room/kitchen area, a separate bed and a Jacuzzi! So how that can be the same price as the shoe box we were first given, I’m not sure. Anyway, the new room was better apart from the toilet. This was still tiny with not much room to get in and out the sliding door but the French doors from the bedroom made it a little bit easier. There was also a projector screen in the bedroom but this cost an extra 10 euros a day to get the remote control!

We also had breakfast included in our deal. This was the worst breakfast I have ever seen and we only had it the first day we were there. On walking over to the main hotel, we entered the Beauty Bar to be given a small glass of orange juice and offered one of the items from a small list. We chose a croissant (thinking we would be given more than one item) and when they came they were burnt and we couldn’t eat them. This was very disappointing as I was expecting a little bit more to fill up on for my day of sightseeing. We didn’t have breakfast there again despite it being free. I would suggest saving your money.

All in all, the new room we stayed in was clean and served its purpose for our short stay in Madrid. I would consider staying here again if I it wasn’t so overpriced (for the basic room) and I certainly wouldn’t waste 6/8 euros a day on the breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Loved this hotel, really modern, cosy rooms with hi tech showers... The location is great, with a 5 minute walk to grand via which connects you to all the sites in madrid. There is a great cafe on the ground floor for guests which does low cost breakfasts. Rooms are modern and clean, the hotel has really friendly staff. The bars and cafes within a five minute walk are awesome.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I found probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in. Fantastic matress & pillow, the design is superb, after staying at this hotel you will lack of something in the rest, soul, this place has been made with real attention to details and design, luxurious of course but with human touch.

Well just praying for finding another one similar to this one in the rest of our holidays.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed in a Superior room which netted us an apartment ACROSS THE STREET from the hotel. While at first we were put off being across the street, the apartment itself was FANTASTIC. From great balconies to a great jacuzzi and even having two bedrooms, this was a great space. The room was 212. It was WAY more space than any couple would need and could sleep 3 couples without any crowding. The only downside of the stay was the front desk service wasn't too helpful for us. Being that we were in a separate building, we only needed them twice: check in and check out and neither time was memorable. They weren't very accommodating during check in and the night rep gave us misleading information about taxis for an early checkout. Other than that, we'd stay again - and definitely in the apartment side!

Room Tip: Ask for a superior! Get an apartment! They come with a kitchen
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed at Abalu in Madrid on two separate occasions. The rooms were clean, quiet and very comfortable. The service was magnificent. Antonio & Beatriz helped us with everything from where to catch the city's tour busses and metro to excellent restaurants within walking distance to booking a room in Segovia before we continued to the northern coast. We give this beautiful place our highest recommendation! (Didn't rate the breakfast or spa high or low because we didn't use them.)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We booked this hotel looking for a unique stay on our Madrid stopover. The check in, location and rooms where all good. The stay only turned bad when around 1am we heard the neighbours come home and then start talking. They followed this up with another hour of "intermate time", then finally at 3am they continued talking and laughing. None of this is a problem to me as they can do whatever they want in thier room, the fact that it kept us awake and we heard everysingle detail was not good. Ensure you to not get Room 109. Things turned very bad in the morning when we went to check out; 1, breakfast doesn't start till 9:30am! 2, the receptionist started dry-reaching during the check out process and then before they got to swipe my card, ran out from behind the desk and ran into the little ajoining cafe where they vomitted all over the floor and continued to vomit in the kitchen there. Once he returned to swap my card my partner joined me in the lobby and we left the hotel as he came back around to the cafe to clean up his mess. In one word the last couple of hours of our stay can be described as a "JOKE". Think again before booking here.

Room Tip: Don't choose 109. Ensure your room is soundproofed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed in one of the apartments/suites at this hotel and I couldn't have more positive words about it. The entire stay was positive and our favourite stay on our 3 week trip.

Location: This hotel is conveniently located and close to good nightlife, the metro (for easy transportation), minutes from Gran Via, and it's so lively at night. Some would say it's loud but I never found it obnoxious because if I'm in Madrid, I'm there to have a good time. Besides, once you closed those shutters, there was no sound/no light and it was phenomenal.

Suite: The interior decorations are gorgeous and so cute. The kitchen is perfect to use and comes with all the utensils already needed. The bathroom was very nice. The beds were so comfortable. For the time we spent in our apartment, it was perfect for what we needed.

Staff: The staff was incredible. Beatriz, Antonio, all of them were so helpful with our questions and helping us with anything we needed. If we called for something, we would have it in a moment's notice. If we needed directions, never failed to help. The amazing staff made this hotel even better than it was. Even offered us great advice about wifi. :)

I think the only downfall would be when we were on the balcony something was leaking from above (a/c?) but besides that, I loved this hotel. I would stay here again in a heartbeat and I would recommend it to everyone. Love, love, love this place!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Abalu Madrid Centro? Share your experiences!