“The rudest hotel staff I've ever experienced: avoid this hotel like the plague” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Tryp Madrid Ambassador

You added Tryp Madrid Ambassador to your Saves list
Tryp Madrid Ambassador
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cuesta de Santo Domingo 5, 28013 Madrid, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #104 of 457 Hotels in Madrid
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have never been so insulted by hotel staff in my many years of travel.It's one thing to have bad service, and quite another to actually be insulted by a hotel concierge. Let me explain: on arrival I checked in with a black-haired lady with really pretty poor English (who insisted on speaking to me in English, even though I spoke to her in Spanish) with an exceptionally unfriendly manner. She didn't explain key things about the hotel, such as internet use and seemed really annoyed if you asked her. "Ok. Whatever", thought I: It's not the first time I've come across grumpy hotel staff. But she did ask if I wanted a breakfast deal, which I took. I was staying for four nights. The first morning, I went down for breakfast and my mane was on the breakfast list. The second, I had to sign a form and was told that the full charge (as opposed to the reduced price) would be billed to my room. So I decided that I wouldn't take breakfast for the further couple of days, since I had reasonably inferred that the breakfast deal had only applied to the first day (and the full price breakfast is pretty expensive). When I checked out, I was billed for four breakfasts (at full price). Naturally, I explained how I had only been to two. The aforementioned dark-haired lady intervened, and spoke in Spanish to the guy I was checking out with. I guess she stupidly thought that I wouldn't understand, but since I can speak Spanish I could: she called me very offensive names (the basic gist was that I was a thief) in a really mean and nasty way. The guy then charged me only three breakfast as a compromise. I was so shocked at being so insulted, and I had a plane to catch, that I took the compromise and left the hotel. I will never go back. I will advise my travel agent (Iberia Viajes) never to use this hotel again either. The hotel has many other less-than-ideal properties, but I won't highlight them here: that a given hotel can have such a rude and aggressive person among its staff should already tell you all you need to know about it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Javier H, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Ambassador, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Sir/Madame:
First of all I would like to thank you for a having taken the time to share your experience at Tryp Ambassador. Your comments are value information for us because indicate what are our weaknesses.
We are committed to you and certainly you deserve better – a lot better – from us in your last stay. Nothing is more important than regaining your trust and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you to Tryp Ambassador again soon and provide you the positive Tryp Experience you have come to expect from us.
We have taken the corrective steps through an appropriate training given by the Front Desk Manager.
Your comments are going to be addressed in the weekly department meeting and we are convinced that this situation will not reoccur.
Thank you once again for your comments and we will be glad to see you at any of the more than 330 hotels from Melia Hotels International.
Please accept our sincere apologies
Javier Huertas Morales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We paid for a room in TRYP Madrid Gran Via as early as june -july so as to be able to to be in the midst of all the excitement of Gran Via but what we got when we arrived after a tedious 12 hour flight late in the evening-9pm- of 8th sept 2012 was a summary shift to another TRYP hotel- Ambassador a little away from where the action was.That this hotel was a four star property and they paid for the cab to take us there was another matter.We were told our room was not available because the previous occupants had missed their flight and couldn't be moved.What could we do ? We were too tired to argue and stayed there for the duration of our stay.But it must be said the staff at Ambassador were very nice and helpful but all the same we were not on the Gran Via!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Folkestone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Not the best night's sleep - we had a 2nd floor suite on an outside corner opposite a couple of bars. Other than that, great location, clean and comfortable room, friendly and helpful staff, fantastic breakfast and a parrot called Alora - what more could you want?

Room Tip: try for an inside room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is a very good quality hotel, extremely well-placed for visiting the whole of west-central Madrid. I endorse what others have said about the choice and quality for breakfast. Our 5th floor room was spacious - but the air conditioning had to be tamed. The hotel is in a quiet location, but only 100m from the Metro (Santo Domingo), or inexpensive taxis outside. There is every style of restaurant nearby in Pza Isobel II and adjacent streets. Recommend you take a special gin-and-tonic in the Mini-bar right across the road!
The Palace is only 500m to the west [and don't ignore the new Almudena Cathedral - city and mountains view from the dome], We much enjoyed seeing the sights and walking the 'back streets' between the hotel to La Latina and Puerta Del Sol.

Room Tip: No advantage to have a street view on the front - nearest to lifts is noisier.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Lovely hotel. Rooms are spacious, staff are friendly, helpful and speak English quite well. Breakfast was in a great room, well appointed. Plenty of food and good quality. The Tryp Ambassador is well located in Madrid surrounded by wonderful Tapas Bars. The Metro is nearby and is quite easy to use. The only downside is that not all rooms have an iron and an ironing board, you have to be in a more expensive room for that!Overall, though, very good and good value for money

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Tryp Ambassador for 3 nights in late April, 2012. We found the hotel to be well-situated and within walking distance of many sights. It is located near the Royal Palace, Plaza Mayor, Puerto del Sol, and the Gran Via, as well as subway stations.

In our opinion, this hotel is comparable to a Holiday Inn. We had a large, quiet room on the 6th floor facing a courtyard. The room needed to be freshened up and re-painted. The staff was helpful.

The breakfast was good, with a large slection of foods.

Room Tip: We were originally placed in a room next to an alley, which was noisy. We asked to be moved and were...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The stay at the hotel was great: the service was excellent, it was well located in the centre of the Madrid of the Austrians and the instalations (bar, self-service buffet,...) met also our expectatives.
The only thing, which was not as good as the others were the bathrooms. In our opinion they were two small in comparison with the big room. It would be better to enlarge a little bit the bathrooms by reducing a little the room, which still continuous to be very spacious.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Tryp Madrid Ambassador? Share your experiences!