“Average airport hotel, a bit outdated and dowdy” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Auditorium Madrid
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida de Aragon 400, 28022 Madrid, Spain (San Blas)   |
Ranked #228 of 457 hotels in Madrid
Miami, FL
“Average airport hotel, a bit outdated and dowdy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

As another reviewer pointed out, the hotel is a bit outdated and the rooms smell "funky". I couldn’t agree more, which is I left very early, I couldn’t stand being in the room anymore. The A/C took about 8 hours to start working, the rooms were large but gloomy. I was booked in the farthest block (4), which feels abandoned, gloomy and grim. Other people who were staying in the hotel complained about the same things and had the same issues I did.

Front desk was not very courteous, felt that they had a bit of an attitude.

Location is good for it being close to the airport and the free shuttle. Otherwise, you are about 20-30 minutes from the center of Madrid.

Hopefully with the upcoming renovations and a little in-house staff training the hotel can live up to its 4 stars.

Room Tip: Block 4 is the farthest one, feels abandoned, try to ask for a closer block.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel A, Social Media Marketing at Hotel Auditorium Madrid, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear client, first of all we are sorry about the smell in the rooms and the A/C, next time please we suggest you call the reception and ask for a new room ;)
It's a shame you felt gloomy and abandoned because of staying in the 4th block, it is farther than the other 3 but it has exactly the same characteristics as the others. We have already informed the reception about what you pointed out and we hope it won't happen again.
Thank you for your comments.

733 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
Belsele, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was in this hotel for a Technical conference close-by, and enjoyed it from beginning to end. They have a great airport shuttle which passes by all airport terminals, bringing you to the hotel in 20min. (I even used it to get to the airport and take a metro to city center from there, as no metro station is close to the hotel itself...)

Reception personnel was super friendly, doing their best to deliver great service. And they did!!

Hotel is made of different building blocks, very spacious and modern. Large bar who serves hamburgers, spanish tapas and good drinks. The hotel also has a cocktail bar with lovely terrace, as well as a lounge bar (which was closed when I was there, so can't tell about it).

Rooms where VERY spacious, modern, elegant furniture; spacious bathroom with bathtub and shower, more than excellent. Room has flatscreen tv, fridge, sofa,... Nespresso coffee-maker,...

On top of this, I can add the great service from bartender Antonio and event manager Alicia. (they helped me in organizing a party during my stay... and did a more than excellent job!)

Somewhat less positive is the location, as it is near to the highway, needing another 25 min by taxi to get into the city center. But as I said in the beginning of this review, I was there for a conference, which was only a 15min drive.

If I ever need to stay in Madrid again (for conference or vacation), I would certainly go to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Based on feedback from other guests, I'm sure all rooms are quite equal and of the same quality
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hotel A, Social Media Marketing at Hotel Auditorium Madrid, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear client, thank you so much for your time writing the review of Hotel Auditorium Madrid. We are so glad you had such a great experience with us. We are happy you could use our services to visit Madrid. It's really good the reception staff was helpful and friendly :) and that you liked the rooms.
We have sent your comments to Alicia and Antonio's directors so this can take into account.
Thank you again and we hope to see you back around soon.

Kindest regards! ;)
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

very nice hotel, although at times the breakfast room was a bit crowded and it was not Always clear to understand where to sit.
plenty of options for a quick bite
nice inside and outside bar, especially the waiter Antonio!
big, decent rooms with good wifi and a roomy bathroom
nice and big storage as well as mini-bar
plenty of in-room information about the facilities
I would go back here when in Madrid!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hotel A, Social Media Marketing at Hotel Auditorium Madrid, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear cilent, we really appreciate you took the time to write the post about your stay with us. We are glad you liked the buffet as well as the bar and waiters. Also happy you liked the rooms.
Hope to see you back soon.

Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Not recommended.

Hotel Auditorium is a very large hotel near Barajas airport. I think the top reason to stay in such a hotel should be the attentiveness of the staff and ability to get to the airport in a timely manner.

The front desk staff seemed to be in a malaise, overwhelmed by large lines of people checking in or out; no friendly faces or smiles here, sad, but not really a problem, besides the wait and sympathy for the people who hate their jobs. The true problem came when the bus driver decided to skip a scheduled trip to the airport, probably for a cigarette or coffee, leaving a large group of people waiting at the curb for over forty minutes. When I asked a staff member ( a man with glasses wearing a jacket saying "Aventus") if he could call the driver since we were going to be late to the airport, he replied, "it is not my job to speak english." turned his back and walked away. Was I wrong to assume the staff at an hotel should speak english? I probably should have stumbled through a little spanish first, but we were late and only speak a little spanish and as a customer at an international hotel, I don't think his extreme sensitivities give him the right to walk away and not solve the problem. I was late and only barely checked in. Others had to take a taxis because of his refusal to do anything to fix the situation.

Will you be a victim of the whim of shuttle driver who decides not to come? Be prepared to roll the dice at hotel auditorium. Furthermore, if you have a problem, be prepared to treated with disdain, and disrespect. If you do get someone to help, bring you spanish-english dictionary.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hotel A, Social Media Marketing at Hotel Auditorium Madrid, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear client, first of all we are sorry your experience was not as positive as that of others.
Regarding the front desk staff sometimes -as you pointed out - there are large lines of people checking in and out and what we intend to do in such occasions is prioritising the speed of the check-ins and try to get that sorted out as soon as possible. We are sorry if no one smiled at you though but that did not mean we hate our jobs at all ;)
Regarding the issue with the "Aventus" man we have tried to find out about company but we do not work with any company called "Aventus" so I think you just asked someone random and that was his answer, sad asnwer though. Our staff speak English and we are always delighted to help anyone we can - even if it's out of our hands but we can help anyway -.
With regard to the shuttle we do not skip any scheduled trip to the aiport so what it might have happened is that due to the traffic the shuttle service might have been delayed 15-20 minutes.
We are so sorry for what happened at the entrance and hope that did not cause you any more trouble.
Thank you for sharing this with us and highlighting areas where improvement may be found.

Kind regards ;)
Lexington, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I booked a room because I need a place in Madrid to stay on Sunday and Monday before my flight to Vienna. Excellent choice as it turned out! Reasonable room rate, great breakfast selection, a nice snack bar for late night foraging (vending machines), exercise room. The shuttle was very nice to get back and forth to the airport, and the front desk gave me detailed instructions on how to catch a city bus into downtown (and avoid the taxi's) and return. I ate supper at the bar, because it was open when I was ready to eat (6pm), the food was good, and reasonably priced. It is geared more to convention business - huge auditorium, many large meeting rooms - but I was treated with respect even though traveling alone. I know where I'll plan to stay on my next visit to Madrid!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the first two wings, especially if you are handicapped - they are closest to the fr...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hotel A, Social Media Marketing at Hotel Auditorium Madrid, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear client, thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. We are so glad you had such a nice experience and that you felt so comfortable and happy with us. You made us feel proud that all our services suited you so well.
Hope you had a great time in Vienna and hope to see you back soon.

Montijo, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have stayed in Auditorium Madrid one nigth just to catch the flight to my final destination. This hotel was chosen because it's location in the airport area. I didn't knew the hotel; my choice was made based in the recomendation of the travel agency that booked my trip from Lisbon to Cancun and the fact that the hotel have a shuttle service to/from the airport.

Positive notes:

Excellent quality and quantity of the breakfast
Good location if you if you want to go to the airport (7 minutes to Barajas T1)
Efficient staff at the front-desk
Good looking lobby, bars and restaurant

Negative notes:

The shuttle didn't fulfilled the timetable when we arrive in Madrid
The night is noisy, particulary at the lobby and at the big bar area
Poor location if you need a restaurant, a shop or anything within walking distance

Overall, if you are looking for a place to spend a night near Barajas airport, you should consider this hotel; i'll use again, if i need.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hotel A, Social Media Marketing at Hotel Auditorium Madrid, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear cilent, thanks a lot for telling us how your experience was during your stay at Madrid. We are glad you liked it and that you will take us into consideration for yor next time.
Hope to see you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and just needed a place to sleep. They opened the pool for us early bc we were on vacation, breakfast was great, very nice looking hotel. We had someone at the airport book it for us as we got off the plane with no place to stay. I was worried it was going to be a dive. I was SO wrong.

• Stayed July 2012
Hotel A, Social Media Marketing at Hotel Auditorium Madrid, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear client, we are so happy your experience was that good. We hope you enjoyed the swimming pool as well as the breakfast.
Thank you for taking the time to write this post and we hope to see you back around soon.

Kindest regards ;)

Been to Hotel Auditorium Madrid? Share your experiences!