“Close to the airport but far from city centre or metro” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Avenida America

You added Melia Avenida America to your Saves list
Melia Avenida America
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Juan Ignacio Luca de Tena 36 | SALIDA 8 DE LA A-II ( autop. Barcelona), 28027 Madrid, Spain (San Blas)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
up to -15% MeliáRewards
Ranked #254 of 453 Hotels in Madrid
Dublin, Ireland
“Close to the airport but far from city centre or metro”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Slightly disappointed with the overall experience.. at check in the staff was polite but cold, they gave me the smallest room in the 5th floor, very hot and the AC did not work... I complained and got an upgrade for 30€ to a suit that was the only available, the size was 5 times the previous room... no comparison... but I had to complain and waist 45min of my time, and begin my experience with a negative vibe...
Dinner a the restaurant was good, a bit pricy but good quality and the staff was grand. However the chairs for the kid of restaurant were very uncomfortable.

The gym experience wasn't any better... to get in I had to go looking for the staff.. and they gave me a pass code to get in... making things more difficult the changing rooms worked with a coin.. which I didn't have and I had to go out to ask for a coin to use the lockers... thankfully the staff from the bar let me a coin....
I was not very much invited to use the SPA, the staff told me " well you have to pay " like I was a homeless or something that I could not afford 15€ for the SPA... so that also put me off a bit.... I didn't find the girl at the Gym/SPA very helpful to say the least...

The breakfast buffet was pretty good, good spread and nice staff, however they could clean the tables at a faster pace...

Summarising.. if you're looking for a place with connections to the city centre, this is not your place, there are taxis all the time that will take you there for 20€.
The staff is a but cold and not very welcoming.
I will look for somewhere else when I go back to Madrid and I would not recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: suits always better, never on the 5th floor on summer... to hot !!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
JOCALBLAN, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Avenida America, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Customer,

We really appreciate your time for placing your comments on Tripadvisor and we feel that your stay with us has not fulfilled your expectations.
Your comments are really much appreciated! Honestly, your experience helps us to improve our standards & services and this will be improved.
Thanks and warm regards.

maria.jose.calvo@melia.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We use to stay in this Hotel that is 15min from Airport. Great Gym and SPA. Excellent breakfast and kind staff. Taxi always ready just outside of the Hotel entrance. For sure one of the best choice for business trip in Madrid.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
we appreciate your comments on Tripadvisor and good to hear that you had a nice stay with us. We would love to welcome you back and meet you personally!

Best regards,

Maria.jose.calvo@melia.com
French Riviera
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I crashed in this hotel because my flight was delayed by 15 hours, and the airline provided me this accommodation to survive the night, and I was quite pleased with the result.
Rooms are great, staff friendly, and breakfast OK, although nothing exceptional presented.

I however regret that the 'spa' (involving the pool) is not included in the price of the room. Maybe it's not so bad after all, because you end up having the place for yourself, but some elements seemed not to function.

Keep in mind the hotel is quite far from the city center, so it's more for business oriented activities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
MARIA J, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Avenida America, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your experience in our hotel during your stay.
We take note of your observations and you can be sure that we will work to improve the quality of the services provided.

Yours Sincerely

Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights. Whilst convenient for the large congress centre, it's quite a bit outside the city. Factor 45 minutes to an hour to get downtown in the morning. I asked for a quiet room and was given a room with a window that was about 80 cm wide. The bed was perfectly comfortable and the room clean, but overall the experience was uninspiring. Staff polite but not particularly warm. There was a courtyard which was nice for lunch or a drink in the evening, but the food itself wasn't great. Impossible to get a good cup of tea in the meeting rooms. Water tepid at its best. I believe there are some renovations going on which should do the place good. Wifi connections were fine. No hair conditioner in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a proper window!
Dear Customer,

I would like to thank you having taken some of your valuable time to send us your comments and to choosing our hotel for you stay.
Emails such as yours are of the greatest assistance for us to taking whatever corrective measures may be necessary. I note, with pleasure, all that you write in the e-mail.

Best Regards

Dereham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

It's location is ideal for the Exhibition centre, and with a shuttle bus for the airport, it's handy enough there as well. The Rooms are very good standard, quite large and well appointed, BUT, do not bother trying to eat there - food is not good enough. Try the cheap italian diner opposite, half the price and significantly better quality. Staff are fairly unapproachable, both in reception and in the bar area, and the pianist in the bar needs to be replaced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Miguel B, Director of Sales at Melia Avenida America, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
we really appreciate taking your time and giving us your impression of our Hotel, generally seen, good. The comments given will help us in order update and report these inconveniences to our different departments so we may offer a better service.
Again, we really appreciate your time taken and would love to welcome you back.

All best,

Miguel Benitez
Funchal, Portugal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stay one week at this hotel. I was attending a several day course. The room was spacious, the microphone's sound and image projection was good. Lunch was terrible, the meat choice was always chicken for 6 days, and most of the ingredients seemed canned! At coffebreaks we had only pastry choices, cookies, no sandwiches or fruit... All the persons whom I spoke with were very dissapointed with this hotel... I am a good eater and it was hard for me to choose what to eat from the breakfast buffet, there were a lot of choices but none were healthy, and they use names of well known brands in similar products such as "Nutela" (swiss chocolate brand), "Chocapic" cereals from Nestle and when you eat it you find out that it is not what it was suppose to be! The room service menu was very poor, I went to the nearest supermarket and had cereals with milk for dinner after 3 days of bad/wrong choices! Even the spanish tortilla seemed like an omelet!
The reception made everything they could to help but unfortunately it is hard for me to write a positive review... Only 2 people spoke english, so every time I wanted something they would pass my call several times o different people. I had spoken to the hotel before booking and that they had insured me that they would provide soup for my baby if I ask the day before, so I did. Next day I called and asked for a soup and I waited for 40 minutes when I called the bar they said that they had no order and that they could not do a different soup for the baby... I think that this hotel isn't corresponding to the Melia legacy! The sales manager was very nice and I have no complain about his quick replies but I gave up on telling him how wrong everything was because I didn't even know were to start!
I should have given up my stay there when I arrived and waited from 10h30 until 13h30 for my room, they changed my room number twice and when I finally open the door I was impressed how big it was, nicely decorated BUT it was a smoking room (I think, because there was an ashtray and it was smelling very very badly) Not a good choice to stay with a newborn, don't you think!! I called the reception but I had to wait for another room because they were fully booked, Once again I gave up... The positive aspects were the bed, the room was big and it was silent during the day and night time, but there are hotels next to this one like Andaluz or others were your stay will be nicer. I should have paid more attention to the other reviews I read but I thought people were being too peaky!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MARIA J, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Avenida America, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear customer,

The answer, a this written letter, will receive it via email.

Aachen, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel multiple times due to its proximity to my company. For the amount it charges, the hotel provides good value for money. Internet is for free. The rooms are nice.

What I do not like are the elevators which are ancient! They should be replaced.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MARIA J, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Avenida America, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel during your stay in Madrid, we appreciate it.
I take good note about the suggestion that you make us regarding the hotel elevators, however, I inform you that we are taking, at this moment, the steps and corrective measures to change them.
Thank you for your interest in our hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Guest Experience Manager

Been to Melia Avenida America? Share your experiences!