“Felt like a Business hotel...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of NH Madrid Nacional

You added NH Madrid Nacional to your Saves list
NH Madrid Nacional
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo del Prado, 48 | Barrio de Las Letras, 28014 Madrid, Spain (Formerly NH Nacional) (Paseo del Prado)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5% EXTRA DISCOUNT
Ranked #172 of 453 Hotels in Madrid
Miami
“Felt like a Business hotel...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed for a long weekend in June 2012. Not knowing the various neighborhoods in Madrid, I made my decision based on location of being on the main Boulevard and across from the Park. On my next trip I would like to be further north. Each time we left the hotel on foot, we walked north. (There is a very young and edgy area to the west of the hotel but really would like to have been much more to the north.)
We were staying for pleasure and felt this hotel was geared for business travel. Also, we felt there was not much character or design to the hotel. Service was fine. Rooms were quiet and clean. It simply did not leave me inspired.

Room Tip: We faced into the courtyard and it would have been much nicer to have faced the Park.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
Bilbao, Pais Vasco, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

When I booked this hotel for a weekend in Madrid, I had no idea just how convenient it would be. The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel has a green policy. Since we were travelling overseas on the Monday evening, the late checkout gave us the extra day to rest up before a long flight which was much appreciated. We wanted to visit the art galleries which were all within walking distance, as was the lovely Buen Retiro park. The breakfast was very good, and on the final day we were able to walk to the Atocha station and catch a bus to the airport. You need to ask for a new password for the free wifi service every day. Our stay merited a five star rating, but high expectations are sure to disappoint!

Room Tip: We had a balcony overlooking the park, great as my partner's a smoker and I am not!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My recently renovated room was luxurious and had French doors opening to a lovely view. The location was perfect-buses, including the tour bus stop in front of the hotel and the Atocha train and metro stations are about a block away. The area is attractive and safe and the Prado and Thyssen and other museums are a short, pleasant, scenic walk. The staff were very helpful and efficient and spoke English so my lack of Spanish was not a problem. The MacDonalds restaurant next door to the hotel was very convenient and unlike any I have visited in the USA. We had great coffee, pastries and juice there several mornings and were delighted to have coffee au lait served in a glass instead of the paper or styrofoam used in the USA. I am accustomed to staying in 4 or 5 star hotels and this hotel definitely deserves 4 stars. There are also many other restaurants and charming plazas near the hotel. Three other people that I had been on a tour with (all over 65-not college kids) decided to extend their trip to Spain and stayed in the same hotel. All were delighted with their rooms and the hotel and its location and service and the affordable price. It is a great value. There was the usual street noise found in a city but it did not disturb my sleep at night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sao Jose Dos Campos, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Very close to Atocha rail station and to Prado Museum, making it perfect if you´re just passing by Madrid for a couple of days, tripping by train. With a few squares you can find Queen Sofia Museum, the Main Square (Plaza Mayor) and the towncenter (Puerta del Sol). Excellent breakfast, don´t miss the ham, cheeses and pastries!

Room Tip: ask for a view. Every side is perfect
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Buffalo, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has a great location to many things. The main park is right down the road along with the Parado Museum. Puerta del Sol is about 15 minutes walking along with Gran Via. The rooms were very nice and the staff friendly. The breakfast was amazing and the best at any hotel I've stayed thus far.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Let me put it very simply... if you are looking for a 4 star hotel. THIS IS NOT IT! We went to Madrid for 2 weeks was the wrong hotel to stay in.

The Good: Location and Price.

The Bad:1. Since this hotel is priced very well they had GROUPS of college kids checking in almost very night. I felt like I was in a college dorm most nights. I had to change my room 3 times in total.
2. When they did move out room to their highest floor they failed to tell us that there is a club right next to the hotel and it has an open roof. Its open from Thur. through Sat. and trust me we did not get a wink of sleep.
3. Rooms are not clean. I walked around bare foot for just a few min. and they feet were black!
4. They turn off the hotel air from 12am to 8am. I don't know about you but usually when I say in a hotel I like to control when I would like the air and when I would not,.
5. Internet ALWAYS had problems!
6. They do not replace all bathroom toiletries on a regular basis. I found myself every morning having to get shampoo or body wash out of the maids carts. I don't think anyone should have to do that.

TRUST ME you can find other hotels with just as good of a location and with the same cost.

Room Tip: Dont get a room by the club.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I chose this hotel for its proximity to the Prado museum and the main train station for my last night in Spain before a long flight home. Staff were pleasant and helpful. WiFi is free in the rooms as well as the lobby. My superior room was quite spacious but hot as the aircon barely functioned and the setting could not be changed. The walls are thin indeed and noises from the corridor and next room disturbed my sleep. I thought it overpriced and I had to pay by the hour for a late checkout. The breakfast offered a variety of foods for all tastes.

Room Tip: Select a room at the back as these are the quietest I am told.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to NH Madrid Nacional? Share your experiences!