“Ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Best Western Mayorazgo

You added Best Western Mayorazgo to your Saves list
Best Western Mayorazgo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C./ Flor Baja 3 (Semiesquina Gran Via, 61), 28013 Madrid, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #226 of 457 Hotels in Madrid
Aberdeenshire
“Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

The hotel is in a good location as its central and very near a metro station. The reception staff were quite rude and abrupt and we had to press them for details like where our room and the lift were! Room was average and reasonably clean.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed here with my partner during for two nights and mother in law. I used my best western reward points so didn't actually have to pay. However i'm surprised that this hotel is 4* - it really should be 3*. Its very dated and lacks 4* facilities

Our rooms were large, clean and next to each other.

The hotel is in an excellent location and easy walking distance to all major sites

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was not really what you expect for 4* hotel but was ok.

overall a good base to explore madrid but in desperate need for renovation, very 1970s.

Tip: Avoid the bars / restaurants on gran via selling overpriced poor quality food, a few streets back are some excellent tapas bars and make sure you speak a little spainish

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I'll start off with the positives: The hotel is centrally located. It's very close to many exciting attractions (all within short walks), it's just steps from the Metro, and there are a ton of food options in the area. It's only a few feet away from Gran Via. I wasn't worried about the location at all as there are plenty of people in the area, and a lot of other tourists.

Now a few not-so-positives: Others have mentioned that the beds are 'rock hard'. They really are. They were not very comfortable and took some time to get used to before I could actually get some sleep. The building is old and in need of some renovations. It is a "4-star" yet does not seem to have the "4-star" quality typical of 2012.

And the negative: When we checked out, we were told that we had not prepaid for the room and needed to pay for the two nights we stayed. I showed the clerk my print out confirmation that showed I had prepaid, but he insisted that we still owed. Then the supervisor/manager/accounting person (I'm not sure of her title) came out - she stated that the rate was not prepaid and that we owed the hotel. I showed her my confirmation and she said that it was still showing on their records that it wasn't paid. Finally, they showed me printed confirmation of the booking at their end - and the name was not ours. In fact, the room number was not even close to our room number. I was quite unimpressed with this. I felt that the front desk person did not verify our hotel room number when we told him, and he just went off my last name (which he misheard). The supervisor/manager/accounting person was defensive and accusatory right off the start. She didn't ask any qualifying questions to ensure that the booking she was looking at was ours. She just assumed it was, which is not of 4-star customer service in my opinion. Had she done things right, she would have said "Let me just verify your room number and name"...especially since I had given BOTH of them my confirmation print out with my full name on it.

So, had I not experienced what I considered to be a rude interaction with staff, I would have suggested have given this hotel an "average" rating. Having dealt with this situation, though, and compared to the other 7 hotels we stayed in during our Europe trip, I have to say "poor" for this hotel. I will not be returning the next time I'm in Madrid (And I will return to Madrid as it's a beautiful, friendly, energized city).

Room Tip: The elevators are small and get crowded with only 2 or 3 people. We had a room on a low floor, so we...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Utrecht
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Moderate place to sleep, the rooms are from some decades ago.
Good location for shopping and metro. No suprises.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Tunbridge Wells
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

As with many hotels, this one is a question of understanding how much you've paid and what that entitles you to.

The good:
# Fabulous location, 30 metres from Gran Via and 5 minutes walk from the Real Palace, Plaza Mayor etc.
# Large, clean room (although 2 twins pushed together rather than the requested double
# Large bathroom with twin sinks
# Best shower of any hotel anywhere (no, seriously - unlimited hot water and pounding water pressure).
# Decent and plentiful breakfast buffet
# Free wifi
# Did I mention the location?

The bad:
# No facilities to speak of
# Decidedly tired public areas
# Thin walls so you can hear everything around you
# In bathroom hairdryer like being breathed on by an asthmatic
# Bar next door gets beer deliveries at between 3 and 3:30 on Saturday and Tuesday mornings (in my experience)
# Wifi code only lasts 24 hours so you have to get it renewed every day.

All in all, a perfect budget location for a long weekend. If it's luxury you're after go elsewhere but in my book a 4 night long weekend for 2 at c£400 B&B including flights isn't a bad deal - you could do a great deal worse.

Room Tip: As far from neighbouring bar as you can get
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Baku
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Interiors a bit shabby

Front desk very helpful (had a difficulty explaining them about lunch basket though - you should say "picnic" :)

The shower lever was broken - scalding hot water - but they fixed it quickly enough

The nearby stripbar is not really THAT noisy (anyway it sinks in the general nightly noise of Gran Via cars :)

2 min walking to plaza de Espana metro, 10 min walk to Royal Palace

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I have just enjoyed a short break in Madrid, where this hotel is ideally positioned as a base from which to explore the city. All the staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfast offers the usual range found in continental Europe and is available from first thing to late morning. The decor is traditional, giving the place a certain charm. Live music in the piano bar makes for a relaxing might cap. All that plus clean, spacious and well equipped rooms means that we will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Best Western Mayorazgo? Share your experiences!