“San Lorenzo: Good Location and Good Price” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hostal San Lorenzo to your Saves list
Hostal San Lorenzo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Clavel 8, 28004 Madrid, Spain (Centro)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #322 of 457 hotels in Madrid
Bristol, United Kingdom
“San Lorenzo: Good Location and Good Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Dear All,

we have been in San Lorenzo for 3 nights: great location, really close to the Plaza de la Puerta del Sol. From the Airport, achieve the Hotel takes less than 40 minutes by Metro. Nice room, quite clean. The reception staff is really helpful and polite. Despite the traffic on the Gran Via we never had problems in terms of noise: the hotel is in a small parallel road that ensures calm nights.

In this hotel you can have also the breakfast, if you want: it's not necessary to pay in advance, that makes your trip more flexible also by this point of view.

One small weaknes : the room was not very enlightened, in fact there were just 2 abat-jour.

I would warmly suggest that hotel for young or not young couples, groups of friends as well family.

Room Tip: If you want to see outside ask for it: some rooms have the windows on the inner garden where the sta...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Very convenient hotel in the heart of the city. Easy walking distance to many sites.
Clean rooms. Pleasant staff. Free wireless, option to have breakfast for additional cost.
Cost of room was a good bargin
I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

A very convenient place to stay in the heart of Madrid. Room was small but had a full bath with small tub and was just afine for a single person spending modt of the day outside visiting museums and sightseeing. At night, room was surprisingly quiet despite being a few meters from the Gran Via, where you find people at any time of night. Overall a great bargain.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I reserved and paid for a room at the San Lorenzo 3 months in advance and when I showed up they told me the hotel was full. They did provide me with an alternative room at another hostal a few blocks away but the room was smaller though it had a better view. The only explanation I can think of is that I had booked so early and got a fair price and then I realized I had booked for the night before a major holiday so maybe the upped the price and got a taker. I've stayed at the San Lorenzo many times over the years and am disappointed that they would no hold my reservation for me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Porto, Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here with my wife for 2 nights. We left the hotel early in the morning and came back at night to sleep, so we didn't spend much time in the room. When in Madrid, who wants to spend time in a hotel room anyway? The room was clean and had basic furniture, but they were all ok. Compared to the hostels on the Gran Via, this was more quiet and without any hookers around. There was sometimes noise coming from the street. Free wireless was ok. We haven't tried the breakfast, so I cannot make any comments.
To summarize, I would suggest everyone to try places like this one instead of staying in other places on Gran Via. They are much more dangerous and noisier. You will spend 10-20 euros more but it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Having lived in Madrid and visiting it often over the years, I have stayed at many hotels and pensiones (hostals). I now almost always stay at the San Lorenzo if I am on vacation or just need a night in Madrid before an international flight, etc. The location is perfect, right in the heart of the gay neighborhood, and close to everything. It is safe and clean. The rooms are very basic --- no luxury here-- but are very cheap.
Don't get breakfast in the restaurant! The bar/cafe on the corner directly below the hostal serves great food and is much cheaper.
Bottom line, if you just want somewhere to rest that's cheap but cheerful, the San Lorenzo is perfect.

Room Tip: If you want atmosphere, ask for the rooms that look out on the plaza. They are louder but it's f...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Wollerau, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed in this hotel while studying in Madrid for over a month, which led me to look for a cheap hotel. i would say that the hotel is good for its price and for its location but that's it. The rooms are extremely basic - and small - but still, quite clean. The wifi is very weak and I suggest you to go to a café rather than take breakfast there. I especially had two misfortunes that lead me to meet a few people of the management, whom, shouldn't forget that they work in hospitality!
First of all, I brought a friend in order to watch a movie on my computer. This lead to a scandal as the front desk clerk accused me of basically going to sleep with this girl, which was "impossible as I had a single room". They treated my friend as a prostitute, which was extremely rude. Again, it was just a friend, for a simple DVD night.
My second bad experience is that something has disappeared from my room and I believe that the maid took it. I mentioned this to the management and had a very intense talk with a manager, who was extremely rude and, instead of just saying sorry or trying to find a solution, accused me of being a liar etc...
Nonetheless, if I try to stay honest, the hotel is good if you're not looking for luxury and if you're seeking a good location and good value for money... but do know that you'll be judged! I will personally, never ever step foot there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hostal San Lorenzo? Share your experiences!