We arrived just before 8 in the evening to be told our room was not ready. Our cases were taken from us and we were offered a free drink while we waited. In 10 minutes we were told we could go to the room, expecting our cases to be there, but they were not. We waited a while but no sign so went back to reception to collect them. But no sign of them, we were told a porter would bring them up. Another wait. In all we did not get settled in until nearly 9pm.
The room itself was a disappointment. We had upgraded to get a larger room but there was a huge square pillar in the middle of the room ( see photo) which used up all the extra space. There was no bath despite the picture of the room type we chose on the website showing a bath. The tea/coffee making facilities are very poor - just ONE sachet of coffee between 2 of us, and 2 tea bags each day, also no milk or creamer sachets. We asked in reception for milk and they said they would send some up to us. It never came all weekend. However there was a letter pushed under the door later which said, strangely, that if we wanted milk we would have to ask for it at reception.
When we tried to use the pool the next day we were told it was only for "the level" guests ( a further upgrade) and that if we wanted to use it we would have to pay 19 euros each. You do expect to pay extra for spa treatments such as massages and we thought this is what the website referred to when it said extra charges apply, but just to use the rather small pool? What a rip off. We ate in the restaurant the first night which was very nice and good value at 18 euros each. Although when we came to pay the bill at the end of our stay they tried to over charge us for this.
We will not be coming back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Completely renovated in 2008 and located just steps away from Madrid main square Plaza de España, this modern Hotel offers spectacular views of the Royal Palace and Casa de Campo. Perfectly situated within walking distance of Gran Via, Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol and Madrid's main museums (Prado, Thyssen,...). In addition, a Metro stop can be found right at the entrance of the hotel allowing convenient travel to the airport or Madrid's main local attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Melia, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Escapio and Otel so you can book your Melia Madrid Princesa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Madrid Princesa Hotel Madrid
- Sol Melia Madrid Princesa