“Your standard international 4 stars (and that's not a bad thing)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ayre Gran Hotel Colon

Save Saved
You added Ayre Gran Hotel Colon to your Saves list
Ayre Gran Hotel Colon
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Pez Volador 1-11 | Av del Doctor Esquerdo 117-119, 28007 Madrid, Spain (Retiro)   |
Ranked #144 of 456 hotels in Madrid
Rome, Italy
“Your standard international 4 stars (and that's not a bad thing)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Spent here a couple of days. It's a fairly large hotel, well connected with the rest of the city via the nearby underground (accessible from the street also with an elevator, if one spend a bit of time to look for it), with a techno-stylish look.

If you are lucky and you get a room at the high floors you get, as an added bonus, a nice view of the city at night. The room I got was not particularly large, but the bed were firms and comfortable and the bathroom was huge. Air conditioning helped a lot in the Spanish august.

The desk personnel was very professional and most of them spoke fluently at least 3 languages, however they were not particularly helpful when a mix-up was discovered between the booking with the italian agency (which included breakfast) and the one they had received (which didn't). I never found out who was at fault, but the end result was that I didn't try the breakfast (at another hotel, when the same thing happened, the hotel offered complimentary breakfast and supposedly dealt with the agency directly, rather than telling me to deal with them).

The bar/lounge looked quite good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ayre Hoteles A, SocialMedia Manager at Ayre Gran Hotel Colon, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guido,

We take this opportunity to thank you for giving us feedback on your stay and suggestions that communicates; many thanks for your kind words.
As indicated in the comments about your stay we have not met this premise and please accept our apologies
Thank you for helping us to improve!

We hope to see you again.

787 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Lumezzane, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I really enjoyed my staying in this hotel. Room was very cleaned, modern and with everything you need from a 4 star hotel. I have nothing to complain about. It is a bit far from the center but it was not a problem for me as i was there for a swimming competition and the pool was very close to the hotel. Anyway there is a metro stop nearby and you can reach the center quickly.

Room Tip: High floors
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Ayre Hoteles A, SocialMedia Manager at Ayre Gran Hotel Colon, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Melzago,

Thanks so much for your comment, and thanks again for the pics.
Your words encourage us to continue working with enthusiasm to achieve our main objetive: "that our customers have happy experiences at our hotels."
Hope to see you again,

Lake Macquarie, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The exterior of the hotel is a little dated but inside it was obvious that a tasteful re-vamp had occurred. The hotel has two accommodation towers on two different streets but each tower is linked by an internal corridor which sadly makes no obvious allowance for people with accessibility issues. We checked in at the first tower to find our room was in the second tower. Moving 4 large bags to another building with stairs in between was a challenge. Our room was sleek and modern but compact and once again finding a place for 4 bags was difficult without tripping over them. The bed was firm. The bathroom was spacious and well-appointed. We observed that the room and the corridors needed a good vacuum clean and this did not occur in the first week we were there and had not been rectified when we returned for our second stay a couple of weeks later. The room we were given for our second stay was much larger and appointed similarly to the first. Each tower had its own breakfast room and the offerings were adequate and enjoyable. The -1 level, tower 2 restaurant we used most of the time seemed understaffed and on a couple of days when multiple tour groups arrived they struggled to cope. The restaurant in the first tower was much more upmarket and the breakfast choice was excellent. The fixed price buffet lunch in this restaurant should not be missed. Access to Madrid City is either by cab or the frequent public bus service. The bus stop is about 5 minutes from the hotel. For those inclined to travel on foot the city is about a 45 minute leisurely walk from the hotel via the magnificent town park. Overall it was a pleasant stay helped considerably by the pleasant front desk staff in the hotel. A couple of convenience stores nearby were handy for beverages, etc and a number of nearby restaurants provided options in dining.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in tower 1
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JANDK2265

Thanks for your kind words about Ayre Gran Hotel Colón.
We will continue to strive and putting forward in our work so that our guests leave satisfied. We welcome your constructive comments and suggestions that gives us
Hoping to have you back with us soon
We remain at your disposal
Best regards,

Reuver, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

As the title suggests, my stay at this hotel was actually quite pleasant, however there just HAD to be a catch after all was said and checked-out-done. My room was great, the bed was comfortable, the shower had good pressure and temperature. They brought my breakfast up to my room for a meager charge of (I believe) EUR 2.50 and I could ask for whatever I wanted and it was included with the breakfast booked with my room (I'm a breakfast-in-the-room aficionado, so they scored points with me here!) . The staff was very nice and all spoke English, which isn't a given in Spain, THANKFULLY since my Spanish is atrocious! BUT here comes the catch: I was dumb and left my perfume in my room. Upon emailing them to ask about if they found it and how I might have it shipped to me, I was kindly informed that they had, indeed, found my perfume, and if I would provide my address & credit card details, it would be 50 Euros for them to ship it to me within the EU. 50 EUROS!!!!! What? I was with a group that filled 23 rooms there and they want to charge a good customer (albeit a forgetful one) that much to ship a little bottle? Well, I'm even more annoyed with myself, but I find this ridiculous for shipping within the European Union. Sorry, amigos, but this tainted my stay and needless to say, next time my large group comes to town, we'll be looking elsewhere for accommodations. :-( There was also the fact that their restaurant (not where breakfast is served) was absolutely filthy, the waitresses ignored us and a ham sandwich was an outrageous EUR 15.00)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ayre Hoteles A, SocialMedia Manager at Ayre Gran Hotel Colon, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear AM S,

First of all, thank so much for your kind words. As indicated in the comments about your stay we have not met this premise and firstly please accept our apologies.
The Price are fixed by Courier company, we don't profit with the service.
Hope to see you again,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Bought package from groupon. Was surprised to be placed so far out from the center city after our request was for old city. a groupon bait and switch, as usual. Real problem is that even tho metro is close, it takes one or 2 transfers to get anywhere. Breakfast was ok tho fewer offerings than advertised and fried eggs were burnt crispy. No other egg choices. Plenty of flavorless fruit. coffee was cold. Great if you like a lot of meat for breakfast. Rooms are tiny. No tub. Beds are European firm, which we like. No view whatsoever tho we seemed to get poorer service traveling as a woman with my son. Seems best as a business hotel. Retiro park is 2 long blocks away but lovely. If you don't mind walking a ton, this hotel would be ok. Overall, would never recommend.

• Stayed June 2013
Ayre Hoteles A, SocialMedia Manager at Ayre Gran Hotel Colon, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

We regret that the stay has not fulfilled expectations.
We take note of all the comments about the hotel, and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay pleasant and comfortable, as one of our company policy is to create happy experiences.

Socialmedia Manager
Fgura, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

1) Aircondition does its work good.
2) Fridge was very useful and had free bottle of water
3) It is modern and very near to metro, bus.
4) Corridors are with fitted carpets.
5) Nice bathroom.
6) Free wifi in room
7) Porter was really helpful and friendly
8) have coffee machine in lobby
9) have pillow menu

Bad points:-

1) To use common computer in lobby is too expensive. 3 euro for 15min.
2) I wished that the reception staff would have been more helpful on booking a train ticket by themselves, I would have had appreciated a lot!
3) Window does not open.
4) Had problems with the door key card for several times

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JP,

Fist of all, thanks so much for your kind words.
Windows does not open by security, but if you want, you can call at reception and they can open it for you.
Sorry for the inconvenience about your key card.
hope to see you again.

We are at your disposal.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We have stayed here twice most recently a week or so ago. We echo other comments, the hotel is well situated in a residential area yet the number 20 bus only takes 15 mins to the Puerto Sol area in the city centre. The bus to the airport is only a 20 minute journey. There are restaurants locally and it is a great spot. The café attached to the hotel serves good basic breakfasts and is open until late. The hotel is very modern and clean and the staff on the reception are well mannered and helpful by Spanish standards. The hotel is well priced indeed excellent compared to say London or Paris or even Madrid hotels with good sized rooms all modern and clean.

Room Tip: This time we found our room was a twin very clean, good size, excellent shower etc but we preferred...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Customer:
We appreciate your kind comments about your stay at the Ayre Gran Hotel Colon.
His words encourage us to continue working with enthusiasm to achieve our main objective: "that our customers have happy experiences in our hotels."
We look forward your next visit.
We remain at your disposal
Best regards,

SocialMedia Manager

Been to Ayre Gran Hotel Colon? Share your experiences!