“Five star prices, four star service” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #30 of 457 Hotels in Madrid
GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Paul, MN
“Five star prices, four star service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

On the plus side, this is a lovely grand old hotel. Yes, it could use a little updating (older carpet, etc), but the location was great for easy access to bus/train in Madrid. Staff was very courteous.

My only issue is that the hotel and its amenities are priced for a five-star experience (20 euros for a glass of beer and wine/22 euros each for breakfast, etc.). While I understand that this typically happens in a five-star hotel, our experience didn't always match up with the five stars.

As an example, when we were guided to our room, there were a stack of dishes left by housekeeping from the previous guest that remained at our front door through the entire next day. The atrium area that our room faced was a great means to channel noise - and the management seemed unwilling to do anything about the loud talking that continued throughout the night, or even the banging of silverware (staff, perhaps?) during the day when we were resting (jet lag). Simple things, but they add up. I certainly wouldn't think twice about them elsewhere if we weren't paying these rates. .

I might consider staying here again, but I don't think it's too much to ask that five star prices produce a five star experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ICMadrid, Director General at InterContinental Madrid, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Latte4me,

Thank you for your review.

I’m happy to hear you liked our hote, facilities and location. However, I am certainly disappointed by the lack of cleanliness you experienced in your corridor. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness, as I suspect you saw through out the rest of the property. Your experience falls way below our standards.

Please reach out to me personally at manrique.rodriguez@ihg.com with your check in
date and confirmation number. With this information I can investigate what fell through in
the cleaning process and ensure it won’t happen again.

Also, before booking your next stay, contact me personally so we can go above and beyond your expectations!

Thankn you very much,

Manrique Rodriguez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed 4 nights in a suite at the 6 floor. The room was large very we'll furnished with a nice view. The bed was extremely comfortable.. I slept like a baby. The bathroom is large but old, not at the level or to 4 star hotel. However the internet connection work perfectly and the room with a double door is perfectly quiet. I could access the club lounge,the food is good and It is cosy. We can take your breakfast in a nice and quite area and the staff pampers you. The gym is well equipped but small, we need to go early in the morning. What I found fabulous is the staff.. When I left the hotel I forgot some luggages, they organize everything to deliver directly at home !

Room Tip: Ask for the room executive it is fat comfortablt
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ICMadrid, General Manager at InterContinental Madrid, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Balto,

We are very happy to know you have had a wonderful stay with us.

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion on trip advisor.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

The best hotel you can find in all the area . The concierge is amazing and the best concierge I ever seen as I travel alote .the reception is very helpful and professional. From all the hotel I stay in for sure intercontinental Madrid is my favorite .

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Loai A,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our Concierge and Reception Staff.

We wil be happy to share your comment with them.

We are looking forward to welcoming you very soon,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for three nights at this hotel. All the staff were excellent! They upgraded me to a club room. It was nice and spacious. The only thing was that the shower leaked every time I had a shower. Apart from that everything was great. The room service was great as was the bar downstairs. Will definitely stay here for my future trips to Madrid.

• Stayed October 2013
ICMadrid, Director General at InterContinental Madrid, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Luvatl,

We would like to thank you for your nice comment shared on trip advisor.

I am sorry for the problem you experienced with your shower.

Thank you for your nice words regarding our Staff and services.

We really hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Manrique Rodriguez.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed here for a night on business. Good location. Decent service, albeit a bit impersonal Classic, early 20th century style - but needs to be refurbished as getting a bit tired to be honest (like many hotels in Spain due to the recession).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ICMadrid, Director General at InterContinental Madrid, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Skippy-rates,

Thank you very much for your comment shared on trip advisors.

Your opinion is vey important for us and will be taken into consideration. We would to share with you that we now updating our lobby and our gym has been completely refurbished some weeks ago.

Cali, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel in september, the hotel is very well located, just walking distance from Gregorio Marañon Metro Station, just one metro stop from the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium and very nice around.
Breakfast is very good and there are very good restaurants close by. Room was big enough, we got one with a huge balcony. Very clean and comfortable beds and pillows. We will stay here again when we visit Madrid again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ICMadrid, Director General at InterContinental Madrid, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Maria H,

We would like to thank you for sharing this experience on trip advisor.

We are very happy to know we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Have a great day,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here our last night in Madrid to make sure we were rested for the long trip home. The bed was very comfortable, and you get to pick your pillows. The bathtub was very relaxing. There was a little snack to greet us in the room. 20 euros for internet wasn't worth it for one night to me. My father in law recommended this hotel to us. The style fits him. We very much enjoyed watching the soccer match in the bar area and interesting tapas that come with the drinks. I would recommend this hotel for business, or if your main attraction is going to the stadium. You may get to see the visiting team as I did.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Phrogtours,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion on trip advisor.

Santiago Bernabeu is only 15 minutes walking from our hotel, also you have really near Museo Sorolla, or Serrano Street if you like go shopping.

We are looking forward to welcoming you very soon.

Manrique Rodriguez

Been to InterContinental Madrid? Share your experiences!