“Try and stay on the Level” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Princesa, 27, 28008 Madrid, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #55 of 458 Hotels in Madrid
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Try and stay on the Level”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

My wife and I spent two enjoyable days courtesy of a 2 nights for 1 birthday offer from SolMelia which cost us only 255 euros to stay on the Level, The Level has its own separate check-in and Celia was most helpful throughout our atay. The Level has its own separate 12th Floor and is open only for Monday to Friday stays. The room was very modernistic with beautiful light effects and also work stations for the laptop.

The bonuses to stay on the Level included free entrance to the Spa (not worth 17 euros a head otherwise), free wi-fi internet and a free full breakfast in the first floor restaurant.
With the level you also have your own very comfortable lounge where from 11.00-23.00
drinks (wine, beer, spirits, soft drinks - everything) are completely free and also tapas and small cakes are always available.

The breakfast while fine was a bit more like what you would expext in a 3 rather than a five star hotel. Service at the hotel was excellent with all the staff unfailingly helpful and polite. The hotel's location is excellent being a short walk to the Sol district and with a metro station right outside. Parking is difficult in the area but there is an underground car park at 24 euros per day right beside the hotel.

We would certainly stay here again if we got another good deal but not at the normal rates of around 210 euros a night for a standard room.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

My husband and I (and a friend and her husband) stayed at the Melia Madrid for two nights from 3/26/11 - 3/28/11 and loved it! The hotel is just beautiful with a wonderful lobby. The rooms were lovely and super clean with updated furniture and a wonderful, spacious bathroom. Only thing I wish is that they would have had a coffee maker in the room, which they did not. A short walk to Plaza de Espana and not too far from all the action of the Puerta del Sol - the square of all the action in Madrid with tons of restaurants and stores. You can find something for everyone here. We had breakfast at the hotel once and it was fantastic. Although a bit pricey at 25 Euros per person it is a wonderful all you can eat buffet with anything from lox and bagels, to made-to-order eggs, to yogurts and fresh fruit so worth it since you probably won't be hungry until dinner time after filling up on all the goodies there.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Zaragoza, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Spent a couple of nights in Madrid for a concert and chose another hotel from the Melia chain, my favourite when I’m travelling around Spain. As I have one of their MaS cards, I usually receive offers and email alerts, and this time the opportunity was too good to let it go: two nights for the price of one, bed and breakfast.
I chose the Melia Princesa out of convenience, actually, since it was relatively close to the concert venue. Of course, it being a 5 stars hotel was also taken into account...
The offer did not give us opportunity to choose the kind of room we wanted, so we had to settle for a standard. It was quite all right, though: big enough, modern furniture (with form over function at times, though: see the review where the guest complained about the shape of the faucets, spot on!!), king bed, nice and spacious bathroom with bathtub and shower... I think we were upgraded to one of the rooms on the top floors, since standard rooms don't often come with a view in the Melia chain, and ours had a nice one. Another advantage of the MaS card!
Buffet Breakfast was included in the price and was excellent, as is usually the trend with this chain. Of course, this time it was up to the hotel’s standard: fresh orange juice, ready made eggs, ready made pancakes... lots of meats (cold and hot) to choose from, smoked cod, smoked salmon, lots of fruits and such a wide range of food in general I didn't know where to start!
However, not everything was as good. I tend to rate hotels in TA according to my level of satisfaction, but also taking into account the category of the hotel. I had a just as good experience in the 3-stars hotel I stayed in when in Valencia, and a better one in the 4-stars hotel in Seville. In Melia Princesa, the room was clean but the walls were worn out, stained and chipped in some places; there was only one bathrobe and a pair of slippers in the room, even though they knew well in advance that we were two people; My mobile phone run out of power and they couldn’t provide me with a common and simple Nokia charger... while in the 3-stars hotel in Valencia they had a counter in the hall with several kinds of chargers for every brand. Customer service was cold at best: 5 stars should mean something more than just having a bellman to take your luggage to your room, I can do that myself, but I expect a kinder welcome in general. Smiling doesn’t hurt! This doesn't apply to the staff in the restaurant, however, who were all very nice and polite at all times.
The pros beat the cons anyway, and we had a pleasant stay as the bed was very comfy and, as I said, breakfast was excellent and the rates unbeatable. I tend to go to Madrid some times a year, so I think I will give this hotel another opportunity and next time I'll go for one of the premium rooms if I can.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights combining my husbands business with my pleasure. The staff were friendly and very helpful with restaurant recommendations and directions. The room was modern, clean bright with good decor, the bed was very comfy and internet was fast. The hotel is a great location moments away from the metro or walking distance from shops. The breakfast was very good and the bar was a nice place to meet in the evening before dinner. We would definitely stay there again when in Madrid. It is very good value for money.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
MeliaMadridPrincesa, Revenue Manager at Melia Madrid Princesa, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
Dear CamLovesSun,

It is always a pleasure to receive a review from an usual tripadvisor community member like you, so we thank you very much for spend some time to give us your feedback.

We are glad to read that everything was fine during your stay and that our Hotel met your high expectations. It will be a pleasure for us to have you again in our property, and we will try to do our best to ensure you a even more pleasant experience.

Best regards,

Pablo Torreira
Revenue Manager
Indore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and liked the stay. The hotel is just 10-15 min walk from Gran Via the major shopping and entertainment district of Madrid. The hotel itself is located on a busy street so conveyance is not a problem and supermarkets and many restaurants are right on the doorstep.

We took the Guest Level Room which had special check-in desk and some extra services, including one free service at the spa. However, the day we reached it was closed and we paid for nothing. They checked us in in the normal reception area and spa was also not available. So that was a waste. But otherwise the rooms were good, not very spacious but decently decorated with plush-looking interiors. Bathroom was good and they provided Etro toiletories.

Service was good, the housekeeping shuts in the night, but we needed some stuff and the staff happily helped us.

Overall would recommend this hotel, has good interiors and good service.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Palo Alto, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

Other hotels in Madrid must be fantastic if this hotel did not make it to the top 10. I had a great time there last week. The first thing you notice is that the design is very modern, both in the lobby and in the rooms. While some people may find it "different" I found it a refreshing change from the standard chain business hotels.
The room was very well equipped and very quiet. I do not know how they succeed in making it so quiet when the location is so central.
Reception people were particularly friendly and did not hesitate to give recommendations on where to go and how to get there.
Breakfast is great - my favorites were the paella and the fresh cheese.
The location is at one extreme of the center. On my day off I took the metro (which is fantastic) to the other extreme to begin my explorations slowly making my way back by foot, ending back at the hotel in the evening.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

I love Spain for its expressive and artistic nature, however, when it extends to my hotel, I'm not so sure I'm on board. Our room--very modern, but figuring out the lights is a challenge-the switches are incomprehensible--bathroom lights come on and go off on some sensor. Temperature is a mystery--cold-hot-cold-hot. Open a window.

Four mornings of construction next door--in the echo chamber between the buildings--who needs a wake-up call? Do workers work on Sundays, too? Andale.

Form over function--stop reading if you're sensitive....the bidet should have a stream of water, er, but in the Melia, the spigot, however, curved and attractive, points down. Wha? Thus, the bidet is a semi-functional foot washer, not a functioning bidet.

The same goes for the washbowls--it's really hard to get two hands under the curved chrome of the faucet--looks great, doesn't, er, function.

The bellman uses his whistle to call taxis starting at 5:00 a.m. Thank goodness we didn't face the street, but, the echo chamber between the buildings wasn't much better.

Last, but certainly not least--we went to the bar for a nightcap our last night in Madird--Carlos de Miguel, the young, and Pablo, the old, treated us like lepers. Not a word. Not a kind inquiry, nada. Apparently they are more interested in the other four local customers rather than their international guests. Hello, I speak Spanish fluently, senores.

Not for gringos, barely for the discerning traveler, not matter the price. Adios!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Melia Madrid Princesa? Share your experiences!