“A great homebase for all parts Madrid” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Francisco I
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   c/ Arenal,15, 28013 Madrid, Spain (Centro)   |
Ranked #22 of 457 Hotels in Madrid
Norfolk, Virginia
“A great homebase for all parts Madrid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is at the heart of Madrid only a few blocks from Plaza del Sol. The proximity to two important metro stops (Sol & Opera) gives Hotel Francisco I great access to any place a tourist would want to go. The folks managing the desk are very helpful and know the city very well. The rooms are very contemporary and have nice bathrooms. When I stayed here the air conditioning was not operating but Madrid is comfortable without AC in September. For some reason the matress pad is some kind of vinyl cloth mix. I woke up sweaty. I enjoyed the breakfast it was not too big or small and kept me satisfied till mid afternoon. Stay here if you want to feel the pulse of the city.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

After our driver from the airport asked us why we chose this hotel I became a little worried that he knew something that I didn't. This feeling of dread didn't last long, as I saw how centrally located this hotel is to many, many sites. The staff were cordial, and the bellhop insisted he carry our luggage up two different flights of stairs to the elevator.

The room: This hotel has recently been remodeled (some rooms were still being worked on), and while some of the finishes were on the cheap side, they overall did a very nice job. The room and bathroom were very clean and modern. The room itself was a little on the small side, but hey, when in Rome. The bathroom was a nice size, and the water pressure and temperature were never an issue. Our room was on the 3rd floor, and had a balcony that was big enough to stand on.

The location: Couldn't beat it! Teatro Real, Palacio Real, Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, shopping, restaurants and more all very close by. Madrid is an incredibly walkable city, and around every corner is another beautiful scene. The museums are a bit far, but there are two metro stops very close by.

One gripe: While the room did have an air conditioning unit (we would have died without it!), there was a tube that led out onto the balcony and this left us unable to close the door at night. There just so happens to be a very popular nightclub a block down the street, and without fail at 2 to 3 in the morning the rowdy crowd would make quite a ruckus. Luckily we were exhausted every night and it didn't bother us too terribly much, but if you are a light sleeper be aware of this. It might be a deal breaker for you.

Pro: There are many, I'd recommend this place highly. Bonus: They carry cerveza Mahou in the vending machine!

Room Tip: Don't get a street room if you are a light sleeper. It gets very loud around 2 when the clubs le...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We booked this hotel based on it's location close to the middle of town and we could believe how great the rooms were. There was 2 couples travelling and both rooms were fantastic. The rooms were newly renovated and whilst there was still some work to be finished (dining room etc) but it didn't take away from the hotel. We loved being able to open the big doors out over looking the street, watching the people walk past. We would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Very nice hotel. Big room and bathroom. Clean. Very good service.
.......................................................................................................................................

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

The facade of the hotel is shabby, the lobby is small yet very nice, and the hotel 2 nd lobby/ hallway is under construction, but we were so pleasantly surprised by the beautiful room. Not expecting such a luxurious room for the cheap price. The glass bathroom is newly renovated, the room looks sleek with nice views on the busy Arenal street. The air conditioner is a portable one inside the room, and slightly detracts from the sleek look but it's ok. Amazing location, some people might mind the noisy street, I'm from NYC and we slept fine. Super close to all the main sights, a 7 min. Walk to a bar/nightlife area. Everything is in close walking distance. Free wifi.

Stayed July 2012
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We were not sure what to expect when we booked this hotel to finish off our holiday. Our group of 8 booked 3 rooms and we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were spotlessly clean, modern and comfortable. In a fab location with the city sights including the palace just a few minutes walk away. Staff were attentive and helpful carrying luggage and arranging transport to the airport when requested. Only drawbacks none of us had any window views which was disappointing and the free standing air con units were noisy and had to have a hose draped out of the window. We would have appreciated tea/coffee facilities in the rooms but this is a personal preference. Breakfast was nice and our 4 teenagers enjoyed it!! Beware of getting a taxi from the airport though - as there was 8 of us we had to take 2 and it cost us 45 euros each taxi. The hotel will arrange a mini bus for larger partys for only 60 euros which is quite a saving.
Overall a nice hotel still undergoing building works but definitely well worth the money and we would recommend it to anyone wanting to be in the centre of madrid.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

When I booked a single room for around £25 a night I was not optimistic however this hotel was perfect! Double room was spacious and everything was new! I had a balcony overlooking a cute little street and an airconditioning machine (ok so I had to hang the pipe out of the windows but for £25 a night I was expecting a fan at the most!)
The room was clean and the breakfast was nice. The staff were helpful and friendly and allowed me to leave my baggage behind the desk after checking out as well as booking mea hotel and generall being all round helpful.
I've stayed in lots of gorgeous hotels on business and was happily surprised by this holiday hotel.
I wouldnt reccomend for disabled people however as there are stairs to the lift.

Previous bad reviews were clearly posted before and during the rennovation.

This hotel is VERY central and is a 5 min walk from Sol station - at night there is a little bit of noise from party goers etc but not notceable enough to ruin your nights sleep!

Great hotel and would def stay there again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Francisco I? Share your experiences!