“Again and again and again ...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Barrera

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madrid
Hostal Barrera
You added Hostal Barrera to your Saves list
Calle Atocha 96, 2 planta, 28012 Madrid, Spain   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #29 of 459 Hotels in Madrid
Nerja, Spain
“Again and again and again ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We first stayed at the Barrera in 2007 (which I then reviewed) and return there every time we visit Madrid - including this past week. I like everything about it: its location (walking distance to Sol and Atocha), the rooms (they´ve been renovated since our first trip), but most of all the lovely staff. They are the kindest hoteliers I´ve met, and I will never hesitate to recommend the Barrera. It´s great value for the money, and the staff treat you like family.

How lovely is that?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Every single staff in this hostel was amazingly friendly - even the older gentlemen who had the night reception shift and spoke no word of English :)
The whole place was neat. Room was cozy and had all you need - cute bathroom, free wi-fi, storage, TV, air conditioning. Towels are provided, hair drier can be borrowed at the reception. Available laundry service.

Great position - a few steps to the night life, to the train station, to park Retiro, museums.

I will for sure be coming back!

Room Tip: I had single room 204 at the back side and it was perfect
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Rothesay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We found this hostal to be an excellent place to stay. The location was great. Near the Anton Martin metro stop. The staff was very efficient and helpful. We were very near to a lot of sites we visited. Prado, botanical gardens etc.

The shower was a little small but good water pressure and hot water. The room was excellent and comfortable. I would recommend this place to anyone.
Check in was very easy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Loved staying at Hostal Barrera! The rooms are fabulous-- clean and bright with simple and colorful Ikea decor. Lovely, clean, and spacious bathrooms. Fast and reliable wi-fi in all rooms. Located on Calle Atocha with easy access to all Madrid hot spots as well as the train station and Metro stations. Tons of neat restaurants nearby and a quick walk to Parque Del Buen Retiro, which is a great place to hang out and enjoy the green space. The staff at Hostal Barrera were so hospitable and friendly! They were very helpful as well to answer questions about trains, where to go, what to do. Even offered to make me tea when I got really sick with food poisoning during my stay. I was in Madrid for a week and stayed at Hostal Barrera for 2 nights with a friend, and once my friend left I re-located to a different hostal that had a cheaper rate for an individual room. The other place was so terrible that I came back to Hostal Barrera first thing the next morning and re-booked with them for that night. I will glady pay an extra few euros for the comfort and hospitality offered at Hostal Barrera!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This 2-star hostel felt like a 3-star hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were comfortable and very clean. We were 2 mins from Atocha train station and close to pretty much everything. Probably one of the best 'hostels' I've stayed at. Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed here two nights in July 2011. The room was very clean, the lady at the desk was helpful and was even able to check us in early. We were able to walk almost everywhere. The Atocha Train Station, the Prado, the Reina Sofia. Great place to stay at a great price! Highly reccommend.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I am a freelance international travelwriter traveling at my own expense who has traveled in over 60 countries on 6 continents. My 2 buddies & I recently stayed in the fantastic Hotel Barrera in Central Madrid, Spain for 3 nights. This was the finest Hostal (it's NOT a hostel) I have ever stayed in! The location is outstanding on Calle Atocha midway between the main train station and the Puerta del Sol situated in Barrio de las Letras. EVERYTHING was within walking distance to include the popular Plaza Santa Ana, Plaza Major, Pueta del Sol, the Prado, Reina Sofia, Barrio La Latina etc. You couldn't find a better central location in Madrid! The Hostal is spotless and was recently renovated and extremely economical for lodging in central Madrid. The owner is a very nice lady Nieves Mollo and I enjoyed meeting her. One of the nicest things (actually THE nicest thing about our stay) was the OUTSTANDING attention and service provided to us by their best employee Josefa Fernandez. She is a very intelligent woman with a bundle of invaluable information about anything to do with Madrid (tapas bars, bars, cafes, restaurants, teatros, tours etc)! She went above and beyond the call of duty. I'm sure Nieves is extremely happy to have a person such as Josefa in her employ. Although the room was a little small for 3 men, it worked out fine. It normally has 2 single beds but they provided us with a rollout for the 3 person. Our room was in the rear of the building, very quiet, with ensuite bathroom. I suggested to Nieves having a small kitchen for the guest's use would be nice but I don't believe she is looking to attract guests that would want a kitchen. Josefa was so kind as to store our bottles of wine in a small fridge in their laundry room. She actually joined me for just a small sip of our wine one early evening. Nieves would probably approve in the best interest of customer care! Josefa is the BEST!!! The hostal has free internet, wifi, washer/dryer and the small fridge. I would not hesitate to recommend Hostal Barrera to anyone, even those looking for a more expensive hotel! The price is right! Como no!?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hostal Barrera? Share your experiences!