“Handy Location but nowt else” 3 of 5 stars

HRC Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Angel, 18, 28005 Madrid, Spain (Centro)   |
Ranked #69 of 458 Hotels in Madrid
London, England, United Kingdom
“Handy Location but nowt else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Opposite Cathedral in South part of Madrid so away from main tourist sites.
This hotel has a modern outside and underground car parking but at 12 euros per space was expensive. The rooms are dated 1970's chintz with full drop roller shutters to keep out the sun but even the secondary fit glazing didn't cut out the noise of the bar below, the street prostitutes shouting to each other followed by the early morning cleaners arguing at the top of their voices as they waited for the bus.
The airconditioning didn't work which made being battened down in the room even worse.
The breakfast was non existent in the cafe affair attached to the hotel.
All in all basic, turn up, don't sleep, don't eat then leave.
HRC stands for Hotel Reyes Catolicas (Catholic King Hotel) there are several in Spain but I don't know how they compare.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Director_HRC, Gerente at HRC Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Guest, first of all apologize for the problems you had. I take this opportunity to respond your comment because there are things that I not totally agree.
First off the hotel is located in the center of Madrid just 1 km from the Puerta del sol and as you know is the km 0 and center of this city.
Rooms have been refurbished and redecorated for only 1 year and a half, I feel that they were not to his liking but I assure you they are not 1970.
In this neighborhood there are no prostitutes, is a safe neighborhood and no problems. It is true that there is a pub and sometimes when young people go home or go to the pub can give some voice but isn't normal and are things of the age.
finally say that I also feel that our cafeteria is not to your liking but all our customers are satisfied and that's a good sign that things are done well.
In short, I feel that your stay was not pleasant and I hope we get another chance in the future to show that here we do things right and sometimes our mistakes but we usually try to make our guests feel at home and stay as pleasant and enjoyable as possible.

best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed in this hotel from 22/ 08/2012 for 4 night. So what I am going to say here is a real updated one.

The hotel located in a nice quiet area although it is not very far from the main arractions. The bathroom is big and clean, plenty of hot water whenever you want to take shower. It says free WI-FI everywhere in the hotel but since our room is in the corner at first first, hence the singal in the room was very weak. I need to go to the corridor or the lobby to get internet connection. But it didn't bother me at all as you don't sit in your room to explore the internet all day long while you are on holiday.

Only 5-10 minutes walk to Royal Palace, My partner and I walked to Gran Via (the heart of city center)almost everyday. If you wanted to go to Plaza de Toros (Bullring arena) take the red metro from Opera to Ventos(its the easiest way you don't need to change). You will see the Plaza when you come out from the metro.

We bought 10 trips mentro tickets at airport for Euro 18 for two. Actually we didn't finish it because we walked to everywhere.

There is a club on the groudfloor. I was worried the noise when I read some reviews here. To be honest I didn't hear anything but my partner told me he couldn't sleep well only for one night because of the noise. But overall he is happy for his stay too.

We would recommend this hotel for everyone because it is in good location, nice friendly staff, free WI-FI., big bathroom, etc etc.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Director_HRC, Director General at HRC Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear guest.

First of all thank you for your comments, it is the best way to learn about the experiences of our guests during your stay in Madrid.

We try always to do our best. It was an honour for our staff to help you with the credit card issues you could have in Spain.

We hope you enjoyed the surroundings of the hotel. La Latina is the best place of Madrid to appreciate the quality of the tapas that are served in this city.

We stay in your entire disposal and hope that you will return to visit us in another time, meanwhile we are working in achieving our goal that is that our guests enjoy their stay along in our hotel.

We hope to see you soon once again at HRC hotel in Madrid.
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This hotel is located not far from the center - just few minutes from Royal palace and Calle Mayor. We had nice cathedral view from our 3rd floor.
Bathroom is clean, room is not very big, but cosy. We had heard some noise from other rooms but it hadn't disturbed us.
Wi-Fi is free and mini-bar is also free (while booking via hotel website)
The price was reasonable, so we were satisfied with the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We choose this hotel because of the location and we were quite pleased with it - walking distance to museums and very close to the Calle de la Cava Baja and good tapas - but the decor in the rooms were strangely quirky and it was quite loud The cafeteria on the first floor is not too bad though and the people who run it are very kind. Secure parking.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

HRC Hotel was a good value for a short stay in Madrid. The hotel staff was friendly, the rooms were clean, and it was a short walk to the Royal Palace, Plaza Mayor, and the charming, tapas-bar-filled streets of the La Latina neighborhood. We heard weekend partyers' late-night singing a few times, but nothing too disruptive. For those with a car: there was parking available (for 20 Euro/day), but the garage entrance ramp and the parking space itself were so tiny we couldn't use it and ended up having to pay 28 Euro/day for the public garage a few blocks away.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I selected this hotel to be within walking distance of the palace and it was. Not only was it close but it was a straight route - 20 min. It was also within walking distance of the city centre - Puerta del Sol. The hotel so well situated was obviously not new, but was nicely renovated recently. The embroidered towels were as nice as what you would find in a five star hotel. The room was tiny - but recently refurbished. The place was very secure. You need to ring the door bell to enter, even during the day. They tried to sell me a continental breakfast for 12 euros. Obviously a tourist trap. I did have my breaksfast in the hotel "cafeteria" - which I would translate more to snack bar. A coffee and a ham and cheese croissant costed 5 euros "a la carte". I would recommend the place for its location - the staff was friendly - spoke good english - and it was extremely clean.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I just booked through Booking.com. I selected this hotel because trip advisor said it has free parking. I noticed on my receipt that the hotel charges E 20 per day for parking. Booking.com would not let me cancel the reservation even though i omnly made it 2 minutes before i called.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Director_HRC, Director General at HRC Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear RobfromVA,

Firstly I would like to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We have now finally been able to correct the information on our Tripadvisor entry.

In addition I hope that you have received the cancellation confirmation from Booking.com for which we waived the cancellation fee as soon as we were informed of your situation.

I hope that wherever you stay in Madrid you enjoy your stay in our lovely city.

Regards

Been to HRC Hotel? Share your experiences!