“Great architecture” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 458 Hotels in Madrid
Brandon, Vermont
“Great architecture”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We were really looking forward to our stay here as the photos from Marriott's site looked stunning. Imagine our disappointment when our very spacious modern room faced a wall. A creatively painted wall I admit, but no natural light to speak of. Otherwise, our king room was large, quiet and well appointed. The bathroom was a stunner however be careful with the heavy glass doors if your roommate enters while you are exiting the toilet space: a collision is guaranteed. There is no clock or coffee maker. A complimentary continental breakfast was included. Beware: you get one cup of coffee with your repast and that's it. Our waiter went out of his way to keep his back to us when it looked as if we were going to ask for anything. This was a real turn off. It felt as if we were imposing and this seemed to be consistent with other guests who did not pay for breakfast. I would have gladly paid for more coffee if anyone had asked if we needed anything else. As fas as front desk service went it was the polar opposite: everyone we encountered went out of their way to be of help especially the bellman who located a place to have a watch battery replaced. Too bad the breakfast experience stained what was an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: For quiet, ask for the inner rooms. For sunlight, ask for a street view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Coto De Caza, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The old saying, location, location, location. If you stay in Madrid this us the place for comfort, service, convenience and charm. An old mansion converted into a 50 room hotel at a very reasonable price. No restaurant on the premises except the tapas style bar and breakfast room will delight. Gin & tonic cocktails are the rage in Madrid. Take it from. G& T snob those made by Jesus were the best ever! I'm a freak about how this cocktail should be made but this is it. Hendricks gin, Indian Tonic, fresh limes, with several fresh juniper berries floating and I was in heaven! Add a small selection of careful crafted tapas and you're there. We will stay here again with or without Marriott points. I'd give this hotel a 4.5 if I could.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights on a business trip. Hotel is in a beautiful building across the street from the Parque del Retiro, a fantastic location. Room was nice though a bit on the small side. Hotel is starting to show its age as some of the furniture is a bit frayed. Service at the front desk was outstanding. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

uxurious, upscale, independent boutique hotels define the Autograph Collection by Marriott. They are independent hotels located around the world, which promise to offer individuals a unique, customized experience. The historical AC Palacio Del Retiro lives up to the Autograph Collection demands, presenting a supreme location for exploring Madrid and a one of a kind historical hotel experience.

Located across the street from the famous Retiro Park, steps away from the Prado Museum and Gran Via, Madrid's hottest shopping street and borders the alternative neighbor of Chueca. One could never run out of ways to entertain themselves while staying at the Palacio Del Retiro. Not only is the location among the best in the city, but the hotel itself offers amenities and services to entertain all. From the minute you arrive, the friendly staff are at your service and will do everything to ensure your stay is pleasant.

My brother and I arrived in Madrid, tired from a long trip from the western United States. Instead of dealing with a hostel after a long flight, I reemed 90,000 Marriott Reward points for the ONLY 5 star hotel on Retiro Park in Madrid. Since the Palacio Del Retiro is part of the Autograph Collection, I thought 30,000 points a night wasn't a bad deal at all! Not to mention, it would be my brothers first time staying in a 5 star hotel! So I figured, why not start the trip off with a bang!

We arrived very tired, but in great moods. Once we entered the hotel the receptionists were friendly, greeted us in Spanish, but right after I asked, "Hablas ingles?," she instantly transitioned to English. At the time of checking in, the reservation system was not working, but they took my word on everything that I claimed without any questions asked. I explained I had booked a room for 3 nights with two beds, using rewards points and that I was a Marriott Platinum elite member. We joked about how I could have just made everything up, but of course this was not the case. After a quick passport check and copying our information, we were provided with keys to our room, a voucher for the internet, a complimentary breakfast, and informed our welcome gift would be delivered shortly. The welcome gift is provided to all Platinum Elite members and in this case was two bottles of water and mini cheesecakes. Minutes later we were escorted to our room by the same receptionist who checked us in.

Our room was small but magnificent. Large French oak doors from the hallway opened into our room, using a key that appeared to be from 1900! Although the room was small, it was extremely comfortable, offering two single beds pushed together, a desk, a wardrobe, safe, and a large bathroom with an oversize soaking tub, standalone shower, double sinks, and a separate stall for the toilet. The room gleamed with originality, offering original features from when the building was built in 1908. The beds were also extremely comfortable and after a long trip across the Atlantic, it provided for a great sleeping surface!

The hotel offers a mini bar/lounge in the lobby although despite its mood lighting and unique feel, I never once saw a soul inside. The hotel did not seem very busy while visiting. Even at breakfast time, I never spotted more than 2 or 3 people in the café. Breakfast is served in a lounge/café area open to all guests and no concierge lounge is available for Marriott Elite guests. Instead, a complimentary continental breakfast is offered which includes 3 mini croissants, one of which was chocolate. Breakfast also included orange juice, coffee, fruit salad, and toast with jam. Marriott Elite guests can upgrade to the full service breakfast for an additional 12 euro which includes cook to order eggs and an array of other breakfast delicacy.

Finally, the hotel has a spa on site which is open to all guests. Down the spiral staircase to the basement is a large Jacuzzi, dry sauna, and heated lounge chairs. Smooth jazz music plays in the background and makes this small day spa a great place to relax after a long day wandering Madrid or after a business meeting. Access to the spa is free to all guests.

Overall this hotel is a true beauty from the grand marble staircase to the one of a kind artwork located throughout the hotel. This hotel offers a unique experience in a fantastic location for exploring Madrid! I would warn travelers though that the lobby is not open 24 hours and if you plan on returning after a late night out on the town, you may find yourself locked out. This happened to my brother and I. On a Thursday night/Friday morning around 4am, we found ourselves stuck outside for more than 30 minutes, while we rang the buzzer and called the hotel trying to get back in. It appeared as though the night security watch man had fallen asleep in the backroom! Otherwise, this hotel is truly distinctive, and worth a visit!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My friend and I went for a girls' week in Spain and this was the perfect hotel in Madrid. The staff was extremely helpful and kind, the rooms are very big for Europe, extremely clean, design is fantastic, we were able to walk everywhere and the neighborhood was very safe. We both travel a lot for work and I would say this is one of the best hotels I've stayed at internationally.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Nassau, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is right by parque del retiro, puerta del alcalá and calle Serrano (great shopping area) Rooms are all different, immaculate and very spacious. The staff is phenomenal; friendly, courteous, helpful and knowledgable!! Would definitely return here!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I spent 4 nights recently in this hotel at US$331/night. We were given a dark room in what originally was the attic with two very small round windows close to the high ceiling with no possibility to look out. I would define this a substandard room. Being a Marriott Platinum members we had free continental breakfast but when my husband went to the buffet to take cold cereals, we were informed that the free breakfast consisted of toast, orange juice, a small serving of fruit and coffee. Adding cereal would cost an additional $18, special price for Marriott members. In addition, the person at the checkin was unfriendly and when I pointed out that I was a Marriott Elite member, his answer was that they were Autograph Collection and their only obbligation was to give free breakfast and nothing else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to AC Palacio del Retiro, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!