“One of few options for families” 3 of 5 stars

Palafox Central Suites
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Calle Palafox 7, 28004 Madrid, Spain   |
Ranked #39 of 350 Specialty Lodging in Madrid
los angeles
“One of few options for families”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The place itself is fine - basically furnished by IKEA. We stayed in the 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment and had a kitchenette with a small stove/range and washer. The biggest qualm I had with this place was upon arrival - waiting in front of the building with my kids and all my luggage for the manager dude to get there. They emailed me in advance to ask when my arrival time would be and I emailed them back with the time. Despite this, when we got there, no one was there. We had no cell since we'd just arrived, and had to run around in the streets looking for a working pay phone. Several phone calls later, we FINALLY reached the manager who said, "oh well we arent open yet." It might've been nice if he'd emailed me back to let me know that they wouldnt be open at my arrival time. Instead, we had no idea if he was located inside the building or what, so we basically pushed all the buttons on the security box and woke everyone up trying to find him. He finally showed up to take care of the paper work, etc., but the place wasn't cleaned yet so we had to wait while it was being cleaned. My kids were driving me CRAZY at this point and I too was exhausted from the plane ride, but regardless, out into the Madrid streets we go, looking for a place to get a coffee/waste time while the room was being cleaned.
Our stay was fine after we finally got in. We later saw other people waiting outside for the manager - so be aware that you will have to wait for him whenever he feels like getting there.
Unfortunately there aren't a lot of hotels in Madrid that can accommodate a family of 4 in one room, so we were stuck with this place. Also, this apt is located about 1/2-1 mile outside the main historical center. What's good is that you can get a decent night's sleep. What sucks is that its a long ---- walk with your complaining kids to the main area. Luckily there's lots of cabs around.
For you American families - yes there is a washer but NO DRYER! Apparently everyone in Spain hangs their clothes out to dry!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Central_Suites, General Manager at Palafox Central Suites, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Flowerchicken,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Palafox Central Suites and taking the time to share your opinion with us.

I'd like to firstly extend my apologies for the fact that our service did not meet your expectations and also inform you and any other readers about the new system we have installed in the entrance of our Palafox apartment building. We now have a buzzer called: "Reception" that you can push and then call and speak to our receptionists directly to their reception mobile. They can then remotely open the entrance door for you so you can wait inside while they walk the 3 blocks from our office to Palafox.

With this new door buzzer technology we have managed to stop any waiting from arriving guests. we still ask that you call us from the airport if possible to advise us of your arrival progress so we can best coordinate any other arrivals happening at a similar time. These methods combined are ensuring a fast and seamless check-in process. We hope that you can consider staying at Palafox Central Suites again in the future and you are welcome to ask for me directly so I can ensure extra care is taken in the service extended to you and your family.

Kind regards
Sam

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Wonderful, and one of the best places to stay in Madrid
- Clean
- Lots of space
- Excelent service
- Central, with metro at your door, right in the middle of the main city life
- Wonderful restaurants and bars around

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Great location, new furnishings, bright lighting and stylish interiors. Full kitchen making cooking no worries. Friendly local staff as well with good local tips drawn on a map for you etc. Me and my mates really enjoyed this place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I come into Madrid very often for work and the Palafox apartments are just perfect. They are very comfortable, fully equipped and the staff are really helpful and friendly. The location is also really convenient...wouldn't think about staying anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Palafox Central Suites? Share your experiences!