“Great Location - In Need of Refurnish” 3 of 5 stars

Regente Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Mesonero Romanos 9, 28013 Madrid, Spain   |
Ranked #282 of 457 hotels in Madrid
Mlebourne
“Great Location - In Need of Refurnish”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2006

Just returned from 5 nights in Madrid. The best feature of the hotel is its location, very central.
The hotel looks tired and in need of refurnish.
The staff were wonderful and would do anything to please you.
The rooms were of a good size, we had connecting rooms for a family of five. The bathrooms suffer from lack of ventilation.
At stages the room walls appeared to be very thin as we could hear the guests next door and in the hallway.
Overall, expected a little bit more for a 3 star hotel, the website is not a true reflection of the state of the hotel.
Would stay again only if refurnished.

• Stayed December 2005

632 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Memphis, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2005

I stayed at this hotel 4 nights over Thanksgiving. I was a female traveling alone and was able to hop on the metro straight from the Madrid airport and get off the Gran Via exit, the hotel was maybe 2 blocks if that far. It has a sign on Gran Via but, is accessed thru a side street. It was nice and clean, easy check in. When I got to my room it was a twin and small. I thought well, just going sleep and shower here, still clean and nice. As soon as I opened my suitcase the phone rang and a gentleman at the front desk said I was suppose to have a double bed and was sending someone to take my luggage and escort me to another room. Right away a man took me to a bigger room, which was clean and a little larger. I was pleased with this hotel overall. A good price (Expedia purchase) and very well kept. If any gripes it would be that my view out of the window was the outside walls of the hotel, no temperature control in room (got warm, slept with window open),extra charge to use the inroom safe, noisy hallways, the room next to mine's door was not even a foot away. When I took a bath one nite, I thought the man next door was in the tub with me when I heard him talk and cough. All in all the staff was great, shopping, restaurants,coffee shops, nearby. Close 2 site seeing, easily could walk to most (Plaza de Mayor, Palacio Real, Plaza Puerto del Sol). Felt very safe walking alone on the streets. Shooters Bar (excellent) across the street. Overall well located, clean and nice staff. If I went back to Madrid, might stay here again.

• Stayed November 2005
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2005

Just got back from 4 nights in Madrid. Here are some of our thoughts on the Hotel Regente:

1. Location: Good (not great) location. Next to the Gran Via and within a 15 - 25 minute walk to all major tourist attractions. Near shops, restaurants, and metro. There were many other hotels with a better location than the Regente.

2. Room: Average room. Bed was two twins put together, which my wife did not appreciate. Rooms had incredibly thin walls. We heard absolutely everything (if you know what I mean) that happened in the room to our left, right, and above us. It was very noisy all night. Could not get a good night sleep. The bathroom was clean and a good size.

3. Overall: The room was average. The bathroom was fine. The location was fine. The price was great (50 euros per night). But I probably would not stay there again simply because of the noise at night. If I stay there it would only be because of the price.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed July 2005
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Regente in late June. Given that this is a 3* hotel, we were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room, which was larger than some of the 4* hotels we stayed at in other cities during our trip. The rooms were clean and quiet, service was good and location was terrific, close to the metro and main shopping areas. But if you are driving then don't stay here as the parking is expensive (so are a lot of other hotels in Madrid actually). I would definitely stay here again if I'm in Madrid.

• Stayed June 2005
Oxford, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2005

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It is very central, right next to the main central shopping area and the El Corte Ingles department store. As a hotel, it’s a pretty average 3 star and tended to be on the noisy side – odd sound of dripping water from the plumbing outside in the night and a fair bit of building work noise. Not too difficult to find by car but you need a map of Madrid with one-way streets marked. The hotel has an arrangement with a nearby car park but you are looking at 24 euros per day and not the 15 euros advertised elsewhere – be warned. If eating out you can do a lot worse than Himalaya, an Indian restaurant on Constanilla De Los Angeles. For Spanish food follow the locals to La Sanabresa on C/Amour de Dios. Looks nothing special from outside but the food was very good and pretty cheap and we were made to feel really welcome by the waiter, Joachim (you can’t miss his moustache!).

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Regente Hotel? Share your experiences!