“Thanks for a great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Barrera

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madrid
Hostal Barrera
You added Hostal Barrera to your Saves list
Calle Atocha 96, 2 planta, 28012 Madrid, Spain   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #29 of 457 Hotels in Madrid
Geelong, Australia
“Thanks for a great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We have just completed a four night stay at Hostal Barrera and can only support the other excellent reviews. From the street, the hostal is the same as any other, but inside it's something special.

From the moment of our arrival until our departure we were met with very friendly, accommodating service. When we asked for a dinner recommendation, the lady at the desk (which is manned 24 hours) checked that her suggestion was open and made a reservation for us without a moments hesitation.

With regards to earlier reviews that suggest it is an inconvenience to have to ring the bell to get in, we did not find this troublesome at all. In fact, the feeling was very safe and secure.

The room was impeccable and one of the cleanest we've stayed in. The rooms are well decorated and cosy, but with plenty of room. The bathrooms are lovely and feel very modern yet tasteful.

The location is ideal, especially if you are arriving or departing from Atocha train station, the main renfe station in Madrid. The express airport bus also leaves from there and takes around 40 minutes depending on what terminal.

It is walking distance to the La Latina district for great Tapas, and around a 15 minute walk to the Plaza Mayor. The hills are not that steep, even up from Atocha station. This walk was about 10 minutes with packs on.

Highly recommended.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nieves M, Gerente at Hostal Barrera, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Laurav1319,

We are really happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to Madrid and found our hostal special.

Really thank you for your words, we really appreciate them. All of us are happy to welcome our guests and help them to have a good time in Madrid, and try to offer the best we have in our small, and cosy hostal.

Enjoy your time and hope we can accomodate you in the future again.

Warm regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is the perfect place to stay in Madrid.

I spent four nights in this hostal. I had booked a twin room but we were given a room with three beds. The room was not particularly big, but it was simple and nice, clean and comfortable. We had everything we needed (no hair dryer in the room, but we had brought our own). The beds were good, the bathroom was good, the wifi was good, and there was a computer in the common area for guests’ use.

The location is absolutely perfect. We got to the three big musuems (Prado, Reina Sofia and Thyssen Bornemisza) and the Atocha train station on foot. And the Anton Martin subway station was like five minutes away. We actually walked to Sol, and it was easy. Nearby there were many places to eat. We got tasty and reasonably priced pizza and pasta from the little shop “Ricotta” across the road, and had breakfast and dinner at bars and restaurants along Calle Atocha.

I made the booking almost three months in advance and for what we paid I was very very happy with the room.

The only thing that I found slightly inconvenient was that we were not given a key to the hostal so everytime we returned we had to ring the doorbell and someone would open the door for us. I don’t like troubling other people so we kept getting in/out of the hostal to the minimum.

I am sure I will try to book a room in this hostal next time I return to Madrid.

Tip 1 - The hostal is located between the Anton Martin subway station and the Atocha railway/subway stations. If you have luggage with you, use Anton Martin to get to the hostal as the road goes downhill. If you use Atocha, you will have to go uphill and it is not as easy.

Tip 2 - Guests are not allowed to wash their clothes in their rooms. The hostal can help wash the clothes and the prices, IIRC, are very reasonable.

Tip 3 - The three major museums can be visited for free (Prado and Reina Sofia during the last two hours before closing every day, and Thyssen Bornesmisza on Monday afternoon, IIRC).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nieves M, Gerente at Hostal Barrera, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear skyskylee,

Thank you for your detailed comment about our hostal, we are really glad you shared your experience and happy to know you liked your room, beds confortable, the wi-fi, location of the hostal, neighbourhood....

Our policy with the keys has to do with security, and, for us it is not a trouble you get in / out all you need.

Thank you for the tips. In our website we recomend , if you get by metro, to get off in Anton Martin, but if you get by bus or train from the airport, you get to Atocha so you have to walk up the hill . You can get a bus ( number 26,6 or 32 ) to get to the hostal, but it is just a 10 minutes walk.

And yes, all our guests will find information in our rooms about our services with the rates, some information about some rules we have and so on..

Once again thank you and regards from all the staff. Hope to accomodate you again.
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

This will be short because I don't want to repeat all the good things most people say. My wife and I spent 9 nights in September. Good sized, attractive rooms. Location, safety, both excellent. Exceptional service. The manager Miss Nieves dissuaded me from eating Caldo a la Madrileña before I went to bed. Thank God!
If I were to return to Madrid with a million bucks in my pocket I would still stay at the Hostal Barrera.
And by the way, Madrid is truly a great city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Nieves M, Gerente at Hostal Barrera, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear ABQrich,

Thank you for your wonderfull words, and share your experience about our hostal.

Jajajaja, Caldo a la Madrileña is Cocido Madrileño, and yes, from my point of view it is not a good idea to have it for dinner, too much fat . This a typical dish we have sundays for lunch, specially in winter !!!

We will be the ones happy to accomodate you in the future, and having again nice conversations. My regards to your wife !!!

Best from all the people at Hostal Barrera
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

In September I travelled to Costa del Sol via Madrid and as I was only there for two nights wanted to get accommodation that wasn't overly expensive in a good location. Based on previous reviews of Hostel Barrera I chose to stay here and I was not disappointed. I travelled by bus from the airport to Atocha Station and after finding my bearings Hostel Barrera was very easy to find, up a small hill. The room was very clean (although basic) and well decorated. The bathroom although small was very functional. The room was just down the hall from the reception. The only issue was noise related (other guests coming and going at late hours ~ the access door slammed). The concierge (I think I met three different ones) were all lovely and helpful. There is a little cafe/bakery (heading towards Plaza Major) where you can find breakfast (croissant and coffee) for about $3 to start your day! If you are looking for a reasonably priced accommodation in Madrid, which is walking distance to all the tourist attractions then choose this one!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nieves M, Gerente at Hostal Barrera, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear guest,

Nice to hear you enjoyed your time in Madrid, and thank you for sharing your experience at Hostal Barrera with other travelers.

As you point out, our location is very convenient to visit the city by foot, as we are really close to major attractions, and easy to find places for brakfast, luch or dinner.

We work to keep the rooms updated , clean and functional so you feel confortable. And the people at the reception desk is happy to hear about your words.

Warm regards from all satff at Hostal Barrera
Southport UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Myself & husband recently spent a long weekend at Hostal Barrera whilst visiting our daughter. I researched a lot of accommodation in Lavapies and chose this Hostel because of all the positive reviews. We were not disappointed. Firstly, getting there from the airport was so simple, like other reviewers we jumped on the 'yellow' airport express bus outside of the terminal which runs every 15 mins, it took just half an hour at 5pm on a Saturday evening to get to Atocha Station which is the 3rd and last stop. It is then just a 10 min walk to the Hostel. The bus costs 5euro per person. Prior to reading about the Hostels in Spain my understanding of Hostels in general was of rooms with numerous beds shared by numerous back packers all sharing the one bathroom. How wrong I was, so, for any other misinformed, naïve people like me, I can confirm that Hostal Barrera is basically like a British Guest House but without the food. There is a reception area, a laundry room and bedrooms, each with en-suite and all on the second floor of a very secure building. The bedrooms are spacious and spotlessly clean with a large double bed (or twin), bedside tables, desk, 2 chairs, TV, built in robe, a double glazed window with shutters and an equally clean and very new looking en-suite with WC, corner shower & vanity unit. The hosts are incredibly helpful and friendly, speak excellent English and are on hand 24/7. The Hostel is in a great spot for exploring either on foot or by using the metro which is very reasonably priced. The journeys we took ranged from 1.50 euro to 2.50 euro. There are plenty of places to eat within a few minutes walk but do check the prices before buying. Prices vary massively from restaurant to restaurant yet the menu and food quality are the same. We found a great place for breakfast was the bakery a few doors down the hill from the Hostel where you can get fresh coffee & pastries and relax in the little café at the rear of the shop to eat and drink what you have purchased. A great place for a drink and a snack during the day or early evening is the Roxy café across the road heading down hill. You can get a large club sandwich for 4.50 euro. Nearly all places to eat will have a surcharge for eating outside on the terrace, even if it is just on the roadside, approx 10%. Lavapies is a bustling place and is alive 24/7 so traffic will be running through the city all night although it does get much quieter in the very early hours, so, if you are a light sleeper I would request a room at the back of the hotel. Although the double glazed window & shutter keeps out an incredible amount of the noise you do have to appreciate this is a major city which never sleeps and if you are there on a Saturday night which is by far the liveliest and longest night, and you are a light sleeper then take some earplugs!. I would definitely recommend this accommodation for it's cleanliness, comfort and wonderful staff as well as being in an excellent position to explore and very reasonable priced. The only thing I would request and would be a massive plus is if there were tea/coffee making facilities in the room but that's just a personal preference.

Room Tip: Room 201/202 are at the end of the corridor so no one need walk passed and disturb you and are furth...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nieves M, Gerente at Hostal Barrera, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear PamGsTravels,

Thank you very much for your review, you are extremly descriptive about our rooms and we are so happy about that, really appreciatte it, we are gratefull for sharing your experince at Hostal Barrera.

I agree with you, the Aiport Bus is cheap and fast, you get to the city enter in 30-45 minutes, and besides you get a first view of Madrid. Also an amazing city , as you say, alive 24/7.

And yes, you will find many places to eat nearby, different prices, food, styles,... but most of them good quality
All the staff thank you for your words, all of them are happy to know you enjoyed the city , and their work helped you.

We will consider your suggestion about having tea / coffe facilities, the feedback will help us to improve our services and we are pleased to hear abou it.

Best regards and hope to accomodate you next time.
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The previous reviewer's experiences were much the same as mine. I also took the airport shuttle bus, and walked from Atocha. Certainly an inexpensive way to arrive! At 7:00 in the morning, it was easy to get a bit disoriented, but I soon found Calle Atocha and the hotel. I was buzzed into the clean marble hallway, the lights showing the way to the second floor, and was able to do the check-in process, and leave my bags with them, though it was way too early for my room to be ready.
Coming back a few hours later, I was shown to my lovely room. Because the prices are so reasonable, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was very pleased. The room was good sized, very clean, bright, and comfortable, with a desk, full sized closet, good bed and pillow, and great bathroom. The Wifi was good. My window overlooked the street, but I didn't notice that noise was a problem, although this is a busy street.
The people at the desk were very friendly and accommodating. You give them your room key when leaving, and are buzzed in again upon return. When I left, the lovely lady with the English accent (sorry I didn't get her name) helped me with my bags out onto the street.
I wish that I had had more time here, but I was leaving for Seville the next morning. I found that the location is perfect, especially if you are coming or going from the train station. It's great to be able to walk---just know that it is up a bit of a hill, if that would be a problem with your luggage. It is a great area for going to the museums---especially close to the Reina Sofia, and up Paseo del Prado to the Prado.
I would definitely stay here again if I return to Madrid---and I hope to do that!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Nieves M, Gerente at Hostal Barrera, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Nancy,

FIrst of all I really thank you for these nice words . We all at the hostal appreciate them.

We are happy to know you liked the room , and found it confortable, bed and pillows,..... Certainly we are really close to the major musuems in town and yes, I think it is a privilege to walk to main attractions in town.

Thank you for your compliments , this will encourage us to keep on improving .

Best regards and hope to accomodate you in the future.
Nottinghamshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

After seeing all the positive reviews on TA we booked here and were not disappointed. We were able to have an easy email exchange to get details of how to get from the airport - the airport express arrives at the side of Atocha station taking about 45 mins. Walk to the front of the station and cross the big road up Calle de Atocha.Only 10 min walk to Hostal Barrera. Press the bell and you enter the marble hall with automatic lights going upstairs with lights showing the way - the door was always opened for our arrival , a nice touch
Immediate impressions are very good - everywhere very very clean. Francesca and Nieves always welcoming and guide you to the places to eat and visit - including the secrets that allow free access to museums.
Our room was at the back away from Calle de Atocha - we appreciated this as it was a little quieter. Anyway the air conditioning means the windows are closed at night.
OK so they do not do breakfast - this was an advantage for us as it helped us explore the the many eateries near by - with a different recommendation each day.
The location is ideal as just about everywhere is in walking distance - we wanted to visit the Bernabeu one day and went by cheap local bus
We would go to Hostal Barrera again in a snap

Room Tip: ASk fora room away from the busy main road
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nieves M, Gerente at Hostal Barrera, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear fpg,

Thank you for the time you spent writting about your experience at our hostal and Madrid .

We are really happy you were not desappoited and fullfilled your expectations . Besides, grateful to hear you liked the room, and enjoyed our recomendations .

We will be very happy if you are our guests in the future and stay with us again.

Warm regards.

Been to Hostal Barrera? Share your experiences!