“Great Value, Good Location, Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Plaza Mayor
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Atocha, 2, 28012 Madrid, Spain (Centro)   |
Ranked #152 of 458 Hotels in Madrid
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Value, Good Location, Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

I stayed here based on recommendation from a relative who had stayed here before. I had a single room and stayed for 5 nights.

This hotel is awesome, great price for what it offers. My single room is clean and of a decent size. It even has a full-size bed (rather than small twin bed I'm used to in single rooms). Bathroom is modern but shower stall only. It has high ceiling which makes the room feels more spacious.

I was a bit concerned when I booked my room because it was listed as "Single Smoking Room." But when I arrived, I realized the hotel now is completely smoke-free (they probably haven't changed their website) and I didn't detect any smell of cigarette smoke in my room.

There is an in-room safe, however, you have to rent a "part" from the front desk for €1,20/night in order to get the safe to work. For such a small fee, why don't they just give it for free?

There is a computer terminal in the lobby for internet access for a fee. But one can get on the net for free at the nearby tourist office at Plaza Mayor (you'll have to go early to avoid waiting in line).

I had breakfast there 3 times. Breakfast is €7,50 and I think it's a fair price. The spread includes cold cuts, breads, fruits, cheese, tomatoes, cereals, yogurt, hot food (scrambled eggs and bacon), juices, tea/coffee.

My room faces the inner "courtyard". It is very dark because it's on the first floor. There is no noise to speak of except for hallway noise when other guests walk by.

I have met at least 5 front desk people during my stay. Every single one of them is young and very friendly/helpful. They are always smiling. Even the lady who is responsible for breakfast buffet is smiling every morning I see her. Julia, who mans the desk from 3p-11p, made a dinner reservation at Casa Lucio for me by calling the restaurant many times (the line stayed busy for a while). Julia is quite a hoot.

The location of the hotel is great. Within easy walking distance to the Royal Palace and to Plaza Santa Ana, and to Cava Baja. I'm pretty sure it's an easy stroll to the museums but I took the Metro instead. 3 Metro lines stop at Sol, including Line 1 which goes to Atocha and Chamartin train stations. The only challenge was going to the airport as it involves changing twice.

If you are arriving the hotel via the Metro Sol station, you'll need to exit via the "C/Mayor" exit. When you come up the stairs, you'll face a building in front of you. What you want is going down the street (c/Mayor) on the left side of the building, then cross the street and take the first Left (c/Esparteros). It is a small incline up and the hotel is right in front of you.

If you are at Plaza Mayor and forgot which direction the hotel is (from too much wine and beer), just look at the statue in the middle of the Plaza. Follow the direction of the R hand of the statue and that's where the hotel is (this helped me a few times when I got disoriented in Plaza Mayor).

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there, and being there for 5 nights is quite a long time. I think €60 is a bargain to be in central Madrid. I would definitely stay there again in the future.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Hallway noise, especially if guests return late at night
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2008

Stayed here our first 2 nights in Spain. The hotel is very close to the Plaza Mayor (which you could probably guess from the title). Staff was very friendly and hotel offered a good breakfast in the morining. The room was small yet clean. Great view of the street scene from our room. Internet access is available from the lobby to help keep in touch.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Size of the room
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
HONG KONG
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

Thanks to hotel's straight access from Atocha station, we easily reached with our trollies just in 15 minutes on foot. The front desk staff spoke a good English. Any tips on Madrid or train to Toledo? Just ask them. You will find them very helpful.
Our room was efficiently designed & equipped with modern furniture, very clean & cosy. The bathroom was spacious.
We appreciate the previous reviews.

If you want to taste an authentic Spanish breakfast, try "Maestro Churros", located one block away the hotel toward Atocha station.

• Liked — Location, Staff, Room
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

We stayed at the plaza mayor hotel for 3 nights in February. We booked it through the hotel web site direct. The hotel is 5 minutes walk from Sol metro station and you can see Plaza Mayor from the hotel through an archway.

The hotel was very clean and the bedrooms were perfect. They were cleaned every day and we had a corner room with a view over the square. We had no problems with any noise from the street. The staff were very helpful and spoke very good english.

We didn't try the breakfast, we preferred to be out & about soaking up the madrid atmosphere.

I would highly recommend anyone to stay at this hotel, for the money it can't be beaten. We paid about €100/night including taxes.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Notts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

I stayed at the Plaza Mayor weekend 8 - 10 Feb 2008. It is very central, very near the Placa Mayor and within easy reach of all attractions and nightlife. It is OK, not the great find I thought from other reviews, I have stayed in better and worse. It is just on the money for value, not cheap and not expensive either. However, recent refurbishment has left it a noisey hotel; doors slam, showers are heared and even quiet conversation carries. This is OK if you join in the very late night life in the surroundings but not if you need to sleep.

If you arrive via the airport take the metro to Sol and it is less than 5 mins walk to the hotel.

Breakfast is on offer for E7.50 but better value can be found in local cafes.

hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and I suppose thats endorsement enough but I cannot enthuse enough about the value for money this hotel is.
The rooms are adequate in size with good size bathrooms. They are smart and tastefully decorated.
Location wise it is perfect. Situated just outside Plaza Mayor it is handy for Puerta del Sol and the rest of Madrid's attractions. The staff are extremely helpful and all this for 80euros a night.
Fantastic.

• Liked — Value for money.
  • Disliked — No minibar
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with 6 of my mates. It fulfilled all our needs. Great price, excellent location, friendly staff. Only thing that might be negative for light sleepers is the thin walls. Did not bother us, but I know that someone was bothered by us. So sorry to all of you staying there between 18th and 21th of january:) One thing I need to say if you plan to stay there. Even though you are very hungry, do not eat at the casa carmen just down the street. Looks great, priced like it is excellent, but do not get fooled. Raw salmon, cold lasagna etc.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing I can think of
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Plaza Mayor? Share your experiences!