“Unfriendly staff in Club Intercontinental Lounge” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Madrid

You added InterContinental Madrid to your Saves list
InterContinental Madrid
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de la Castellana, 49, 28046 Madrid, Spain (Chamberi)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #24 of 453 Hotels in Madrid
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami Beach, Florida
“Unfriendly staff in Club Intercontinental Lounge”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Stayed there in order to use up a Free Weekend Night coupon that comes with Priority Club Ambassador membership but was informed that the policy of allowing presentation upon arrival was changed to one requiring pre-notification. So, it ended up costing us double what we expected. Probably would have stayed at our friends' Madrid favorite, The Wellington, if we had known. We normally reserve a Club Room at Intercons because, with the free breakfast and Happy Hour , it is good value and the Club Lounge staff are normally very attentive. Not the case in Madrid. Club Lounge staff were aloof and inattentive. The Lobby Staff at the Front Desk and Concierge couldn't have been nicer, however. Did get upgraded to a Jr. Suite but it was strangely configured with two very small rooms. Would have preferred a large deluxe king. Hotel location not the best, either, being quite far from the main tourist attractions.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

I travel a great deal in Europe, and prefer to use IHG Hotels, since the points system offers the best deal in my opinion. I have deliberately opted out of the Interconti Ambassador program, because that is just a complete rip-off in my opinion. I do have Plat on Priority Club since quite a while now, and that usually gets me a friendly welcome, and even an upgrade at most hotels.

Not at this establishment, I can tell you. The last three hotels I stayed in were Interconti Bucharest, Interconti Prague and now Interconti Madrid. Madrid was of course double the price of all the others, but not even half of the value. The staff are demur, unhelpful and generally depressing people to have to deal with.

Don't beleive the marketing hype, this hotel is in the middle of nowhere. It's a 10 minute walk to the metro, (which is not the safest place to be after dark anyway) and after that an average of 20 minutes before you get to Sol, the start of the historical center of Madrid.

THe standard (or superior as they call it) room was small, I received no upgrade, no club access, no internet and no breakfast for my 200EUR per night rate. Sadly there is nowhere near this hotel to eat breakfast. I would rather go without than pay this hotel a single penny more to be honest.. and it's not even my money! This also explains the queue of taxis waiting outside of this hotel day and night. FOrtunately I hired a car (having already had the experience of being ripped off by a Madrid taxi driver on a previous visit) but the parking in this hotel is extortion, simple and pure.

I can only imagine how they expect to get repeat business. I think they are living in the past somewhat. I noticed 5 elderly staff on reception and three aged doormen all idle. Also, the hotel bars and restaurants are generally overpriced as a rule of thumb, but here they live that to the max.

It was a mistake to choose this hotel, the management clearly has little repect for it's paying guests.

Also, no pool, no sauna, expensive and slow internet, nowhere near anything interesting apart from the metro station.

I decided to stay in this hotel while on a business trip in order to check it out as a possible later venue for a short break with my wife. Definitely a no-go. I won't be back ever.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
ICMadrid, PA at InterContinental Madrid, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Our dear guest,

In the first instance, I would like to thank you for having chosen the InterContinental Hotel again during your recent visit to Madrid and for having taken some of your valuable time to share your experiences with us.

We are sorry to hear that your stay at our hotel was not at your entire satisfaction. I would like to profusely apologize for the discomfort you had experienced.

I would like to explain that we have two different Underground station 2 minutes far from our hotel, one of them "Ruben Dario" is direct line to "Gran Via", in 4 steps (10 minutes) you are in the main centre of Madrid.

Regarding bars to have breakfast you have in 100 meter 5 or 6 different options, traditional bars or Starbucks are all around.

Having an extremely valuable customer leaving the Hotel without having been able to meet his expectations is a real frustration for us and we will do our utmost to gain your confidence again.

Kind regards,
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Small room, not too smart. Wasn't too clean. Room wasn't serviced while I stayed there, about 24 hours

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
ICMadrid, PA at InterContinental Madrid, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Dear guest,

In the first instance, I would like to thank you for having chosen the InterContinental Hotel during your recent visit to Madrid and for having taken some of your valuable time to share your experiences with us.

We would like to have the opportunity to find out what happened and avoid it from happening again. Please find my mail address and if you consider it do not hesitate to contact me at anuka.fernandez@ihg.com.

Looking forward to hearnig from you. Yours faithfully,
A. Fernandez
Atlanta, Ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

After reading prior reviews that complained about the size of the room, i elected to contact the hotel prior to my arrival and express my concern. They replied promptly and on arrival made good on their promise. My room was excellent. The hotel was well managed. The Club access at $75euro/day was alittle high but the amenities provided were of high quality. Overall, a very good hotel in a good location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
ICMadrid, PA at InterContinental Madrid, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Dear guest,

I would like to wish you a very Happy New Year!!

Thank you very much for your kind comments about hotel and service.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the InterContinental Hotel on your next trip to Madrid.

Yours Faithfully,
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

There is nothing to complain about. Fantastic bed with pillows that makes one fall asleep rightaway. A club lounge open 0700-2300 with a perefect breakfast, fast internet, a large variety of newspapers, decent wine and good nibbles.
Le Jardin restaurant that provides good food, a concirge that is efficient in service and a door man that really knows where one should go when taking a taxi.
An Intercontinental that did all possible for making my 7 night stay being perfect.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
ICMadrid, PA at InterContinental Madrid, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
Dear Guest,

Guest satisfaction is our most important goal, it not only makes our hotel successful but also our job more satisfying.

I would like to wish you a fantastic new year 2011.

AF
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

If you are coming to Madrid for business that's the hotel for you but for leisure... I don't know. you need to grab a taxi wherever you go. Not even 1 coffee shop or restaurant close. The hotel is very nice, the room I got was kida small but I asked to have another one that was amazing. some of the rooms have balconies, just ask for it - same price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
ICMadrid, PA at InterContinental Madrid, responded to this review, December 24, 2010
Dear guest,

In the first instance, I would like to thank you for having chosen the InterContinental Hotel during your recent visit to Madrid and for having taken some of your valuable time to share your experiences.

Our hotel is located in the business area of Madrid but it is only 15 minutes to the historical centre. Underground and buses communicate our property to the main touristic and historical areas.

We are also very near to Serrano Street which is one of the best Shopping Areas of the city.

I really hope to have the opportunity to welcome to again to InterContinental Madrid.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2011.

AF
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

I am certainly conflicted in writing this email. Some parts of our stay were exceptional, but several issues occurred that made writing upon our return seem appropriate. We arrived early in the morning and were allowed to have an early check in as well as deciding to upgrade to a club room. We went to the club lounge and had breakfast (which was very good). We went to our room and found it to be great and tried to catch up on some sleep. The following morning, I checked my bank account and found that a hold had been placed on my debit card for $3070 us dollars for a 6 night pre-paid stay (we had pre-paid via priceline). I travel extensively for business and never recall a hold of almost 3x the cost of the entire stay being placed on a card. When enquiring at the front desk, I finally got someone to admit that the amount was high and that they would see what they could do. I would expect the hold to be in the $1000-$1500 range- but $3000??? The hold did not disappear until we returned home and significantly affected our ability to spend on the trip.

The next day, during breakfast in the Club Lounge, I requested a Diet Coke as I do not drink coffee. Diet Cokes are free during lunch and dinner hours. I was rudely told that it was only for lunch and dinner hours, but he relented and brought one. I came back about an hour later and watched a family order 4 cokes and their request was granted without the nastiness that I encountered.

The following day, I was enjoying breakfast, when I thought it would be nice to take my wife a cup of coffee, but was told "you can't take anything out of the lounge". Again the policy is understandable, but it is a cup of coffee, not two bottles of wine and a plate of food. I just fail to see why in light of the fact the hotel has $3000 on hold, why it should be a major issue to take a cup of coffee back to the room. I'm paying almost $100 per day for the privilege of the club lounge.

On Saturday night, I went to the hotel bar for a cocktail. As per my usual, I ordered a double Makers Mark- which I drink at home. The cost for the drink was 32 euros, almost enough to purchase 2 bottles of Makers Mark. Jack Daniels (a comparable spirit) is 15 euros per bottle just a block down the street. The Mini-bar pricing and room service pricing was also the highest I have ever seen. That includes staying at Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Orient Express and almost every major high end property chain.

At midnight on Saturday, a loud wedding reception with a band began in the ballroom below, treating us to 3 hours loud music. When calling the office, we were told there was nothing that could be done, but the music would end at 3 a..m. We went to the front desk the following morning, and were offered apologies and a comment that there would be no music that night, but nothing else. We were miserable for an entire day of touring due to the lost sleep. Later that night, the front desk sent up a bottle of wine and chocolate, a nice touch, but a 9 euro bottle of wine and a few chocolates do not make up for a miserable vacation day.

On the second to last day, I requested to exchange some dollars for euros. The going exchange rate was in the low 1.30’s and the hotel exchange rate was 1.59. The train station (which typically offers the worst rates in town) was lower than this. I stay in enough high end properties to know when I am being gouged, and this was clearly one of those times.

I am not a frequent complainer, but enough happened during this stay that I felt the need to write. I am not sure what sort of satisfaction guarantee Intercontinental offers, but clearly the stay failed to satisfy us. I should have talked to management prior to leaving, but the language barrier seemed to get worse when handling these issues.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
ICMadrid, PA at InterContinental Madrid, responded to this review, December 15, 2010
Our dear guest,

We are sorry to hear that your stay at our hotel was not at your entire satisfaction. I would like to profusely apologize for the discomfort you had experienced during your stay.

I would like to have the pleasure of talking to you and have the opportunity to explain what happened. Please find as follows my mail address, in case you consider us for a second opportunity, anuka.fernandez@ihg.com.

A.Fernandez

Been to InterContinental Madrid? Share your experiences!