“Central, convenient and cheap!” 4 of 5 stars

Hostal Alcazar Regis
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gran Via 61-5, 28013 Madrid, Spain (Centro)   |
Ranked #397 of 458 Hotels in Madrid
London, UK
“Central, convenient and cheap!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

After leaving it a little late to book accomodation in Madrid in March 2007, I ended up phoning every hostel I could find in my Lonely Planet or online and was told each time "Sorry, we are full those dates!" I couldn't believe it when the woman on the other end of the line at the Hostal Alcazar Regis said that she had a triple room available! She had a very abrupt manner about her and no matter how many times I typed the hostel name into a search engine online, I couldn't find a singel review or photo. Still, it was the only place in our budget that had rooms, so I figured I better book it!
The hostel is located on Gran Via, an enormous street full of pensiones, hotels and hostels. It is a lovely old building and the hostel itself is located up high in the building and has lots of period features in the main entrance hall. Rooms are located off this hall and our room had an ensuite bathroom (very small but very useful!) so I assume other rooms had them too.
The room was small but clean and had enough room for the 3 beds and a desk, the ensuite bathroom and floor space, so it was fine. We also had a large window looking out over Gran Via, which was nice.
The owner can come across as a little scary, but she was incredibly helpful any time we asked for directions or advice about getting around Madrid.
A taxi from the airport was just 22 euros, which was handy as we got in quite late.
Metro stations are located nearby, as are theatres, restaurants and the large 'Plaza de Espana' square.
I would definitely recommend this hostel as I found it convenient, safe and enjoyable.

• Liked — Great location at a great price
  • Disliked — owner appears a little frightening at first!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2004

My daughter and I stayed in the Alcazar for 3 nights in June. At $46 for a double the Alcazar was a great bargain. The lady in charge was very nice and helpful. The location is very convenient. The rooms are very modest but that was all we needed at the time. Our room had a balcony facing La Gran Via (main street), on the 6th floor but it wasn't noisy, it was pretty clean, and nothing fancy but a good value.
The Hostal Buenos Aires is located one floor below and the double went for $59 but the guy at the front desk was not nice, friends that stayed there complained that the service was not good, so we decided to try the Hostal on the next floor, which happened to be the Alcazar & we're happy we made that choice.

• Stayed June 2004

Been to Hostal Alcazar Regis? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hostal Alcazar Regis

Address: Gran Via 61-5, 28013 Madrid, Spain
Location: Spain > Community of Madrid > Madrid > Centro , Cortes / Plaza Santa Ana
Bar / Lounge Shuttle Bus service
Ranked #397 of 458 Hotels in Madrid
Hotel Class:2 star — Hostal Alcazar Regis 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hostal Alcazar Regis reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Hostal Alcazar Regis Madrid

If you own or manage Hostal Alcazar Regis, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.