“Solid for a business traveler” 4 of 5 stars

Husa Princesa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Princesa 40, 28008 Madrid, Spain (Centro)   |
Ranked #219 of 457 Hotels in Madrid
Newark
“Solid for a business traveler”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I stayed in a "club room" for 4 nights in March-April 2014.

PROS:

- Location, location, location! This hotel is centrally located. It is extremely close to conveniences like Starbucks, El Corte Ingles, restaurants, and sites like the Plaza Espana.

- Big room, especially for a European hotel. Pleasant and functional.

- Internet service was fast and, usually, reliable.

CONS:

- The club room was nice, but I didn't find it to be special or to give me any special services, the way that club rooms in most hotels I have stayed in have always come with additional services and/or nicer rooms, more amenities, etc.

- The Internet, though fast, was oddly administered. You could only connect one device per code, and you would have to pay for each code. If you wanted to switch devices, then you'd have to log off on one device and log in with another. Unfortunately, I had a few instances in which the device would not let me log off, even if I turned off the device, so I would have to continue using the device I was on or continue to mess with the device until it would disconnect. I find that very cumbersome, and it's not what I expect from a hotel internet connection in 2014.

- The staff and service was inconsistent. Some of the people were very friendly. Others were rather cold. I often felt as though the staff seemed to think that they were "doing me a favor" (against their wishes), as opposed to being friendly and solicitous, and WANTING to be of service, answer my questions, etc. I mean, really--do you really feel the need to be short with me just for trying to buy a bus tour ticket and asking questions about the route pick-up location?

- Lots of options for breakfast, but, if you don't eat eggs, the choices seem to be quite diminished.

- Very, very noisy. This is the downside of the location. I was on the 6th floor, and the traffic noise was ridiculous.

Overall, I will probably stay there again because the location is so good, the room was decent, it was convenient for the event that I had to attend, and the Internet worked well enough for me to get my work done and Skype with my family. That being said, I'm still going to be on the lookout for another hotel in Madrid that has similar "pros" and where the service feels a little more welcoming.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
CRMPRINCESA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Husa Princesa, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Nadia R , thank you for sharing your review, and for your positive comments regarding the hotel . On the other hand, I have noted your constructive feedback.
Compared to standard room, Club room offers additional benefits such as : New refurbished room, coffee/tea service, bathrobe and slippers, Premium beds, complete bath set, bottle of water, welcome drink, late check out 2 pm, ...) , all these advantages are not available in a standard room.
We are working to improve internet service.we hope you will be able to enjoy it in your next stay.
We are very sorry for your comments concerning staff and service. is certainly not indicative of our service standards. This is not the level of service neither you nor we expect, and I offer our sincere apologies to you.
Windows are soundproofed with four anchor points. It may be that some of these points were not properly adjusted. We will check to avoid discomfort.
Thank you again for your interest in our hotel, we look forward to welcoming you in a near future. Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Alexandria, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I've stayed here for a weak in December and it was great
Very well located and within walking distance to many interesting " Plazas " and stores and a metro station is just opposite to it
Helpful staff clean rooms nice and warm breakfast
I would definitely go there again whenever I visit Madrid
Note : you should ask for a street view room if they got any

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest, Thank you for your charming review of your stay at Husa Princesa. We are delighted that you loved your room , facilities and the location of the hotel. We wait for your next visit. Best regards.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed at this hotel during Madrid's tourism fair in January with other business associates.
Good service, breakfast and business centre. All though the place is quiet and the beds are acceptable, the rooms need to be upgraded.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest, Thank you for your comments concerning your stay in our hotel on the occassion of FITUR. We look forward to welcoming you in a near future and please try our new Club Rooms. We are carrying out a a comprehensive renovation plan , and we are happy to offer right now a total of 148 refurbished rooms, our new Club Rooms. We keep on working ! Best regards.
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed here 3 nights at end of March and really enjoyed the break. Rooms are large with very comfortable beds. On floor 6 the street noise was not a problem. Very clean with daily fresh linens. Good choice at breakfast. Staff at this hotel are excellent, very helpful always. Easy access into city. Best hotel I have stayed in for a city break.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less street noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, Thank you very much for your kind review concerning your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you had a comfortable stay and we have passed on your kind comments to our team. We look forward to welcoming back again one day soon.
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

For a 90€ /night at the end of March,this genuine 4-star hotel offers you anything you need (good location, plenty of friendly staff,spacious and clean rooms,free wifi, 3rd party managed gym and indoor pool on -1...) except a good restaurant...but why would you eat at the hotel if you have the very best Bask,Gallician and other Spanish food literally within a 50m walking distance outside the hotel? Recommended! PS: top floors have a great view...

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest, Thank you for the review following your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you had a nice stay .We look forward to welcoming back again in a near future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I had booked the Princesa as a Christmas present to my partner and glad I had. The hotel is around 20-40 minutes from the airport, as others state do not waste your money on a taxi the underground is extremely easy to navigate, line 8 followed by line 6 (circle) and it brings you practically outside the hotel, I would recommend checking whether a tourist ticket works out cheaper. On arrival the reception area was extremely busy, however, the staff manage the que well and are extremely polite and always helpful. Our room was on the 6th floor and had views of the main road in the front of the hotel, granted the noise outside can be distracting at nights especially at weekends you will get used to it, otherwise take ear plugs like I had!
The rooms are spotless and cleaned each of the three days we were there, if you decide to use the gym and spa facilities you will likely need your towel changed often and leaving them in the bath will ensure a new one daily, if swimming remember and pick up your cap from Reception.
We booked B&B as after doing our research on Tripadvisor we identified that there were no shortage of great restauarants in Madrid City, also the food was expensive in the hotel and the drinks were ridiculously expensive!
The breakfast was nice and had a great range for various Nationalities, for example there is streaky bacon, egg, toast, cold meats, yoghurts etc.
The toaster is rather slow and should you like it well done you will need to put your bread through a few times, some reviews were over critical stating you would not be able to find the toaster, not that difficult really just follow the room round!
If you have mobility problems this hotel will not cause you any issues unless you use the spa as there are some stairs to navigate, otherwise the gym is fully accessible.
In the evening there are no shortage of things to do, the department store next door is ridiculously big with no shortage of departments, you will definitely not be bored, also there is a great wee dunkin donuts in the basement and a Starbucks right next to the hotel. If you are fussy with food there is no shortage of McDonalds and Burger King in walking distance, if not there is mountains of amazing wee restaurants serving everything from Spanish to German, however, do not try the all you can eat buffet at 10 euros it is beyond awful and should we have had children with us I would not even put them through the cheap processed rubbish they serve.

Overall a very nice, well organised, spotless hotel with expensive food and drink, would I go back? absolutely!

Found this review helpful? remember and mark to say so :)

Room Tip: Not sure if the further up you go the street noise gets less, otherwise maybe a room at the back
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
CRMPRINCESA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Husa Princesa, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are happy to read you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that it was a nice Christmas present for you and your husband. Thank you for your constructive considerations we will do our best to improve our hotel standards,.Once again, thank you very much and see you soon here at Husa Princesa.
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

A very good hotel close enough to everything service superb nothing bad to say shopson the door plenty of restaurants when we left at 4 o.clock iI'in the morning hotel laid on coffee and Danish pastry free of charge at that time of morning was a very nice gesture

Room Tip: Haven't got one
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, Thank you for the review you posted on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you had a nice stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in a very near future. Best regards.

Been to Husa Princesa? Share your experiences!