“Perfect pork!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Perfect pork!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I booked here based on reviews I'd read on trip advisor and even though it's not in the main tourist area it's well worth seeking out. Our waitress Juliette was very helpful and advised on the number of dishes we should order which stopped us ordering too much as the portions are large. For main we had the secret cut of pork and it was amazing, we'd never tasted anything like it, it just melted in the mouth. There was a good wine list and it was reasonably priced. The service was very friendly and they really helped us out by speaking English. This was the best meal we ate while we were in Madrid.

Visited April 2013

Peebles, United Kingdom
“A Great Night Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We enjoyed our meal here so much we are booked to go back tonight. A friendly & attentive owner/manager supported by young, friendly & knowledgeable staff. It was the first restaurant I have been to where the staff recommend half portions, but they were right the half portions were still generous & really delicious. I took one contributor's recommendation & had the eggs with the chorizo meat - really simple but delicious. We also enjoyed the medallions of pork loin with caramelised onions & Brie. We even shared the dessert - unlike many places it was big enough to share. We ordered wine by the glass, which was topped up but we were only charged for one glass each. They certainly know how to treat customers & were obviously very popular with locals of all ages. I was glad we had booked as it was full, both upstairs & down.

The bill was a surprise as it was really reasonable for such quality. Because we had half portions we only paid 33 euros in all - the portion prices were reduced but just a little over half the full price, so excellent value. We are now looking forward to tonight's meal & to trying something completely different, but I'm sure equally delicious.

Cologne, Germany
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This restaurant is not in a touristy area, but is very easy to find. The portions are huge, so definitely share and get half portions. The grilled foie gras is scrumptious. It melts in your mouth. I am not a foie gras fan, but I would happily eat this everyday. Service was great, very helpful and attentive. We received digestifs after dinner and the rest of an open bottle of wine on the house. Great evening!

• Visited March 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Absolutely perfect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The staff were absolutely fantastic, I don't think I have ever had such attentive service. They have two sittings, one at 9pm and one at 11pm, it is definitely worth booking as it is very popular (rightly so). The waiter was so helpful with the menu (which was available in English if needed), and made suggestions...one of which was cheese stuffed zucchini flowers which were lovely. All the food is beautifully presented. The waited kept filling our wine glasses, but we were only charged for one glass. I cannot recommend this place highly enough, it was absolutely perfect. It was excellent value, too. We left feeling as though we were the most valued customers that had ever been to the restaurant, and the food was wonderful.

Atlanta, Georgia
“A Very Memorable Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I had a one night layover in Madrid and went to Alcaravea Gaztambide because of all the great reviews on Trip Advisor. My entire experience was fantastic...even better than I expected.

I got there a little early (around 7:45), but Imad, Alcaravea Gaztambide's bartender, was very friendly. He poured me a glass of wine while I waited for the restaurant to open at 8:00. Once it opened I just asked for Imad's recommendations for everything and had some of the best food and wine I've ever had. I know a lot of people have already mentioned the octopus below...but it was out of this world. Get it.

The food and wine portions were very generous and the bill was surprisingly small. The staff was extremely friendly ( they didn't even mind that I speak almost no Spanish). It was a great experience and made my one night in Madrid extremely memorable.

In October my fiance and I plan to spend some of our honeymoon in Madrid and we will definitely be going to Alcaravea Gaztambide (multiple times if I am deciding).