“NICE HOTEL A BIT OUT IN THE STICKS” 3 of 5 stars

Confortel Pio XII
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida de Pio XII 77, 28016 Madrid, Spain   |
Ranked #266 of 457 hotels in Madrid
uk
“NICE HOTEL A BIT OUT IN THE STICKS”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

This hotel is for business people and caters for the weekender vacationer,and it does this very well,room is about 60 euro and 8 euros each for an excellent breakfast.
The room contained 2 single beds a large flat screen tv,minibar air-conditioning and an ethernet port for the internet.it was a large room and fairly well decor wise.
The hotel contains a cafeteria, with a bar and a full service restaurant {which was closed}
the cafeteria food was sampled and was good.
the only problem with this hotel is its location,its about 2 and a half blocks or a 10 minute walk from the metro {PIO X11} if you walk a little further you will find an array of eating options we tried the Thai restaurant and it was ace.
The hotel does securely look after you baggage in case you have a late flight home again you can get to the airport direct from the nearest metro about 6 stops or a direct taxi to the hotel about 25-30 euro. all in all a good base for a quick break in Madrid but would probably find a closer downtown hotel next time

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

The hotel was easy to walk to from the metro station (Duque de Pastrana) which was only ~20 minutes on the metro from Barajas airport. The surrounding area was not that scenic and was not touristy, but this was not an issue as getting the metro into central Madrid to see the sights was easy. The perk of the location for us, was that Chamartin station was very close 10 minute walk and we had a catch a very early train.

The reception staff were very friendly, efficient and spoke very good English. There was free Wi-Fi in the hotel and also two computers available in reception to use the internet for free.

The decor and furniture in the room was modern and in good condition, and also very clean. There was a little fridge in the room with free bottles of water and was big enough for us to keep our picnic food in. The room was a good size and the bathroom larger than expected.

When checking out, we were running very late and the reception staff were again very helpful in calling us a taxi and were in general very friendly and kind. I was very impressed with all of them!

I highly recommend this hotel, with the only negative point being the long-ish distance from the centre (but still only 20 minutes on the metro). I would definitely use this hotel again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Traveling on this trip was just me and my best friend. We pick this hotel solely on price and the reviews from trip advisor. The service at the hotel was very good. All the staff spoke English and was very pleasant and helpful. Our room was clean but small. My reservation said that I would have two queen size beds, but was shocked to learn that they do not have any rooms with two queen size beds. I was given two twins very reminiscent to my college dorm days. The bathroom was a nice size very clean but our shower had a leak at the base of the tub. This was not able to be fixed at the time so we just soaked it up with towels. If you plan on watching any T.V all the channels are in Spanish. I bought my portable DVD player and attached it to the TV in the room. Also an iron is not available in the room. You can send your clothes out to be iron on the weekdays for a fee. We bought an iron form Alcampo for about 11 Euros. Also there is a restaurant in the hotel; I ate the breakfast there once. I did not like it. It was a buffet mostly meats (which I do not eat), croissants, breads, cheeses, cereal, yogurt and fruit. It does cost, but I was never charged for it so I guess I can’t complain.
The location was relatively good depending on what you want. It was located in the commercial district 15min from the airport by taxi about 10 by metro. The city centre was 25-30 min by metro. The metro stop is about an 8 min walk away. Also the 150 bus stop right outside the hotel which also takes you to the city centre. I never used it because the metro was so convenient. I mastered the metro in 2days. There is an Alcampo (reminds me of a Wal-Mart) that is about a 10 min walk away. We bought a few groceries juice, fruit etc... To keep in our refrigerator. Not too far from Alcampo is Plaza de Peru there are a lot of restaurants, bars and shopping located here. Ginos is a restaurant I suggest you try. Very good Italian food, reasonable prices and the staff is very friendly.
Things that I really enjoyed while I was there was the Prado museum, Plaza mayor, Mercado San Miguel (Metro line 2,3,&10 stop SOL) El Rastro Flea market(only on Sunday)metro line 5 stop Puerta del Toledo), The Zoo and Aquarium (metro line 10 stop is Casa de Campo) , The amusement park (Metro line 10 the stop is Batan ). I also recommend the Madrid card for 72 hours. Look it up to see all the perks. Hope this help. Enjoy Spain:)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

This hotel was very comfortable and attractive. The only drawback is that it is a little far from downtown, but only about three or four blocks from the nearest Metro station (use Pio XII station, though the map on the hotel website suggests that Parque des Duques is closer, it is harder to orient yourself from there to find the hotel). The breakfast (additional charge and optional) was very good for about 8 or 9 Euro. And fee wifi!!! The neighborhood is a mini-embassy row, so it isn't very busy after business hours, but it felt very safe even when coming back late at night. Lots of ATMs between the hotel and the Metro, too, and a convenient Al Campo (think WalMart) at the Metro station. No swimming pool was a drawback.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
rome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

I was invited to a 3 days conference which took place in Confortel Pio XII hotel so I've decided to stay there at least for these 3 nights. My impression on the hotel is very good. First of all I must say I was very lucky to find a room on these days (well I guess I organized it quite a while before) but the price was very attractive (I booked it on Easy Click web site) and I actually spend much less than I thought I'd spend. Considering the hotel's amenities, indeed it was surprising. I can say only good things about the hotel: It is nicely designed, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the service is satisfying. Though It is not situated in the center of town I see it as an advantage.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

Stayed in this beautiful city for only 4 days at the Confortel Pio XII Hotel. The hotel was very comfortable, clean and accessible being only 15 minutes from the airport and having excellent transportation links to get you to and from the sights. There is a bus stop located outside the hotel and the Metro station (the Tube) is about an 8 minute walk.

There is also a supermarket located near the Metro Station (Pio XII) which sells just about everything at a reasonable price.

Really enjoyed my stay, the shopping down Sol and Arenal is excellent (stocked up on some winter boots at Esteve) which worked at cheaper than buying them in London. The only thing that put a dampener on things was that I fell victim to a pick pocketer (make sure you wear your rucksack on your chest rather than your back as that is a dead give away that you are a tourist). The police were excellent in furnishing me with the telephone numbers for my credit cards (apparently this is a common occurance in this part of the city). Don't let this put you off ... go visit Madrid as you will have a wonderful time.

Will definitely re-visit this city in the near future.

Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

1.Stuff ok, when u need some help they are there to provide it.
2. Room was large enough, very very clean, bathroom as well very clean...
3. Breakfast was a typicall spanish one(I guess) and was more than enough for anyone.
4. In front of the hotel runs 2 buses : 16 and 150. The last one takes u in abt 30-40 mins right in Puerta del Sol (between buses u have to wait abt 10- 20 mins).
5. Abt 5 mins walking from the hotel there's a metro station called PIO XII (which is nearer) ; abt 8 mins from hotel there's Duque de Pastrana metro station. U are on metro line 9, and u have to change the line if u want to go in the city centre. BUT...the metro organization is so so so good and the maps u can take from any metro office so clear...u cant lose urself. But u will have to reserve abt 30 mins to arrive in Sol as well.
6. Abt 10-15 mins walking distance from the hotel there a supermarket called AlCampo(I believe it belongs to Auchan hipermarket) and the prices are decent in there.
7.Go visit Madrid...its such a beautiful city....

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Confortel Pio XII? Share your experiences!