“My one time Arch Nemesis - revisited” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Catalonia Plaza Mayor
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Atocha 36, 28012 Madrid, Spain (Centro)   |
Ranked #34 of 458 hotels in Madrid
Melbourne, Australia
“My one time Arch Nemesis - revisited”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have a history (albeit a very brief one) of Madrid. It led me to an (unjustified) dislike of Madrid. I've often thought this was unfair and, although I intended on returning to test my (hasty) view, but I was never inclined to return when there were other unknown places to see. For a couple of decades I held this view. Recently I did decide to return for a weekend - what harm can 2 days do? - and the hotel choice was as equally important as the surrounds and sites Madrid had to offer. The hotel did not disappoint. The staff were more than helpful. Everything was nearby - I do love to walk - and the rooms were very acceptable with lots of space (& I didn't take the upgrade) and modern bathroom facilities. Luckily my opinion of Madrid has been restored - I love the weekend I had there and - I'd be more than happy to return to Madrid and the Plaza Mayor.

Room Tip: I believe there is a pool and/or spa facilities but I didn't have time to check them out.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
PZAMAYOR, Director General at Hotel Catalonia Plaza Mayor, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Sir,
We are really pleased your opinion about Madrid has changed. We really appreciate your comments and we are glad you enjoyed that weekend in Madrid and in our Hotel.
We hope seeing you very soon.
Best Regards

414 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

It was a good hotel for the price and location. We were able to walk to almost any sight-seeing location. It was very clean and the staff were all very accommodating. It was definitely worth it. The bar has really good food for a hotel bar with a large flat screen TV. They also have tucked away seating areas that are great for reading or doing some work.

• Stayed November 2012
PZAMAYOR, Director General at Hotel Catalonia Plaza Mayor, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Mr. Alonzos,
We are glad you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Your comments are of great value to us and encourage us to take a higher level of service.
Thank you for your valuable cooperation,
Manel Ruiz
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I picked this hotel in a rush & just hoped it was gonna b good. as soon as i got there i found out it was! the room was simply perfect: very big, clean with evrything u'd expect 2 find in an hotel room + a few things more. the shower was the best part!!! and the the staff was absolutely amazing. its a very good place at a super reasonable price!

Room Tip: i asked for a room with no street view, since i didnt wanna risk to be bothered by the noise of cars...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
PZAMAYOR, Director de Recepción at Hotel Catalonia Plaza Mayor, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Mr. Stefano,
I thank your kind words about our hotels.
We are glad that you find it comfortable.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Madrid.
Thanks again
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is a fresh and well equipped hotel. Rooms are comfortable and there is free wifi. It is walking distance to all the key sites but Calle de Atocha is a very busy and unattractive road. We looked out onto two very run down hostels opposite. Rooms are triple glazed so not noisy. There are much prettier squares in the immediate vicinity such as Santa Anna where most of the local restaurants are.
For good quality shopping don't bother with the area north of Sol up to Gran Via, better to go to Calle de Goya in Salamanca area.
Breakfast at hotel was excellent and there is a small gym with cardio equipment and a jacuzzi. Service and people very pleasant. When we arrived they gave us an offer on the breakfast.

Room Tip: Atocha road rooms are not that noisy given triple glazing.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
PZAMAYOR, Director General at Hotel Catalonia Plaza Mayor, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for kind comments, we really appreciate them and are happy you enjoyed your stay here in Madrid. We hope seeing you again very soon in Hoteles Catalonia.

The Hotel Management
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Great hotel, very similar to the Catalonia Atocha, in the same road that connects to Atocha (2 stations away by Metro).

The hotel interior is modern. Rooms are very good, not big but with enough room to work and to sleep. Is not a 5 stars hotel BUT it is reasonable enought to stay a couple of nights. The area where it is located is fine, nothing special, but close to the Metro station and 5 to 10 mintes away from all the good places in Madrid.
Free internet that works well. The service is also quite helfull.
Breakfast is reasonable and not expensive for a hotel (15Euro).

Overall a great recommendation for Madrid at a reasonable price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
PZAMAYOR, Gerente at Hotel Catalonia Plaza Mayor, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for your pleasant comments. Considering you as one of our dearest guests, we are hoping to see you again soon.
Armonk, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Clean and tidy in a newly renovated building, this modern hotel has the basic amenities of a 4-star hotel. The location is ideal: perfectly situated between Plaza de Santa Ana, La Latina, Sol, museums, Plaza Mayor. Our budget limit was 200 euros / night; we wanted the Santa Ana area. We stayed 7 nights.

We arrived at 8am craving sleep, and were given the option of a room immediately available but an upgrade: Superior for another 40/night... total of 240 euros / night. We took it.
It was comfortable, modern, had a nice bathroom and a step-out balcony. The Superior came w/ an electric kettle w/ tea and instant coffee. Don't know how the Standard or Premium rooms were but the Superior had 'adequate' space. I think the Premium was the same size, minus the balcony. Anything smaller, as I believe the Standard room is, would have been a bummer. The beds were comfortable.

We did not have the buffet breakfast, preferring to explore the area, but it looked good and was reasonably priced. There was also a comfortable looking bar and courtyard downstairs but I never saw people there so it didn't compel us.

The lobby was not a place to sit awhile, if you like to do that sort of thing. I would have preferred a hotel that had a lobby to a hang out, with a comfortable meeting spot (I was in the City w/ friends and family). I noticed other hotels we had passed up at the 200+ euro price range had nicer lobbies. For 240 euros / night, I wondered about next time seeking a more substantial-looking hotel w/ the trade-off of a less nice room.

Overall, I liked: the clean, new rooms and the location. I missed: having a comfortable lobby or bar to hang out in.

Room Tip: I imagine street-side can be noisy in some hotels, but don't be afraid of the street-side rooms...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PZAMAYOR, Director General at Hotel Catalonia Plaza Mayor, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments, we really appreciate them and are happy you enjoyed your stay in one of our best rooms, the SUPERIOR.

We understand your comments about our areas, but unfortunately in the center of Madrid, the buildings are historic, small, and this fact is not allowed down walls to create more space. The Hotel Catalonia Plaza Mayor is built in a residential building constructed at the end of the XIX century.

We hope seeing you again very soon in Hoteles Catalonia.

The Hotel Management
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

you ca benefit for a reasonable price for the best located hotel i have ever stayed in madrid, new rooms, very clean (important). dont know about breakfast as didnt book it with it. Good job. Missing just a partnership card (kind of miles and more)

• Stayed October 2012
Dear guest,

Above all, we thank you for having chosen Hoteles Catalonia, and hope you had a wonderful time here in Madrid.
We also really appreciate your kind comments and are happy to have satisfied you. Our main objective has been fulfilled.

We recommend you on your next visit to try our buffet breakfast. We assure you, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you very much and we hope seeing again very soon in our hoteles.

The Hotel Management.

Been to Hotel Catalonia Plaza Mayor? Share your experiences!