“Great vintage style hotel” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Velazquez 8, 28001 Madrid, Spain (Barrio de Salamanca)   |
Ranked #33 of 453 Hotels in Madrid
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Great vintage style hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Pool was great. If you like the vintage, traditional style approach to hotel services this is for you.
Great location near Retiro Park with quick easy access to airport, yet still centrally located. Lovely up-scale neighborhood to walk around in for shopping and restaurants. Saff was very helpful and I greatly appreciated an extended check out time as I had a 6PM flight.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Carlos S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Guest, Many thanks for taking your time in sharing your experience at Wellington Hotel through Tripadvisor.We are very happy to know that you spent a wonderful time in the Hotel and you enjoyed our service and location. Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future. Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Turkish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Firstly I think it's good to know the person behind the review and reason for travel, I am 35 and took my girlfriend to madrid for 3 nights at beginning of August as a surprise for our anniversary.

I looked on various websites to find the best deal and as I booked late the hotels website had the best price with a deal saving 15%, didn't include breakfast but wasn't fussed about that. Did ask when we got there how much to upgrade for breakfast but at €27.50 each it was never worth it!

When I booked I couldn't decide between standard or paying €90 euro more for updated decor of superior, decided to wait till we got there and asked to see both. The standard had a lovely balcony overlooking the pool, the superior had a small window facing the road, bathrooms were the same and we quite liked chic styling of standard, so standard and balcony it was saving €90.

I looked at various hotels, but chose Wellington purely for outdoor pool and spa, forecast was 30 degrees and thought it would be nice to have some time chilling by pool. However, as it's between buildings only part of the pool ever gets the sun, didn't open till 10.30, pool was too cold and not enough beds (you need to get there early). Plus outdoor jacuzzi was only working for one day.

Staff as you'd expect in a 5 star hotel were great and sorted our restaurant for anniversary meal. Only English Channel in rooms was news, all doom and gloom and to hire a movie was a rip off €15.

Finally and to end on a good note, our flight wasn't until 5.30pm and check out was 12, when I phoned up without prompting she asked if we wanted a late check out, 1-1.30pm at no charge which was great as we could relax by pool, if only we could find a sun lounger in the sun!!

Like I said, lovely hotel and staff, good location and with a few small changes could be even better.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Andrew, we truly appreciate your time in sending a detailed feedback on your thoughts and experience regarding your stay at Hotel Wellington. In addition, we would like to thank you for choosing us in such a special date for you. We will take note of your observations to try and improve our service, and we would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced regarding the pool. Looking forward to welcome you again. Kind Regards.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a superb location, 5 minute walk from Retiro park and Place Independance. Only down side, the pool was not open until 10am. I had planned on a pre breakfast swim every day and it wasn't possible. Sometimes a bit crowded with children who were generally considerate but one or two of them just jumped in regardless, almost hitting me on some occasions but this wasn't the fault of the hotel. Did swim every evening before the pool closed at 8, not a huge pool but quite adequate. Breakfast was wonderful as were all the staff, would definitely recommend this hotel. We did go into the Club room on the 7th floor (our suite was almost next to it) and it was comfy and cool after a hot day sight seeing.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Miss Claire, thank you so much for taking your time in sharing your experience with us. Regarding your comment about the pool, we truly apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you. However, we are glad you enjoyed your overall stay and our facilities. Kind Regards.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We have been to this hotel many times and it has always been a pleasant experience. The rooms are a great size, very luxurious. The hotel has great restaurants especially the Japanese one! For breakfast the churros are always amazing, and the gym at the hotel has great facilities!

Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest, It is a pleasure to read such a wonderful comment about our hotel. We are glad you are a frequent customer and that our services meet your needs everytime you choose us. This motivates us to continue giving a 5 star service and great customer care. Thank you for your time and for sharing with us your experience. We look forward to welcoming you again. Best Regards.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

First of all, if you are reading this you know what a beautiful hotel the Wellington is, and you know that it's location ext to Retiro Park is perfect. What I want to let everyone know is how amazing the staff really was. We had two issues come up and without the help of the staff, I am not things would have worked out as well as they did.

First, my wife and I had planned to visit Madrid for a few days and then take a train to Sevilla to continue our vacation. I had purchased the train tickets ahead of time but stupid me, I left the tickets back in the States. Unable to just print off another set of tickets, I had to go through the process of getting a refund on my existing tickets and buying new ones. I tried to do all of this on my own on my computer but kept getting frustrated. So, I visited the front desk and told them of my dilemma. They asked for my itinerary and told me they would handle the booking for me. So, I went out sightseeing and came back that evening to an envelope of train tickets for the rest of my vacation. I was amazed and so very thankful for their help. They definitely saved our vacation from almost disaster. Thank you!!!

Second, the night before we were leaving for Sevilla, we were coming in from sightseeing, and the first desk clerk stopped us. They knew we were leaving the next morning. They advised that a taxi strike was starting the next morning and we would not be able to get a taxi to the train station. They helped us schedule a private car service as the train station is a bit far to walk with a lll of our luggage. Had they not stopped and told us, we would have been in serious trouble the next morning. So, thank you soooo much for going above and beyond.

There, my two cents. A great hotel with great staff!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Carlos S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Guest, Greetings from Madrid and thank you for having chosen our hotel as residence during your stay this summer. It is always a pleasure to read that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The hotels location is great and it is easy to get around.
The 7th floor lounge is beautiful with terraces to enjoy the sun. Found the food selection limited.
Breakfast was amazing.
The room was a good size.
The only downside was the pool-there were no many spaces. We had to wait for a sun lounge as all were occupied.
The spa seemed overpriced relative to similar hotels in madrid

Room Tip: 7th floor's rooms are great
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your nice feedback and feelings about the Hotel. We are pleased to have met your expectations. Regarding to your comment about the swimmig pool área, we really apologize for any inconvenience caused. Looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future. Best regards.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Charming older hotel, in a beautiful and quiet neighbourhood. Rooms are not that big, but they are very comfortable and well equipped. Try and get breakfast included, as it is sumptuous and very enjoyable before a day exploring the City. The (posh) local neighbourhood has some upmarket bars and restaurants, the Park is just over the road and the centre of town about 20mins walk or 5mins in a cab/metro. We were there for a wedding so did not get to explore the hotel in depth, but I'd thoroughly recommend it and would happily stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Many thanks for taking your time in sharing your experience at Wellington Hotel through Tripadvisor.We are very happy to know that you spent a wonderful time in the Hotel and you enjoyed all our rooms, breakfast and location, nearby all the boutiques and restaurants. Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future. Best regards,

Been to Wellington Hotel? Share your experiences!