“Not the best place to rest but good enough to spend the night.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Astoria Hostal

Save Saved
You added Astoria Hostal to your Saves list
Astoria Hostal
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Carrera San Jeronimo 30-32, 5th floor, 28014 Madrid, Spain (Centro)   |
Ranked #50 of 339 Specialty lodging in Madrid
Vilanova i la Geltru, Spain
“Not the best place to rest but good enough to spend the night.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Firts of all, I was disappointed because I had in mind a different image of the room, more modern like the pictures in the web site, but I was on my own so decided to keep it.

Positive things: clean, decent size room for one, great location, friendly staff, AC, hot water.

Negative: noise in hallways, hostal´s ring bell!, working men by my window (they are rehabilitating the building outside), shower curtain (it sticks to your body while showering, it is a constant fight)

I don´t think I´ll come back here. I could not rest at all, I had to wake up before 7:00am because of the noise of people talking, walking, water pipes next door, etc...

But If you don´t mind waking up early or you are a heavy sleeper it is a nice place for its location and friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

311 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
PITTSBURGH, CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I really enjoyed staying here at the Astoria Hostal Rooms small but adequate, as often the case for singles. Everything very clean. So convenient to Sol Subway stop and most of the major museums. . Good restaurants nearby as well. Free access to computer and free wi-fi. Very nice staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Hostel located 2minutes away from Puerta del Sol and Gran Via.
Came to see a musical and got cheap accommodation as close as possible to the theatre. We arrived at 11pm and I was a bit worried because one of the entrance doors looks like a dirty entrance to a block of flats.
The reception is on the 5th floor, and there's a small lift to get there.
I was very pleasently surprised when we saw the reception. Clean, cosy, great service (very nice and helpful receptionist) and the room is just like being in a 3star hotel. The rooms on the 4th floor we renewed recently and are great. We stayed in a triple room. Comfortable beds, spacious room, double glazed windows, mainly quiet (specially considering it's the centre of town). No noise from the street. Bathroom is slightly small, but clean and has a hidromassage shower! Beds made every day, clean towels every day, heating works well, flat screen tv. Good price considering it's a triple room in the centre of Madrid, and having experienced the quality, I will definitely reccommend it to anyone who comes to Madrid in the future.
Well worth it!

• Stayed January 2013
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I booked this visit based on my satisfaction during a previous stay in June of 2010. This time I was not happy wit the stay. Our first room had a bad smell and buzzing noise. When we asked for another room the woman at the desk was very rude and dismissive. The second room was VERY small -- not big enough for two people. I had paid extra for a terrace and because of the room design the terrace door (and thus the outside light source) was tucked into a small nook, along with a very small desk, away from the room, so we were not able to benefit from the light or the open terrace door. The lighting in the room was extremely poor - only a couple small lights in the ceiling and one small light next to the bed - and a security light above the door kept turning on and off all night long, thus interrupting our sleep. The phone in our room did not work and the WiFi connection was absolutely deplorable.

I will, however, say that I was very pleased with the comfortable bed. It was the best part of the stay.

Room Tip: The size of the rooms is not depicted well in the photos online. If I had known how small the doubl...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

It was kind of pricy for the room that I got. I only stayed one night, but it has great location, near Sol and Gran Via, that area has plenty nightlife and things to see during the day. Clean room, with the basics that you need!

They offer wi-fi, every room has television, airconditioning/ heating, personal desk.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Prague, CZE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

As said about this hotel many times before - its greatest advantage is its location. We also appreciated that it is in walking distance to Plaza de Cibeles, from where the night buses to airport go (metro does not start before 6 am!). Our room was very small, but equipped very well. We were also surprised by having a terrace and a quite luxurious shower. The staff is friendly, no matter what time you arrive and leave and always eager to help. There was a little smell from sawage but this is a common problem in Madrid. As for the noise, we could not believe we are in Spain - we heard absolutely nothing at night even tough there were street demonstrations just under the windows at that time! We would definitely stay here again. Thank you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
parabita
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The position of this hostel is for sure the main quality . Just 5 min walking from puerta del sol. I visited the main attractions without needing of metro or buses. The counterpart is that the room was very tiny and there was no space to open my baggage, but the bathroom was the tiniest I've ever seen, I cannot wash my teeth with the door closed, no space left for moving arms. The cleanliness was pretty good and the bed as weel was comfortable. overall price/quality is quite in the avarage for the city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Astoria Hostal? Share your experiences!