“Quality/price correct” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #306 of 457 Hotels in Madrid
Copenhague
“Quality/price correct”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I checked Tripadvisor before booking a room in this Hostal. The first review found was very negative. Fact is the price is low and you do not expect a 5 stars hotel for it. The Hostal is very well situated in the Center of Madrid. One on vacation will not stay in the hostal the whole day. So get out and visit Madrid as it is a beautiful city. You ring the bell and the door opens. You take a lift (not an old stair) and get up to the Hostal. The person at the reception is very friendly and speaks various languages. You get a map of Madrid and good advice where to go if you do not want to spend a fortune eating. We took a small room for two persons. This was a small room but who cares when you spend your day outside. The bathroom has all what you need for two persons.
The room was kept very clean every day. (The cleaning soap used was too strong though.)
This is for the plus points. What I would object though is the smell coming from the sewer through the sink, the bathtube and at time even the window. The window of the room was to a tinny courtyard. Being in Spain you can expect some noise at night. But again "be in Spain" and you will enjoy.

Room Tip: Check if you are on the street or courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Berlin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

I advise everyone NOT to stay at the tijcal hostel...
It is located in a shady street but close to the plaza mayor (which is the only positive thing)
To enter the hostel you have to ring a doorbell and when you have entered you have to walk up worn off old stairs up to the fourth floor...

The moment me and my friend walked in we knew we did not want to stay in this place of disgrace. We checked in anyway and found out that you have to pay 6 euros PER NIGHT for airconditioning, we decided not to since it wasnt that hot weather.

We entered our room which was not at all like on the pictures shown on the internet. It was tiny and smelled appalingly. We decided to air out the whole day but when we came back from sightseeing it still smelt the same we could hardly breathe or fall asleep, our clothes smelled of it several days after....
The bathroom was so small i hit myself at least 10 times everytime i was in there.

When leaving the room i noticed something that looked like a fire exit close by which made me feel better until i saw it said door without exit-- so no emergency exits greattt

We stayed one night and decided to leave the next day to find a new place.. since we had reserved the room for one more night the guy made us pay even though we didnt want to stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Island of Malta, Malta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

We had to cancel reservation 24 hours prior to arriving due to urgent sickness and on doctor's advice to cancel our trip. We also had certificate available. However, Hostal Tijcal still charged us the full amount of the whole reservation despite the several requests I made to them to reconsider revoking their policy in such an instance. Their first excuse I got was that "Juan from reservations department already charged your credit card and has no intention to issue a refund". After I replied to such a frustrating reply I got the final reply that the Hostal Tijcal was going to stick to its policy and not refund any money!! To top this all - they would not even let us postpone our reservation. So Inconsiderate, Heartless, Unprofessional and Selfish !!!

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Christchurch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

I booked a small room- we got a very small room! It was fine though we just had to step over our suit cases to get in and out of the bathroom which was a bit of fun. This hotel is in the best location you could want in Madrid and has a safe feel at night. There is a security door to get in and a 24 hour reception so we felt safe. There are a couple of reviews saying the stairs are dark, they had sensor lights so it wasn't a problem. The room is a bit hit and miss with a pretty dodgy shower, however they are also priced accordingly. Noise was not a problem on our stay at all, although we did keep Spanish hours, I imagine anywhere in Spain would be noisy if you tried to sleep before midnight.

If you normally would say we just need a bed for the night then this place is for you - no dramas and a very good coffee machine.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hostal Tijcal in Plaza Mayor and I was not happy. The rooms look into a patio that is over a restaurant where they play loud music very very early in the morning and late into the night. The stairs leading up to the hostal are uneven and extremely dangerous and old. And then there is the staff. The guy during the day is horribly horribly rude. If you ask him for any help he either has no answer, doesn't try to help or just shrugs his shoulders and says its not his job.

If I had to say something nice it would be that the beds are OK and the cleaning ladies are the only people willing to help you!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Malvern, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

this is the second time I have stayed in the Hostal Tijcal One
it is 20 metres from the Plaza Mayor, in an area with lots of lovely restaurants, and close to all the sights
the standard of cleanliness is excellent, and it has very friendly and helpful staff
I noted an earlier comment on this hostal that the windows overlook other bedrooms, yes they do, via an internal courtyard, but all windows either have curtains or shutters for privacy, and its nice to have a window open for fresh air
some stairways in the hostal look a little "tired" but are all clean, and the rooms themselves are spotless
I had a room at the back, and there was no noise at all

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

We only stayed a night...If it would have been more nights I would have asked for a change of the room since there was a really bad smell coming from the toilet. I dont know if it was that the heater was on and it was old place but the pipes smelled bad ;maybe pipes in bathroom need a trap!!, but other than it was great location.
I would stay again in a different room.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostal Tijcal? Share your experiences!